Vivaldi suddenly slows to a crawl--bad interaction with Chrome



  • I started using Vivaldi 2 years ago (I have the latest version of Vivaldi--I installed the update in the middle of this and it made no difference). I usually have Vivaldi and Chrome windows open at the same time, using each browser for different purposes. This was fine that whole time, particularly in terms of speed. Vivaldi was always a little slower than Chrome, but it was hardly noticeable.

    The problem started with the odd window opening reporting a failure to connect to the internet, even though the computer was connected and other windows functioned normally. Closing that window and attempting to open the target website again always worked. This was once to twice a day. Then a few days ago I opened both browsers and everything slowed to a crawl. Almost every attempt to open a new window ended in a time-out failure, if I did get a window open, operations like scrolling would make the window freeze for 2 or three minutes.

    After a couple days there were two developments. 1.) I found that the situation improved greatly if only one browser was open. 2) I found an app I use in Chrome to give a Vivialdi like home page consisting of linked icons was corrupted. once I reinstalled that not only Chrome was back to normal, and Vivaldi improved surprisingly.

    As it is now, when Chrome is open alone it is normal. When Vivaldi is open it runs very slowly. An operation like opening a new window or downloading a small jpg file can take 30 second to 2 minutes. If I leave a window unattended for a couple minutes (for example if I leave the room or work in another window) the window will be frozen or blank and have to be reloaded and that can take 2 to 3 minutes. Sometimes when I stay working in one window, after a few minutes it will begin to function normally after a couple minutes; sometimes it won't.

    Opening both browsers still slows the speed down to next to nothing.

    I did an internet speed test in Vivaldi and the result was 75 mps down and 10 up, which is better than it was the last time I checked about a year ago. It doesn't seem to square with what is going on.

    One last thing: my anti-virus software is Avast which I grow more and more distrustful of--not that I think it let through a virus, but that Avast itself is significantly slowing things down.

    Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or what I can do to fix it?

    Thanks.


  • Moderator

    @HelenaConstantine Avast has been known to choke the living daylights out of Vivaldi. Not all the time, not everyone, not all machines. But one day it's ok, usually an update of Vivaldi is performed, and suddenly Avast doesn't trust it any more and invades and chokes off all the processes to "make sure it's not doing anything dangerous." If it is, indeed, Avast, turning it off might not change anything. You may have to uninstall it for relief.

    To see if it's anything in the browser itself, you can refresh your profile and see if that improves anything.



  • thanks



  • Hi,

    I have the same issue with Vivaldi, which I have been using for the last 2 years.
    It eats through 16 GB of ram and slows to a crawl. It uses twice as much resources as Chrome or the new Edge on Chrome . If by any chance Windows falls asleep, it will be eating a lot of processing power and crash at some point. Having 20 tabs open now, uses 80% of RAM.
    This is unfortunate, as moving away from Vivaldi is very hard. No other browser allows such customization and workflow.

    Thanks,


  • Moderator

    @miguletz It's not Vivaldi. It's Vivaldi + something. Try looking into the issues I mentioned. There are also a number of kinds of 3rd party security software that do this - not just Avast.


  • Vivaldi Ambassador

    I have been using Vivaldi since the Alpha version and have never had slowdowns like you report.
    Just today I had two dozen or more Vivaldi tabs open in one session.
    In a different workspace had another Vivaldi session going with maybe 10 - 12 tabs.
    No slowdowns at all, CPU at less than 7% and memory use nowhere near my 16GB available.
    Yes over the years there have been speed, CPU and memory issues especially on the Snapshot version I run but for my system they seem to have been largely resolved.
    I am quite sure that Vivaldi is not the culprit here. As said previously, something else is going on with Vivaldi. The result unfortunate.
    One difference, I do not now, nor have I ever used chrome. I do occasionally use PaleMoon, SeaMonkey or FF along with Vivaldi and never had an issue.

    Vivaldi 2.7.1628.12 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Revision a1c9620562e1b6690bcbd67d17f8b6975ef53789
    OS Windows 10 OS Version 1903 (Build 18362.239)
    JavaScript V8 7.6.303.29

    HP Pavillion laptop, i5 6200U, Intel Video, 16 GB RAM
    Sophos Home Premium anti-virus (used to use AVG with no issues)

    Follow the advice above, turn things off then back on to see if something changes, run things a different way, but just do one change at at time.

    P.S.
    Sorry for the long reply. Good luck!



  • Those of you with sudden slowdown or high cpu with Vivaldi running, try this before refresh your profile:

    1. Save your session then shutdown Vivaldi.
    2. Go to the Default folder & delete both Current Session & Last Session file.
    3. Restart vivaldi & restore you previous session.

    This is a frequent problem with corrupted session file, usually the session file size will be doubled of normal size when it happened.

    Hope this help.



Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.