Mouse Gesture Trails

• I want to see what I draw. 😀

• and cancellation time

• And an option to change the colors and overall look and to disable the trails if you want! I would love gesture trails.

• Please support it, I like it very much

• I support this very much. If developers want to have an idea how to implement this, look at Firegestures in Firefox. They already have the visual part of it in Mouse Gesture Settings, just need to move it into the page 🙂

@pathduck Firegestures relates to a totally different type of UI design.

However, some of the same people who invented mouse gestures and gesture trails already work at Vivaldi, so this is the kind of feature that is more a matter of time, than of will.

• Ambassador

Gestures are shown in the Status Bar for a brief moment.

0_1536265643850_Gesture Back in Status Bar.png

• @pesala said in Mouse Gesture Trails:

Gestures are shown in the Status Bar for a brief moment.

0_1536265643850_Gesture Back in Status Bar.png

True. But only after the mouse button is released and the gesture is applied. Which kind of defeats the purpose of seeing beforehand what your gesture will accomplish 🙂

• @ayespy said in Mouse Gesture Trails:

@pathduck Firegestures relates to a totally different type of UI design.

However, some of the same people who invented mouse gestures and gesture trails already work at Vivaldi, so this is the kind of feature that is more a matter of time, than of will.

If it would draw the line as blue when you're drawing a correct line, but then red if you followed it by an incorrect line, then this could be a great way of finding out if and when you're messing up the gesture.

For the sake of the example, lets say you only have 1 gesture enabled, which is Up followed by Left, and you're doing Up followed by Right, then the line going up would be blue, but then the line going right would be red, that would quickly inform you that you got the first part right, but not the second. First and foremost you know that it registered as an attempted gesture and secondly you know where you went wrong, so you should be able to figure out how to do it, without having to check them in settings.

That's just a basic example, but it would be even more useful for more complex gestures. And if it then could show how to do it correctly, that would be even better.

• Ambassador

• Please consider adding this feature to Vivaldi! 🙂

• Vote for this feature! I love this very much.

• Ambassador

This post is deleted!

• Showing the mouse gesture trails would be a great feature. I voted for this and maybe it can be re-visited by the devs. For now, what I do to show the gesture trails is the following :
    1 - disable mouse gestures in Vivaldi, yes, disable them
    2 - install StrokesPlus, great portable freeware app to add gestures to any Windows program
    3 - inside StrokePlus create a profile for Vivaldi and match all the gestures that I want to use. In this app, I can now set the color, width, etc. of the gesture trail. The profile is locked to the app so the gestures are detected/valid when the Vivaldi window has focus.

I hope this workaround helps out until the devs can look at this again.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.