Removal of gconf dependency?

• Does anyone know when the dependency to (deprecated) gconf will be dropped? I was eager to take a look at this, but our security policy no longer allows gconf to be installed, and Vivaldi won't even start without it. Thanks.

• Please report that as important Bug or Feature wish for Linux at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/ !

• It'd be strange if Vivaldi actually stored anything using GConf, so it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the dependency.

• @0001
    Which Linux and Vivaldi version/package has such dependancy?

Vivaldi depends on gconf-service.

debian jessie 8.4

• vivaldi-snapshot_1.2.479.8-1_amd64.deb requires:
    gconf-service
    libgconf-2-4 (>= 2.31.1)

vivaldi-snapshot-1.2.479.8-1.x86_64.rpm requires:
    libgconf-2.so.4()(64bit)

Note that according to the original poster the program doesn't start without GConf, so the dependencies in the packages are not superfluous.

• I guess my question is not so much "why is gconf listed as a dependency" (I ran ldd after I downloaded it - before I even attempted to run it, and saw that is was compiled needing that library), but why is Vivaldi using gconf at all? It is deprecated and unmaintained. As I said in my original post, our security policy no longer allows it. I really want to try Vivaldi (but not so much that I am going to go through the effort of setting up a new personal system just to give it a test drive :) ).

Almost all of gnome has migrated to gsettings:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration

• I've read that Chromium includes several custom libraries that have been forked from upstream and not necessarily kept up to date. This is one of the main reasons that packagers of distributions such as Fedora dislike Chromium. Vivaldi inherits these out-of-date pieces of code from Chromium.

• I just registered to post about the GConf thing.
    Chromium can be compiled with GConf disabled.
    The dependency is pointless nowadays since everything in existence was migrated in GSettings. Hence the ability to read GConf settings is pointless. It is not going to be used anyway.
    There should be a -Duse_gconf=0 make option if this is a straight Chromium fork.
    Thank you.

• @kumiponi:

I've read that Chromium includes several custom libraries that have been forked from upstream and not necessarily kept up to date. This is one of the main reasons that packagers of distributions such as Fedora dislike Chromium. Vivaldi inherits these out-of-date pieces of code from Chromium.

I think you have that backwards. My understanding is that Chromium IS upstream. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

@HussamT:

I just registered to post about the GConf thing.
    Chromium can be compiled with GConf disabled.
    The dependency is pointless nowadays since everything in existence was migrated in GSettings. Hence the ability to read GConf settings is pointless. It is not going to be used anyway.
    There should be a -Duse_gconf=0 make option if this is a straight Chromium fork.
    Thank you.

Thank you for registering to comment. :)

If Vivaldi can be compiled without gconf (especially if it is, as you say, pointless), then it clearly should be (hoping the right people see this).

• @0001:

My understanding is that Chromium IS upstream.

Chromium is upstream for Vivaldi, but several libraries by third parties are upstream for Chromium.

• Still waiting for a snapshot that doesn't depend on gconf.

• Bitterly disappointed that this hasn't been fixed in 1.3.

REALLY want to try Vivaldi, but I won't be able to until it is compiled without being linked to libgconf.

• What's the status on this particular issue? Did anybody file a bug report? It seems pretty important to me.

• Hi, we are looking into this. Back in June this was investigated and one of our devs found that too much of chromium actually depends on this for it do easily be disabled. We are taking another look now as it seems to be preventing some users from using Vivaldi

• Want to bump this up to the front page, since the forum seems much more active now.

Seems there is still no progress on this. :(

Has anyone tried compiling Vivaldi without gconf, and testing that?

• Too much dependencies in Chromium code the devs said.
    I fear they will not fix it yet ... or never!?

• @HussamT said in Removal of gconf dependency?:

This is the reason I prefer open source - I could compile it myself, and see whether it worked or not.

Has anyone at Vivaldi actually tried a simple:

"make -Duse_gconf=0"

and if so, what was the result?

• @0001 Yes, this flag is known.
    I ask a developer regarding bug VB-17650 with gconf dependecy.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Removal of gconf dependency?:

@0001 Yes, this flag is known.
    I ask a developer regarding bug VB-17650 with gconf dependecy.

So what was the result when Vivaldi was compiled with "make -Duse_gconf=0"? Was there any problem? Is there any update on this bug?

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.