Alt+backtick not working as task switcher (possible bug)
- Use US keyboard layout and a desktop environment/window manager that uses both Alt+tab and Alt+backtick to cycle tasks (such as GNOME, Budgie, Unity, OSX, or Windows with wincycle).
- Open two or more windows in Vivaldi and open at least one other windowed application/program.
- From one of the Vivaldi windows, press Alt+backtick (not grave deadkey). Do not release.
- Holding the Alt key, repeatedly press the backtick as desired. Release all keys.
- Press Alt+tab. Do not release.
- Holding the Alt key, repeatedly press tab as desired. Release all keys.
Pressing Alt+backtick should cycle between all open Vivaldi windows and only among Vivaldi windows.
Pressing Alt+tab should cycle between open applications/programs/tasks.
Pressing Alt+backtick in Vivaldi does nothing until Alt is released, whereupon the main menu opens.
Pressing Alt+tab works as expected.
Vivaldi either steals focus or fails to pass on to the DE/WM any "Alt+" hotkeys which it does not recognise (e.g., Alt+backtick).
Comments and observations:
This may be related to the problem underlying issues with Alt+shift and Ctl+Alt+arrows. The proposed solution to the Alt+shift problem, namely disabling "Alt Key for Main Menu", is a kludge and does not work here anyway--the menu may not appear but the hotkey is still not passed on to the DE/WM for task switching.
Possibly relevant threads (in the absence of a proper bug tracker):
Alt menu cannot be disabled
Vivaldi 3.0.1874.38 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Linux (Solus 4.1 Fortitude)
Bug has been reported and was assigned the number: VB-68418.
codic last edited by
@Gossar I'm also on solus plasma (which is just awesome). I'm using the vivaldi-snapshot (can you test with this as well?) package instead of the standard vivaldi one, and plasma's alt+backtick works well. i also have mate and budgie installed so I can check in on their progress. just booted into both and they work perfectly as well. cannot reproduce