Larger Maximum Image Size for Capture Page

• Hello,

I've noticed that the maximum image height of the Capture Page function in Vivaldi is limited to 30000 pixels (the rest of the page is not captured). I am using the PNG file format and I need to capture some web pages that have a height of more than 30000 pixels (typically around 60000 pixels). From what I could find on the internet the image size limit for the JPG file format is 65535×65535 and even bigger for PNG.

Until now I've been using Snagit to capture PNGs that are around 60000 pixels in height from Firefox, but the version of Snagit that I have is not compatible with the latest version of Firefox/Chrome. The latest version of Snagit that works with Firefox/Chrome has some sort of bug and parts of the captured image are missing, so I had to install an older version of Firefox that works with my version of Snagit to be able to capture the web pages.

If I could do the page capture in Vivaldi I could get rid of the cumbersome Snagit & Firefox solution.

Thank you.

@johnny85 The best I can offer you as a work-around for now, is capture the page, capture the areas below the 30,000 pixels, then stitch them as a vertical panorama with IrfanView.

Messy, but it works a lot better than my FastStone Capture, which is slow on long pages, and repeats any non-scrolling elements.

• The full page capture always starts from the top of the page even if I scroll down, so I can't capture two separate areas and stitch them. Using the selection capture for the remaining 30000 pixels would be a pain.

@johnny85 Yes, if the page is much more than 30,000 pixels you would have to stitch multiple snapshots together.

@ayespy said in Vivaldi 1.9RC 3 – Vivaldi Browser snapshot 1.9.818.40:

@CptGuapo: It's not impossible. When they first implemented it, it was only 20,000 lines. They've already increased it by 50%. There's going to be some hard limit at some point, but possibly they will allow users to set it within some range.

I captured a Wikipedia page of 1183 x 30955 Pixels. It is 7.17 Mbytes on disk and 104.86 Mbytes in RAM.

• I've downloaded Vivaldi's source code and found the root of the problem.

It's just a variable in extensions\api\thumbnails\thumbnails_api.cc that needs its value changed from 30000 to something like 65000, close to the maximum size permitted by the JPG file format (65535 according to Wikipedia).

const int kMaximumPageHeight = 30000;

if (capture_full_page_ == true && height_ == 0) {
        // Some sanity value so we don't capture an endless page.
        height_ = kMaximumPageHeight;
      }

@johnny85 said in Larger Maximum Image Size for Capture Page:

close to the maximum size permitted by the JPG file format

I wonder if it would be a problem setting it to 120,000 or more? Long pages of text are best captured as PNG.

If someone tried to capture a page longer than 65,535 as a JPG would it fail, or would it just be cropped?

I guess the code could always disable the JPG option for very long pages?

Just wondering: why not create several, consequential images of one page - each with a reasonable resolution - instead of creating one, huge image, which could be inconvenient to view/read anyway? 🤔

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.