What is the Chrome Safe Storage?

• When I start Vivaldi, it always prompt me for authorization to use the Chrome Safe Storage. Could you clarify this? I also use Chrome and I don't want any interactions between both browsers. thanks. (see attached screen capture). Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/40034/Screenshot2015-03-20at12.40.14.png[/img]

You have to delete the relevant item from your keychain to make Chrome quit asking for access to it. It's probably a password you stored using Safari or some such.

• This is an item belonging to Chrome, and it's unrelated to Safari or any password I could have stored myself in my login Keychain. I could delete it, but I'm pretty sure next time I launch Chrome it will just recreate it, making Vivaldi complain at next restart.
    I don't see any reason why Vivaldi would want to read this item, unless it thinks it is a real Chrome browser.

• I stopped using Vivaldi because of this annoying message. That is sad.

• As far as I know Vivaldi creates this file too, because I have it and I'm not running chrome. Interestingly, I also have a file named chrome safe storage1, which is also used by Vivaldi.

Start up keychain access app, click on chrome safe storage and access control and check which app is using the file. Would be a shame if both browsers generated a file with the same name, but it could also be that Vivaldi generates a file named differently (safe storage1), when a file named chrome safe storage already exists. Opera generates a file named opera safe storage, so maybe that's the route Vivaldi should take.

Anyway, I would allow access, and if it indeed allows access to the same file used by chrome, you can simply remove Vivaldi from it in access control, by picking Vivaldi and clicking the "-" sign. Is worth a try.

• "Chrome Safe Storage" in the Keychain is simply an application password that Chrome uses to encrypt/decrypt data in its secure information store. It's generated after installation during Chrome's initial setup. For some reason, Vivaldi uses the same key name.

I don't know why Vivaldi chose to use "Chrome Safe Storage" as well. (Like others that got the Keychain access prompt, I wondered what was going on.) My guess is that it's either to facilitate data import from Chrome or to maintain compatibility with Chrome for some obscure reason. (Strangely, Vivaldi also creates "~/Library/Application Support/Google/" with a few skeleton files.)

Vivaldi has also accidentally created and used "Chromium Safe Storage" in a few snapshots, which caused people to lose access to their passwords when Vivaldi switched to the new data store. I took that opportunity to ask @ruario, is there a why Vivaldi doesn't use "Vivaldi Safe Storage"?

https://vivaldi.com/blog/snapshots/vivaldi-1-6rc-2-vivaldi-browser-snapshot-1-6-689-32/#post-113213

His response was:

yep that is the plan with a way to automatically migrate the passwords over but that is for a future release.

So, curious initial design decisions on Vivaldi's part aside, I don't think that there's any reason to get too upset about this. I also concur with @luetage; I don't think it's a problem to grant access to "Chrome Safe Storage".

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.