32 vs 64 bit Vivaldi.

• The 64-bit version should be worked on. If that one functions correctly in all scenarios, making a 32-bit compatibility version is much easier compared to developing the 32-bit first and then trying to fix various stuff in the 64-bit version.

• I've been 64-bit for more than a decade. My Solaris server (soon to be replaced with F25) is running Solaris 10, a March 2008 release. The Linux F14 box is x86_64, as well as the new box that is running x86_64 F25. The new box is where I am posting this from, using 64-bit Vivaldi-snapshot (latest version as of a few days ago).

I will only install 32-bit software if it is the only version available.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

hello,

I saw that, with Vivaldi 1.10 32bit support is suspended. Anybody knows why, or it will back in product?

I heard that 32bit Linux packages of Vivaldi 10 could not be compiled and linked.
    Perhaps Chromium 60 code will bring it back.

• @christian I use 32 bit debian linux (testing distribution) and vivaldi-snapshot 1.9.804.3-1

My PC specs are:

• Intel Xeon 3690 (6 cores @ 3.47Ghz) with processor address extension (PAE) to address 2^36 bits = 64G RAM
    • 24G RAM
    • ASUS GTX-1070 graphics card
    • nvidia-driver version 375.39-1

Although this could easily run 64 bit, I chose 32 bit linux carefully, because it limits any process to a max of 4G of virtual memory, even though there can be multiple processes that combined can be using a total of 64G. This addressing limitation prevents any one process from growing beyond 4G and is a good safeguard.

It would be unfortunate if vivaldi followed the path of google-chrome and dropped support for 32 bit linux as it would prevent people from taking advantage of PAE to do the above. Note that chromium itself still has 32 bit linux support.

@JSJB Yes. Chromium does. And Vivaldi wants to keep it, too. But changes to the chromium 59 code, which Vivaldi recently took in, made it devilishly hard to compile a 32-bit version of Vivaldi for Linux. Hence, in the latest snapshot, there is no 32-bit Linux version. Vivaldi's aim is to support the oldest hardware it can, including all 32-bit systems running Linux, but chromium has thrown a monkey wrench in the works, and Vivaldi is trying to fix it.

• @Ayespy I looked at the chromium site and they require a 64 bit linux to run the linux build.

Can you clarify your reply: is it that the chromium project itself does not support 32 bit linux, or that it does but it causes problems for vivaldi's 32 bit linux build?

@JSJB I don't know. I know the Vivaldi devs tried to compile a 32-bit version and couldn't. If it is now the case that 32-bit Chromium for Linux can no longer be compiled, we'll learn that soon enough. It would be a shame.

• If there will be question which version drop, in general, for sure drop 32bit. It may be tough step, but otherwise things will not move furher. How long we have full 64bit OS? 10+ years? And most of software is still 32bit. I haven't seen running PC with 32 bit Linux. Even friends which were blidnly trying to install Linux, were installing 64bit versions. In company sphere, for sure we everywhere are using 64bit.

On Windows, I prefer also 64bit software becase 32bit software runs in emulation on 64bit OS (see WoW64 details on MSDN), there must be twice DLL's loaded, running processes etc. A lot of garbage, which must be present because of compatibility. And by droping 64bit version as somebody here mentioned, will not help to get rid of that. 64bit is the future.

@enc0re said in 32 vs 64 bit Vivaldi.:

I haven't seen running PC with 32 bit Linux.

Then you do not have a Atom Z Netbook like me.
    I need 32bit Linux on my mobile PC.

If there will be question which version drop, in general, for sure drop 32bit.

Why? On older PCs you may have 32bit and some people do not have the money to buy a brand-new system every 4 years.

Such drop or shortage of development cycles will lead to similar strange user-unfriendly technology like Android where you never get updates if your phone is older than 3 years.

• @Gwen-Dragon I have Asus EEE PC with Atom stored in the drawer, because its only proper thing which Atom can do properly :). I tried there minimal Fedora 32bit installation with XFCE few years ago, which tooks <100MB of Ram, and it was pain to use.

• @enc0re said in 32 vs 64 bit Vivaldi.:

64bit is the future.

It's not such a black and white issue as you suggest. My PC could easily run 64 bit linux but I chose 32 bit on purpose so that no single process could grow beyond 4G (although there can be multiple simultaneous processes of that size since the processor address extension, PAE, allow it to address 2^36 = 64G). https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/7796/32-vs-64-bit-vivaldi/25

This can now be enforced in 64 bit systems in /etc/security/limits.conf, but wasn't at the time I installed. It would be worth checking if your system has modified limits.conf to prevent processes growing to unlimited size, something that happens by default on 32 bit systems.

Users of 32 bit linux are not Luddites, just cautious.

• @enc0re
    Preparing Linux on EEE PC? Ho, been there done that. Same end taste, it's a pain.

Short story, I manage to make mine (born in Win98 era) up & running. Go kaboom if I dare to run Firefox. 2 Days I build everything. In third day, my sister scold me to bring Windows back to it. :rofl:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.