What is stopping you from using V all the time?

• First - great job team V. It is progressing nicely in a very timely manner. There are so many things about Vivaldi I like. Especially thanks for the high level of communication from the team - that goes such a long way! Second, I find myself using o12 most of the time - and that really bugs me. So I started to try to force myself to use the big V all the time. Here is why I haven't completely made the switch yet: - Speed (or the perception of speed). I really miss the active download indicators. With V, I never know if it is actually doing something. The progress background indicator on V is almost imperceptible. - Colors. I have o set to use the default system theme. So it looks like most other programs. It is easy to spot the borders on the screen. With V - it looks so different around the outside that it is hard to tell sometimes where a web page stops and the V interface starts. I'd love the ability to default to the same look as the system setting. - Can we have a setting so that click/shift click/control shift click act like the old o? Or some way of "never open a new window"? Shift into a new tab and shift-control into a background tab just seems so natural. I stop constantly to close errantly opened windows with V.

• @btabke:

First - great job team V. It is progressing nicely in a very timely manner. There are so many things about Vivaldi I like. Especially thanks for the high level of communication from the team - that goes such a long way ! ….

~
    Yes, they have come a long way in a short time, and I'm especially impressed that they built a proper horizontal MENU for Vivaldi, after Google forced users of Chrome to change to that stupid button, or else hit the street.

Vivaldi gave us back CHOICE in the menu system, and proved that Google's decision was purely political..

Though a few functions still need to be added to the menu, the framework is now there, so it is relatively easy to do this, and I have edited my own installation's menues (inside of the huge bundle.js file) to some degree, in order to prove it.

Speed is not too important an issue for me, but not having LAZY TABS forces it to slow down with too few tabs open.

Colours ? - I know how to change them thru CSS, and I have done so.

UI Inflexibility is a big issue for me with Vivaldi, as I come most recently from Mozilla-based browsers, which have this wonderful Drag-and-Drop Customize screen, where nearly all elements can be repositioned to my liking, and the few which cannot, well those can be managed thru a few selected extensions.

And as Vivaldi does not fully/officially/properly (you choose) support extensions yet, that limits what I can try.

So Limited Extension Support would be another large reason.

I also need to have some Custom BUTTONS, for single-clicking to reach certain functions which I use a lot, and the same above limitations apply to making those happen too.

I have been able to tweak the UI layout somewhat thru CSS, but although powerful, there are limits to what CSS can do.

One more biggie is that Bookmark Management is too primitive so far, for bookmark-oholics like me.

Another is where a new bookmark will open - we need to have the choice to position it next to the parent tab, in order to be properly organized and get our work done - It just makes better sense to allow that.

UPDATE :

Position of Opening of Tabs in general has been fixed by an extension, which has worked fine in MY tests.
    Details : https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser/3535-suggestions-for-the-tabs#27570
    ~

• Speed, that's what I need!

• for me, nothing.
    V is currently my default browser. I have customised my UI to a point where I like it. Sure, a config file for the JS, or maybe putting things in separate files that can be edited individually instead of the massive conglomerate that exists right now, but otherwise, I love it

Uhhhhmmmm…nothing?

• For me it's the missing mail client and the dev tools which are still not integrated into the main Vivaldi window. Plus a few things I don't quite like with the current dev tools.

• I use Vivaldi as my main browser since the day one.

Surely has still some cons and missing features I badly need but, all in all, is already better than anything else, aside Opera obviously.

• Lack of mail client. That keeps Opera 12 going for me.

I also can't find where/how to clear cookies and history when I close the browser. Should be automatic.

Having said that, I find I like Vivaldi and I use it more and more.

Mike

• @baomike:

Lack of mail client. That keeps Opera 12 going for me.

I lack it badly too. But I got used Operamail, and I use it when Opera is closed and, slowly, I started to use Opera less frequently

Opera anyway is still mandatory on low powered and older machines. Everything else is outdated or too heavy for the purpose

I also can't find where/how to clear cookies and history when I close the browser. Should be automatic.

Some related posts.

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/2822-tips-tricks#25213

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/all/2822-tips-tricks#25940

• I do use Vivaldi as my primary browser. Apart from the frequent crashes (which I'm sure will go away sooner or later), Vivaldi is weak on East Asian language support. Most modern browsers are capable of detecting correct character encodings even when the webpages fail to send encoding information. Also, typing Japanese into a text box (like this one) on Vivaldi is somewhat painful (Vivaldi doesn't cooperate well with the IME) on Mac at least. Considering the huge number of (potential) Chinese users, I don't think East Asian language support is low-priority.

• Also mail and feeds - when I turn on the PC, Opera 12 is my first port of call to catch up - so it's still the browser that's opened by default.

When mail and feeds come to Vivaldi I will be straight over to Vivaldi as default. (And as soon as a trial period shows that mail is "safe" in Vivaldi then I'll stop using Opera. Once Vivaldi installs as a normal program instead of in my temp user space, I will work on convincing the wife to switch so I can dump Opera completely…)

• Vivaldi is my first browser now.
    I left Opera 12 because of strange behaviour on some websites expecially with SSL.
    Opera Blink was the second, but i kicked it becaus of slow development and bad user feedback on Operas side.

• @ryofurue Some bugs with asian lang are known by Developers. There are also some testers with asian langugae.
    Please report bugs if you find any.

• ~
    Crashes are not frequent with Vivaldi for me, fortunately.

