@Gwen-Dragon dance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon.gif Finally...that worked. I now have all my appointments in the Vivaldi calendar.
vcube_small.gif vivaldifeatures.gif cheerleaders.gif guitarra.gif wave.gif
@Gwen-Dragon Yes, that was one of the regressions that the "bugfix" in question caused. I believe it has been properly fixed with changes pushed to master yesterday and it should be included in any build from today or later. Any affected events might have to be fixed manually.
If the problems persist please let me know.
@LeeWolf Thanks for taking the time to test and report on the calendar
We have had some reports where there is no effect in the UI on saving / closing the editor for an event, even if it actually is saved and visible after a restart of the browser. Have had problems reproducing that behaviour to figure out what is the cause. If you have some steps which reliably get to this state from a restart that would be great help for us.
The events layout buttons control the amount of info displayed. If your events only have title data then they do not have any visible effect.
Full shows most info, like description, url, location, etc.
Compact is the same as full but each piece of info is truncated to a few liness
Minimal will show only the event title
Is this for a local calendar or online? Online calendars should be getting the color from server and so changing it locally might not have an effect
Do you have more details for this, steps to reproduce? Seems to work well for me testing it.
I had a problem where my app was blocked when trying to connect Vivaldi to Google. I had permissions to allow less secure apps and did not have 2FA enabled. However, I was able to resolve it with the following. I do not know if it will work with users who have enabled 2FA.
Go to Google's Security > API controls
Select "MANAGE THIRD-PARTY APP ACCESS"
Select "Configure New App > Search for the OAuth app name or Client ID"
Search for "Vivaldi"
Select "Vivaldi" from the search results
Check the box for "OAuth Client ID " and click "Select"
Check the box for "Trusted: Can access all Google services" and click "Configure"
Connect Vivaldi's calendar to your google calendar.
@jane-n Yes, I also had 2 "Local Account" calendar accounts showing, one for vivaldi.net. I was having other problems, so I ended uninstalling and reinstalling Vivaldi. I don't have those 2 accounts showing now.
@alvk Same here with my Zimbra/Caldav-account. Many login-popups but no syncing.
I created vivaldi.net - calendars and imported all calenars from Zimbra to have it work in Vivaldi.
But that is not a solution for Caldav...
@janrifkinson No, if you want to create a vivaldi.net calendar utilizing the Vivaldi servers you need to pick Vivaldi.net as your account type and input the credentials for your Vivaldi account. Visit https://webmail.vivaldi.net to create calendars and import iCal files.
Screenshot from 2021-01-11 19-26-37.png
@janrifkinson We gotta distinguish between syncing and importing. Importing is independent from Google server, we’re just using iCal files that can come from anywhere. If you are creating a calendar on Vivaldi Webmail Calendar server and import to it, the events should be synced to your other devices. If you import into a Vivaldi browser calendar directly, there seems to be no syncing. It’s all a bit unclear.
@eggert I see. Thanks for that very clear analysis. It actually hadn't occurred to me that the cal data was local so sending mail might be a problem.
I'm not clear on how I'm going to approach this, as it looks like I will be continuing to use Thunderbird, or perhaps kmail if it gets fixed. I might use the v.net calendar along with my email there.
I'm having a similar issue. Running 3.5.2131.8 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Win10.
I added a calendar account for a CalDAV server on my NAS. It went OK, but it then shows two identical Calendar Accounts and Calendars. I'm seeing duplicate items on the calendar. When I try to delete one of the Calendar Accounts, I get the "operation cannot be undone" warning, but when I click yes to proceed, the button goes to "Deleting" but never comes back, and it doesn't delete the calendar account.
I was able to delete the extra Calendar, though. Then I went back and tried to delete the extra calendar account again, but same result.
Upon further inspection the multitude of visible calendars are public ones but I'm not subscribed to them and thus they don't appear in the web version of the calendar. They are also empty ones I think.
They can be found in:
And seem to creep in even if I try to remove them.
It then looks like this:
which is kinda unusable.