GTK native theme window controls

• Possibly a subset of this FR: Native Themes to Match the OS Design but specifically for GTK-based Linux distros. A quick search didn't show up any other similar FR (not obviously at least).

This was asked a while ago, but basically same question. Chromium in Linux (GNOME and other GTK based DEs to be specific) has a beautiful feature where you can use the GTK native window theme, so you get the same window control buttons in Chromium as you do in every other application even with disabled system title bar and borders. It looks really nice.

Vivaldi has the option to either "enable native window" which gives the native window control but at the expense of showing the title bar, or to disable it which give a nice title-bar-less window but with the client side rendered window control. It would be wonderful if Vivaldi could have the best of both worlds in this respect, same as Chromium.

Does any know if/when/how this could be added to Vivaldi?

(BTW Firefox can't do this on Linux either, not even the beta version, v59, which finally can hide the window title bar but, same as Vivaldi, cannot used native the GTK theme for window controls).

@balvik said:

Does any know if/when/how this could be added to Vivaldi?

Nobody knows, and nobody would say if they thought they knew. As you can see, there are currently nearly 500 feature requests here, and the entire Vivaldi Team is currently only 43 with one on maternity leave, and not all are developers.

One can only make requests and hope that they get addressed.

@pesala I could search on Jira using a consistent argument, which I don't have.

• This is really important to me too. Whenever I use Linux, it bugs me a little that Vivaldi doesn't use the GTK theme of my DE.

There is a similar request on Jira. It's marked as New Feature.

• @balvik said in GTK native theme window controls:

Chromium in Linux (GNOME and other GTK based DEs to be specific) has a beautiful feature where you can use the GTK native window theme, so you get the same window control buttons in Chromium as you do in every other application even with disabled system title bar and borders. It looks really nice.

I just installed Chromium for Linux on Elementary OS(GTK), and they finally have the GTK theme of my DE when it comes to the window buttons, and the header bar(top bar of the application), but not when it comes to the scrollbar. So I hope the request on Jira includes not just the window control buttons, the removal of the system title bar and borders, but also the scrollbar.

Eventually, a skinning of everything in the UI to include the address bar buttons would be taken from the GTK theme, but right now just having the above would be nice.

• @balvik said in GTK native theme window controls:

This was asked a while ago, but basically same question. Chromium in Linux (GNOME and other GTK based DEs to be specific) has a beautiful feature where you can use the GTK native window theme, so you get the same window control buttons in Chromium as you do in every other application even with disabled system title bar and borders. It looks really nice.

Yes – and I'd like the browser to use the system's color scheme for it's tabs and other controls, too, per default, or at least as an option...

This is perhaps the single aspect of Vivaldi that somewhat annoys me – that it looks like an alien body on most desktops, even on Windows, except on Windows 10 where it nicely blends in.

(BTW Firefox can't do this on Linux either, not even the beta version, v59, which finally can hide the window title bar but, same as Vivaldi, cannot used native the GTK theme for window controls).

The latest Firefox now can (see here).

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.