It's the other reasons which i posted earlier.
    ~

• My main reasons:

• No bookmarks menu in the classic menu bar.
    • No "Paste & Go" right click option.
    • No address bar drop down (to show the entered url's).
    • Speed dials move around, if i resize the window (i want 4 in a row, not 2 or 5 on resize).
    • I can't expand tab stacks. I need to unstack and restack them to view each one as a single tab. That was much better in O12.
    • No Download-Tab or -window. Only the small paneele thing that shows the complete paneele, but i never used and don't like the paneele at all.

• @rabe85:

• No "Paste & Go" right click option.

ctrl-shift-v, or even ctrl-v + enter

@rabe85:

• Speed dials move around, if i resize the window (i want 4 in a row, not 2 or 5 on resize).

I might be the only ne, but I prefer a responsive desing. Only using four columns on a wider screen seems like a waste of screen real estate to me, likewise having four columns when only two fit seems silly too
    The other ones, I agree with

• @sleumas2000:

@rabe85:

I might be the only ne, but I prefer a responsive desing. Only using four columns on a wider screen seems like a waste of screen real estate to me, likewise having four columns when only two fit seems silly too
    The other ones, I agree with

A good solution would be an option to set a number of columns and if there is no number or 0, it should sort it like now.

• @rabe85:

My main reasons:

• No bookmarks menu in the classic menu bar.
    • No "Paste & Go" right click option [on the address field]….

~
    Yes those two matter to me as well, and to many other folks.

BTW, I have found a way to move the Bookmark Button over to near the horizontal menu by using custom CSS, to compensate for that somewhat.

It only works properly if you have all toolbars located at the top and window maximized though, and fortunately I already do.

Your other features I can take or leave how they are now, as for example I did not become accustomed to using stacks and speed dials much because of not using Opera a lot in the past.
    ~

• @btabke:

What is stopping you from using V all the time?

A lot of things actually let me still stick with Opera 12:

UI Speed: Opera's UI is very response, while Vivaldi feels like a very early Mozilla 0.6 Build on my Pentium 133 (they just invented XUL back then). There is a noticeable delay when entering a letter into the address bar, before it actually appears on the screen. Vivaldi's Preferences dialog takes full 3-5 seconds with full CPU load to appear. Opera's shows instantly.

History Navigation Mode 3: Navigation back and forth in Opera is as fast as switching between already open tabs (and still faster than switching between tabs in Vivaldi). If you force opera:config#UserPrefs|HistoryNavigationMode to 3, it's almost instant. Best combined with rocker mouse gestures!

Browsing speed: Opera is blazingly fast on broadband with disk cache disabled (which breaks web fonts BTW, a bug they never fixed), as it employs a true RAM only cache. Only heavy amounts of JavaScript slow it down, disabling it solves that. CPU usage of Vivaldi is generally higher.

Drop down menus not working like native menus since 1985 (introduction of the Macintosh): You click on the menu title, then hold the mouse button and drag to the menu entry, you want do access, then release the button to activate it. Faster and less error-prone.

And much more of course: A lot GUI accessible preferences settings including Quick Preferences, disabling sending referrer information, content blocker, Turbo, mail client, detailed MIME type settings, EXIF data viewer. It's all the little things you are used to you only notice, when they are missing.

Vivaldi is quite promising, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

• First, thank you, developers, for the nice things. :P I simply love the navigating links with the arrow keys. It looks awesome, and is very useful for sites filled with links (particularly when my hand tires from too much mouse work. It draws me to your browser, just to use it with certain, link filled sites. Also, the notes feature is great (a resurrection for the old Opera Presto), stacking tabs is a nice extra, and it's wonderful to play with the different setups for the address bar, and the tab bar, to find the best. I'm kind of enjoying the address bar on the bottom. I can't really have that with other browsers I use. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE don't appear to give me those choices. The Speed Dial is promising, particularly that you can make folders of speed dial positions and also, folders within folders. In addition, you can have as many pages as you want. It's thus very ambitious. So, I'm quite impressed with the progress.

Need to fix items to bring me to Vivaldi as a primary browser. (1) an icon bar so that there's a greater ability to use Chrome Extensions. I'd like a mail link on the browser (for my Thunderbird mail, and my gmail). The icon bar might be enough for me to get an extension to make my gmail more accessible. (For the moment, I'm using the speed dial for my gmail needs). One problem with the icon bars in other browers is that they get cluttered/crowded. It would be nice, as an option, if the icon bar were in a drop-down menu that could be accessed with an easy keyboard-shortcut, instead of taking up browser real estate next to the address bar. (2) The cache of speed dial items is very slow to load. When the items haven't loaded, the speed dial looks awful. (3) The Speed Dial needs art for the background image (sort of the way Opera 29 uses Themes) (I would suggest that you give the user the chance to add his/her own art from their computer, or places on the internet that they find). Also, when you show a folder view in the speed dial, it looks bad. There needs to be a way for the folder view in the speed dial to look better. Appearance is important to me. I'd like my speed dial to look great. (4) The tabs freeze sometimes – not necessarily all (sometimes two or three) and I have to close the browser and open it again. It happens enough times that it's a bit of a nuisance, (5) A private window (for when you want to go into private mode) is a must. A private tab is optional, as if it's not as secure, I would chose not to have it. I can live with the private window, without the private tab, (6) The bookmarks need improvement. Cut and paste doesn't seem to work in terms of organizing the folders, and it's awkward/hard to create a new folder unless it's within another folder. (7) On the trash basket, we should have the ability to delete items from it individually, or all at once.

All told, though, Vivaldi is a quite intriguing browser!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.