Anyone have Gmail desktop notifications fully working?


  • Moderator

    Today's snapshot (1.0.340.7) mentioned HTML5 notifications are now working, so I was eager to try Gmail's. To try this, you need to enable notification from Gmail 1. go to ht[b][/b]tps://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/general 2. click on "Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail." 3. approve Vivaldi's permission request 4. then select "New mail notifications on". I do get a desktop notification box when an email comes in, but if I click on the desktop notification, Vivaldi shows a blank page at the opened "ht[b][/b]tps://mail.google.com/mail/u/1/?ui=2&view=btop&..." URL tab, or crashes. Does it work for anyone else, or do you encounter the same thing?


  • Moderator

    Also, the notification permission doesn't seem to be sticking – Vivaldi forgets the "https://mail.google.com" permission between sessions, although another other one I see ("://mail.google.com/ca/mail/") seems to be there permanently.

    Although for that matter, how is one supposed to revoke notification permissions?

    The permissions can be viewed by clicking on the address bar lock icon > Site settings > Notifications > Manage exceptions.
    e.g., in this case:



  • I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour. What makes this even more irritating is that none of the notification settings have any effect whatsoever, Vivaldi always asks for permission to show HTML5 notifications. I'm currently running 1.0.344.34 (Win32) with "Do not allow any site to show notifications" set, but sure enough, when I run the demo at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/demos/detail/html5-notifications it still asks for permission every time.

    At first I thought "it must be me", so I've just tried on a machine that has never had Vivaldi installed on it before, same behaviour again.


  • Moderator

    @OddbOd:

    I'm seeing exactly the same behaviour. What makes this even more irritating is that none of the notification settings have any effect whatsoever, Vivaldi always asks for permission to show HTML5 notifications. I'm currently running 1.0.344.34 (Win32) with "Do not allow any site to show notifications" set, but sure enough, when I run the demo at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/demos/detail/html5-notifications it still asks for permission every time.

    At first I thought "it must be me", so I've just tried on a machine that has never had Vivaldi installed on it before, same behaviour again.

    The explanation for that disobedience of the "Do not allow any site to show notifications" setting might partly lie in the fact that Vivaldi seems to be handling the notifications via a special hidden extension, not purely using Chromium's usual mechanism (See the "This setting is enforced by an extension" tooltip in the screenshot I provided.) I guess the extension has not been coded to consult the general Chromium setting.

    More generally, I believe they're planning to create an entirely different Content Settings panel, so since they'll be abandoning the current content settings panel (a holdover from the Chromium base) anyway, they apparently are not bothering with keeping all of Vivaldi's workings entirely consistent with it.

    (Another instance where they haven't bothered to integrate Vivaldi's behavior with that panel: The "Show all images" option there is a different blocking mechanism from the Vivaldi UI's "[Show|Show only cached|Hide] images" button. Also, although the panel is reachable by clicking on the address bar lock icon > Site settings, the panel cannot be reached by entering in the address bar the same URL, "vivaldi://settings/content", that is shown in the address bar when you're viewing the panel – unlike in Chrome, where you can manually type in "chrome://settings/content" to see it over a faded view of Chrome's general settings.)


  • Moderator

    chrome://settings/content does, however, expose chromium's settings in Vivaldi, and they work as expected.


  • Moderator

    True, that does bring it up. I did not expect that. I thought everything that would normally work as "chrome://" url worked as a "vivaldi://" url, but I guess this is an exception, caused by the fact that the vivaldi settings panel is triggered by the pattern "^vivaldi://settings.*" (regex notation). E.g. even "vivaldi://settingsqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm" gets you to the Vivaldi settings page.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.