Cookies aren't always deleted
Hi! I was tipped off on Twitter that not all cookies are always deleted in Vivaldi. Here I tested on a macOS in a fresh profile.
- In a first tab, go to vivaldi://settings/siteData and make sure there are no saved cookies.
- In a second tab, open cnn.com
- Reload the first tab (settings) to see all the many cookies deposited by the site
- Close the second (cnn.com) tab
- In the first tab (settings), click "Remove All" and confirm "Clear All". It now appears as though all cookies are gone
- Reload the first tab (settings)
Results: Some remaining cookies are now listed again.
Expected: No cookies should be listed.
You can see my screen recording here: https://twitter.com/privacytests/status/1584299895338332160
Can anyone else reproduce this? Thanks.
- I loaded cnn.com in a tab
- I went to Settings, Privacy and Security, Saved Cookies, searched for "cnn" and deleted all the relevant cookies.
- I reloaded the cnn.com page
- I reopened the settings dialog and searched saved cookies for "cnn"
The cookies reappeared. This is not surprising to me. Cookies are loaded when you visit a site. If you reload a page, you are revisiting the site.
The same thing happens if I use the Padlock icon to clear the site's cookies, then reload the tab.
@Pesala I have been able to reproduce this issue on Windows as well, so there's probably no need to move to the MacOS forum.
@privacytests I am able to reproduce it when clearing from the Chromium settings. I don't believe Vivaldi officially supports those options even though they do allow it to be accessed for a few missing options from the actual Vivaldi settings page.
Why use the internal Chromium settings in this case?
vivaldi://settings/privacy/'s option to clear cookies works properly as well as clearing browsing data from
I can reproduce your video steps on Win7 with snapshot 5.6.2829.3 clean profile.
I previously tested the same behavior but using only [Delete all cookies] button from Vivaldi privacy settings, and, in this case, all cookies was deleted (and only "local storages" data was kept in chrome://settings/siteData)
EDIT : Probably a Chromium issue as i can reproduce it also with Brave 1.47.9 and Chromium 109.0.5362.0 and Edge 108.0.1453.0
I can reproduce the same thing in
The issue is that sites like this have constant network traffic from trackers going on, generating new cookies.
In your video you don't do a refresh of the cookies page after closing CNN. So any new cookies being set in that small interval will not be deleted. You'll need to refresh the siteData page after the site is closed, then clear data.
Doing a Clear Site Data the usual/proper way will clear all cookies. The siteData page only clears the currently listed cookies.