Flash plugin without google chrome

• Vivaldi Translator

as the question says, i wanted to know if i can watch flash content on Vivaldi without having chrome installed...i tried installing the flash plugin from adobe site but still can't see nothing...any way to solve this or having chrome installed is the only way to watch flash content ? (eg fb videos or steaming sites)

• Vivaldi Translator

thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply…anyway i can't enter vivaldi folder as root and can't find any button to do it...

• Not sure i understand what you mean… more info pls?

• pepper flash

• Vivaldi Translator

when i try to edit the widevine file it tell me i have no permission to edit this file as i should edit it as a root…how to enter as a root to edit files in filemanager? :)

thx for your suggestion about pepper...

• I am not sure what you try to do. What for ditro of Linux you use? And please search the forum for answers, there a plenty of thread about this topic.

• Vivaldi Translator

using latest fedora 24…solution steffie posted said i should substitute vivald's widevine file with the one from google chrome, but everytime that i try to do that filemanager in fedora ask me to be root...and i don't know how to do this as root... :)

• Sorry iI can't find it in steffies post. Btw if you don't know what root means or how to become root linux may not the right OS für you.

• Clarification; i did not say or mean to say that my link is the solution to your problem, i only asked you if it might help. You see, that other thread dealt explicitly with a very common issue in the fora, of getting Netflix to work in Vivaldi. My link does solve that problem, & i simply hoped that it might also solve your problem… but i might be wrong in that hope.

However, as others have mentioned, the general issue of using a flash player in Vivaldi seems to need installation of pepperflash. See if this helps [note; i did a clean install of Linux Mate 18 in a VM last night (unrelated to your problem), & today i decided to use it to test the following steps for you, as being a virgin OS, it did not yet have Vivaldi or Pepperflash installed. However i know Fedora is very different to Mint KDE & Mate, so i hope you can find a way to adapt the following to your OS (btw, WHY do you use Fedora? I find it ghastly)]:

1. Using your package manager [[i]Synaptic, in my case] or Terminal if you prefer (i don't], download & install Pepperflash:

[attachment=3990]pepperflashsynaptic_20160702_11:41:20.png[/attachment]

2. In Vivaldi, browse to chrome://plugins/
    3. See if yours shows something like this:

[attachment=3991]pepperflashvivaldi_20160702_12:18:08.png[/attachment]

4. Browse to a site needing flash player, & see if it works for you now.

Good luck. May the force be with you. :cheer:

…....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.
    Attachments:

• Oh, i am a silly thing! I had completely forgotten this summary note i'd stored in my V's Notes panel some time back, to help me with any future Flash hassles i had. I've just applied it now, to refresh my memory that it does work.

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser-for-linux/10672-adobe-flash-accept-no-substitutes#58246
    8/6/16 – PepperFlash.
    ….........................................................................................................................................................................................
    https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser-for-linux/10672-adobe-flash-accept-no-substitutes#57975 -->

" Chromium relies on the external one as any other browser (Vivaldi included)
    In short all the matter is not so complex. You need just a single file "libpepflashplayer.so" placed in the right place. The right place may vary depending the distro. Vivaldi looks for it in the following places
    :
    /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/
    /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/
    /usr/lib/chromium-browser/PepperFlash/ "

–> there's more good info at that link; the above is only a [very handy] extract.
    ….........................................................................................................................................................................................

Today i was able to copy the PepperFlash directory from /opt/slimjet/PepperFlash/ & paste to the above paths, thence after restarting Vivaldi, it correctly detected the plugin & so played flash media on relevant websites. Ditto Chromium.

To update the plugin in Slimjet AND Opera Dev [BEFORE doing the preceding copy/paste], i need to do the periodic Synaptic Package Manager REINSTALLATION of "pepperflashplugin-nonfree".

https://vivaldi.net/en-US/forum/vivaldi-browser-for-linux/4543-how-do-i-enable-adobe-flash#55412 ->

"Seriously people is just a single file (libpepflashplayer.so) that has to be copied in a single place. No matter how you get it, no matter what distro are you using. If your distro doesn't provide a prepackaged version, just download a suitable x86 or x86_64 (depending on your Linux flavour), unpack it and copy or link it inside:
    /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/
    or
    /usr/lib32/chromium-browser/plugins/
    or
    /usr/lib64/chromium-browser/plugins/
    and restart Vivaldi. "

• Further to my previous posts above, following this sentence i paste my latest self-notes verbatim [so to anyone easily bored, you can leave now to preserve your sanity], from the past couple of days' intensive trouble-shooting & testing on my PCs… just in case any other users might also experience any of these hassles, & wonder about a solution/workaround:

2/7/16 UPDATE: Today i updated Slimjet to 10.0.7.0, & its PF path now is /home/steffie/.config/slimjet/PepperFlash/22.0.0.192/

