Feature-Suggestion: Cookie-Shielding

• Hi all,

a lot of websites are preventing you from using its features when you don't accept cookies. While at the same time advertising trackers are using cookies to track your browsing across different websites. In these days I consider the simple options to 'disallow all', 'allow all', 'allow only from website' as a little bit outdated. Also in times where you only reboot your PC or restart your browser once a week, the option to delete cookies on browser-exit semms a little bit like not doing it's job anymore.

So I came up with an idea:
    Why don't you delete the cookies when you close the tab that created them?

And also with another idea:
    Why don't you shield all cookies created by one tab (or optional by one website (in meanings of same SLD)) (including the third-party cookies) against access from other tabs/websites?

Dear Vivaldi Community, what do you think about these Feature Ideas?
    (cookie containers / cookie shielding and delete-on-tab-close)

Best regards,
    Rhino

• Such functions were probably already asked, something can be done via chromium page but.. it's not very confortable.

Personally, I use vanilla cookie manager extension, in which I whitelist the cookies I want keep (via urlbar) and remove the others ones (blacklist by default) every vivaldi start-up. It can remove also at shutdown or every "x" minutes the ones in blacklist.

• I have set Vivaldi to reject all cookies and explicitly whitelist the domains I accept cookies from.

It's a bit of a chore, especially if having to setup a new installation, but worth it. Not that I am in tinfoil-hat-wearing land, just I don't want sites saving a zillion cookies on my PC. However, if there's a site I want to use and actually log in to, I see no need to be paranoid about cookies from these sites.

However, a good idea I think to add would be a Temporarily accept cookies from domain xyzzy.com feature. And that these cookies would be erased either on browser close, tab close, or after a certain time.

There are some sites that don't work properly without accepting cookies, and while I don't want to permanently accept these cookies, I need to accept them to make the site work. Like some sites pop-up the bloody EU cookie-warning over and over.

In Firefox I use the "Cookie Monster" addon and I can right-click on the page and choose to temporarily accept cookies from the domain, and then don't have to worry about deleting them later.

I think something similar would be a great addition to Vivaldi.

• @Rhino_Cracker said in Feature-Suggestion: Cookie-Shielding:

Why don't you delete the cookies when you close the tab that created them?

Why not open in incognito window?
    And starting any Chromium based browsers (including Vivaldi) with --incognito command line flag will definitely get that. All things deleted after tab closed.
    Use 2 different profiles if you want to keep some "Safe" sites stuff.

Why don't you shield all cookies created by one tab (or optional by one website (in meanings of same SLD)) (including the third-party cookies) against access from other tabs/websites?

The only reliable method is to block all cookies in first place. Which you don't like. If those cookies already landed in your system, leaks still possible.
    uMatrix has an option to not let Cookies information out. It still except them. And setting it (get used to it) is hard for casual user. Plus, its doing it by auto deleting them, which is common method found in other extensions with that purpose.
    If you know any extensions in any browsers that block access to cookies like you want, let me know. I like to know them too.

End note: Feature request go to current Feature Request thread

• @Hadden89
    Could I suggest Cookies AutoDelete?
    It's newer (born in 2017) & still maintained (well duhh, born in 2017 :grin:).
    Github

Available for Chrome & Firefox.

I think, parts of what @Rhino_Cracker asked are avaiable in that extension.

Currently still same issue; can't delete Local Storage. Chromium API limitation.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.