Ecosia has detected an ad blocker

• I'm using the Ecosia search engine and for a while now it's been asking me to whitelist Ecosia in my ad blocker. However, as far as I know, I don't use any ad blocker. I've not installed any ad blocker plugins and my understanding is that there is no built-in ad blocker in Vivaldi (is that correct?).

Does anyone have any idea why Ecosia has detected that I run an ad blocker?

• All I can say is that I have uBlock Origin and it's not detected if deactivated or ecosia.org is whitelisted, otherwise ecosia warns in the search results that it's detected.
    Open extensions page (ctrl-shift-E) and see if you really have no extensions, if you have, probably one of them IS an ad-blocker.

• @lindsten said in Ecosia has detected an ad blocker:

I'm using the Ecosia search engine and for a while now it's been asking me to whitelist Ecosia in my ad blocker. However, as far as I know, I don't use any ad blocker. I've not installed any ad blocker plugins and my understanding is that there is no built-in ad blocker in Vivaldi (is that correct?).

Does anyone have any idea why Ecosia has detected that I run an ad blocker?

It must be an Ecosia thing. I imagine that, when financed by search, to finance its purpose of planting trees, it naturally includes a script that detects if something blocks this function.
    If you use Windows, the same in its network properties includes blocking pop-ups, it lacks much efficiency, but perhaps enough for Ecosia to detect it as an adblocker.
    It's the only explanation I can think of
    Review the settings in Windows Network properties, and if this is the case, disable this option

• @lindsten If a software (f.ex. with by Antivirus, Desktop firewall or domain block by hosts file) blocks ads on Ecosia, you will get the hint.

• @iAN-CooG
    The extensions page just shows "Boo… You have no extensions".

@Catweazle, @Gwen-Dragon
    If ads were blocked by Windows somehow, wouldn't that affect other browsers as well? I just tried with Chrome, Opera, FireFox and Internet Explorer and Ecosia doesn't say anything about ad blockers in those browsers.

I guess I can install an ad blocker simply to to whitelist Ecosia, but it would be interesting to know what is different with Vivaldi ...

• Installing an adblocker just to whitelist Ecosia is probably overdoing it. You could however install an adblocker and run a "Adblock Warning Removal List". This way you enjoy adblocking while not getting annoyed by adblock warnings ^^

• @lindsten I do not know what is wrong on your Vivaldi.

I do not get such box at Ecosia, tested in current 1.13 Snapshot and current 1.13 Stable on Windows 10 x64.
    tested with my browser profile and a clean profile.

Try to reset your profile. See https://help.vivaldi.com/article/full-reset-of-vivaldi/

• Me neither, and I use an adblocker (Adblock Genesis, it's an improved uBlock)

• Navigate to Settings > Search > hover over Ecosia and slide the cursor to the Edit icon (pencil on paper) that pops up to the right of the "e" shortcut letter > left click that icon. An "Edit Search Engine" box should appear, whose top line should be the following:

https://www.ecosia.org/search?tt=vivaldi&q=%s

Is that what you have?

• @Gwen-Dragon
    My Vivaldi version is 1.13.1008.32 (Stable channel) (32-bit). Before I do a reset I will try with a clean install on another laptop.

@Catweazle
    I think I'll maybe try with an ad blocker and see if that helps. It could be useful anyway (for certain other sites, that is).

@Blackbird
    Yep, that's exactly what I have.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.