–-> SEVERAL hours later... this update went fine on Tower, but has been a total bastard on Lappy. For f*cks knows what reason, despite copying what i believed to be the correct new Slimjet PF v22.x file into the various folders listed above, both Chromium & Vivaldi Plugins persisted in declaring that only Adobe Flash v11 was installed, which long ago was obsoleted for many sites [this was ironic coz before i began this struggle, Vivaldi & Chromium were using PF v21.x, but my initial efforts buggered this completely by inexplicably reverting to the completely obsolete Adobe Flash v11.x]. Hence, for the hours this fight took, despite PF v22.x working fine in Lappy's Slimjet [& ALL of Tower's browsers], ABC iView continuously reported no Flash existed in Lappy's Chromium & Vivaldi. Utterly pissed off, the solution only came once i gave up trying to use any of Lappy's PF file instances, & instead copied Tower's proven-good Chromium one across.

Important learning came out of this Lappy fight. It emerged that i ONLY need to have the PF file in these 2 folders; no others needed, for Chromium & Vivaldi's Flash to work:
    /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/
    /usr/lib/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/

Note that Slimjet seems far more sophisticated than either Vivaldi or Chromium in managing PepperFlash, with [as far as i can tell] each Slimjet version-update automatically including the latest PF version, & installing it during the upgrade so that SJ PF works great, with no intervention needed from me. This is lovely, compared to the others.

3/7/16: 11:00: Given the build-up to the Federal Election over the past several weeks, & the actual looooooooong night's coverage of the Election Night, last night, i have been watching lots of ABC1 iView Live-Stream http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-live-stream/IV1512H001S00#playing lately on both PCs. This still uses Flash Player unfortunately, not HTML5, hence it's been critical for me to get on top of the legacy Linux Flash hassles for all chromium-based browsers… for which the solution is to use the free PepperFlash plugin. That said, overall, & on both PCs, my default browser Vivaldi [so wonderful in most other respects], has had a pretty horrible time of it. See my 30/6/16 email complaint to iView for all details [including the enclosed history].

<<inserted here="" from="" said="" email="">>
    7/6/16: Hi. Did you have a constant tech problem tonight with the Live Stream of Q&A on iView? It was a quite miserable experience tonight. The stream very very very frequently "replayed" the preceding several seconds of content, then abruptly jumped ahead again to catch up with real time. This made for an exceptionally unpleasant disjointed Q&A experience. I streamed it live last week on iView as well, when it behaved much better. I hope the performance is back up to scratch next Mon night.

30/6/16: Hi iVM again. Sadly the fault continues relentlessly, just as bad. All the symptoms i originally described, continue unabated. Eg as i write this i am streaming ABC NSW 7pm News on http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/abc-live-stream/IV1512H001S00#playing, & it's just miserable. Every several seconds it replays the last few seconds, then jumps ahead to catch up, then iterates… over & over & over. This is really poor. Please, fix it.
    ............................................................................................................................................................................................

Following their also-30/6/16 email reply, it occurred to me that if it was not their service [as they claimed] then maybe it's my local internal problem. I tested this idea by trying the iView live-streaming with alternative chromium-based browsers [Chromium, Slimjet & Opera], with the surprising outcome that the performances were better than with Vivaldi … NOT perfect, but somewhat better. As the iView Moderator recommended to me, i cleared browser caches for Chromium & Slimjet [dunno how to do it in Vivaldi], & this also made further improvements [mainly in the shocking [i]"Every several seconds it replays the last few seconds, then jumps ahead to catch up, then iterates… over & over & over" more or less going away], BUT the other fault of the stream intermittently just terminating such that i have to mouse-click the play button to resume it, continued to manifest.

Last night, once i finally bludgeoned the latest PepperFlash version 22.x into Lappy's Chromium & Slimjet [& Vivaldi], i began the long Election Night's ABC1 iView Live-Stream, on Lappy. I found these interesting things:
    1. All 3 browsers now had NO repeat instances of the terrible "replays the last few seconds, then jumps ahead" fault.
    2. All 3 browsers had occasional instances of the streaming simply self-terminating, with Slimjet best [very very rare occurrences], then Chromium [enough occurrences to be annoying], then Vivaldi [ditto, but maybe slightly more frequent].
    3. Both Vivaldi & Chromium's iView streaming audio quality was noticeably poorer than Slimjet's; sounding a bit like an old AM radio badly tuned to be slightly off the station.
    4. Vivaldi ONLY, suffers from additional fault of the video just freezing for many frames whilst audio continues, then eventually the video catches up to the audio. This fault, most of all, makes Vivaldi still an unhappy browser for ABC iView Live-Stream.

Conclusions:
    A. Until further notice, i need to do my ABC1 iView Live-Streaming in Slimjet, or otherwise Chromium [2nd best], or Vivaldi [passable but clearly only distant 3rd].
    B. I need to scrupulously keep up to date with installed PF versions [eg, 22 is clearly better than 21].
    C. Periodically i should CLEAR the browser caches.

…....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.</inserted>

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.