YouTube videos often fail to play

• I see the below error regularly on Youtube. It's been like this for many months. Is it a typical problem on Vivaldi for Mac? 1.16.1183.3 (Official Build) (64-bit)

0_1531056686760_1cbbb132-f48b-4662-a8a0-46685e754950-image.png

@iarla On some Macs, yes, some videos types will not play if Vivaldi's GPU hardware acceleration is not available on your system. This has been a longstanding issue for which many of us are all still waiting for a fix.

Youtube videos are often available in several formats. Youtube videos encoded in, say, the vp9 format will play fine even with if hardware acceleration is unavailable; some other formats, such as H.264, will not.

• @xyzzy thanks, I appreciate the info. I do have a late 2011 MacBook Pro. I've reported the issue as a bug, but I'm sure I'm not the first.

• @xyzzy Is this being addressed, yet? I'm moving from Chrome to Vivaldi, and I generally like it. However, this problem is going to be an issue since I view a lot of embedded videos or via links.

Thanks.

• @xyzzy But the same video runs at the same machine (iMac, late 2009) at any other browser (Opera etc.) At https://gist.github.com/ruario/bec42d156d30affef655 all videos are running. But none at facebook and a lot at youtube.

I appreciate all of your patience and all reports that you post here. This is a huge problem that has gone on for too long already. However, I don't work for Vivaldi so I have limited insight into what actually goes on behind the scenes. All that I can tell you is that all of the Mac media playback bugs are still open and have a high priority assigned to them. I also do my best to make sure that all critical issues affecting the Vivaldi Mac community don't get forgotten.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.