Bug: Open New Tab from Link in External App Hang
I can't always reproduce this behavior - so I can't give you exact steps reproduce.
Here's what I do know: while I have Vivaldi open, often, when I click a link in an external application, and Windows opens it as a new tab in my default browser (Vivaldi), the tab does not show up, and the browser appears to hang - I cannot interact with any previously opened tabs, or any buttons / menu items in the browser.
In preparation for this post, I discovered a way to recover from the hang: I had the browser window maximized - I double clicked the title bar, which is equivalent to clicking the maximize / restore button in the title bar. When I did this, the browser became responsive again and the new tab with the external link instantly appeared.
It's almost like the application is not redrawing itself when a new tab was opened via an external link. It's weird though because generally when an application isn't redrawing itself and you attempt to interact with it in Windows, Windows detects this as a hang and the whole window gets whited out. Windows isn't doing this - so even though the UI is currently unresponsive, Windows is not detecting that application as being hanged.
If I had to guess, resizing the browser is forcing a redraw.
@bobjohnson Hello and Welcome to the Vivaldi Community
No problems here opening links from for instance Thunderbird or just in the Windows Run dialog.
Please try the troubleshooting steps first:
Try to find a way to reproduce it consistently in a clean profile and report a bug.
carefully and report the bug to Vivaldi bugtracker
Thanks for replying.
It happens infrequently (seemingly no rhyme or reason). Once I discovered the work around of being able to just resize the browser window I haven't thought about it cause it's become a trivial annoyance. Prior to that it was a major annoyance cause it seemed like it was causing the browser to hang / crash.
If no one else is complaining about this, must just be a fluke.
PS. I've never used Vivaldi before. This problem was / is occurring on a brand new install. Other than default search engine, I haven't changed any settings. Also if I remember correctly, the first time it launched it asked something about use, like basic to advanced - pretty sure I picked the middle setting.