Vivaldi feature modification [bookmarks]

• Hello everyone, I've just been using Vivaldi, not for long, but it may the beginning of a long and great "relationship" - I see lots of potential here! I would like to make a suggestion regarding the [Bookmarks] . I have see this as extensions, but not as an embedded feature. So here's my idea: - Drop the bookmarks layout by folder - it has been that way since I can remember, in almost (if not) all browsers; - Arrange the bookmarks by tags (one or multiple); - Filter the tags subsequently, according to the selected tags already. // SEE ATTACHED IMAGE TO UNDERSTAND THE EXAMPLE BELOW // This is a small preview I made to simulate what I mean. The picture show a sequence of selection by TagMarks (I like this designation :P ) - no elements are shown because at least one tag per item is necessay (logic, I think); On the leftmost Vivaldi [TagMarks] we see a list of all the available "Tags". After we click Technology, we should then see the list of [TagMarks] containing the Technology Tag, and below the list of sites tagged with Technology. Continuing in the same logic, after we click on Games, we should see a list of [TagMarks] containing the Technology and Games tag. and below the list of items tagged with Technology and Games. Other things that could be done: - include a box at the bottom with the list of selected tags and an [x] to remove some tag if necessary; - order the tags by the most used; - search a tag in a text search box; - etc. This idea came to me when I was struggling with my bookmarks folder in Chrome, searching for a specific item in a bookmark folder (which I have organized by subject), and it wasn't there. Then I found it in another folder, that was also subject-related to the link I wanted, but the time spent find it was a bit stressful, because I was in a hurry. Well, this is just an idea to be different from the other browsers (which is the idea here - different and better). Tell me what you think. Cheers! Carlos Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/55885/schemaTag.jpg[/img]

• I think a database-type interface is not a bad idea. If the mail module is anything like M2 in Opera, then expect powerful indexing in Vivaldi's mail client - so maybe some of the same principles could be applied to bookmarks too.

But drop the "#" and call it a label instead of a tag. We're not all Twitterati you know! ;)

• But drop the "#" and call it a label instead of a tag. We're not all Twitterati you know! ;)

It was just my way of explaining the concept. :unsure: I'm not even a Twitter user :lol:

I have seen some modules and add-ons on the other main browser (firefox and chrome) that work with that feature, but the core is still a folder organized structure.
    I really think that a label organized layout could make a difference - or maybe it's just me, but the folder organization is becoming obsolete. The concept is not new, but in a browser, it could be a "plus" over other browsers…

• Did you use mail in Opera? The reason Opera's mail client, M2, is so loved by some of us here is exactly because it was a database and not a files-and-folders system. It was quite revolutionary at the time and I remember people were saying that Google updated gMail to have similar indexing and other webmail also copied some of its features.

Having said that, I never bother with labels in Opera's mail either - because the system is smart enough that I don't need them! I can search mail for almost anything as long as I have an idea who was in the conversation and what was talked about - a couple of keywords and maybe one of the contacts and I'll get the post after just a few seconds searching. That search and the (smart) filters - so I can automatically group incoming messages with a similar theme - means I never need to manually label anything…

• No, never used Opera, but Vivaldi caught my attention so I am giving it a try.

I like Gmail and even this new Inbox, although, for a Thunderbird user it is a bit strange since it creates multiple copies in my folder structure and it is a bit odd, but it doesn't bother me.

The bookmarks are a bit of problem to me, because sometimes when I'm doing some web search and I find thing of interest to me on several subjects, and I store them in some folder on the bookmarks, which relates to that. Some time later I need that subject, but I do not remember the website, nor the header text, nor the location because I have several folder separated by theme, and those themes are not unique. I have to search the bookmarks and even so, I don't find them, because the header text is a bit different than the subject… It's a bit of a problem to me, a delay and stress :angry:, but I get there.

Maybe I should take some vitamins for memory or so :P .

I've considered developing and add-on for the other browsers but I don't know that programming language. I could get there, but it would be a long shot / path for me (I know vb.net and starting on Java, but no web languages like the add-ons use: html, css and javascript).

Anyway, it seems that this is only my problem, not a general one, so I'll search some other path (adjust myself or solve it) :)

• Like the tagging idea, but must retain folders for older bookmark list compatibility.

And for tags, how about three types…

1. from page keywords
    2. auto suggested from content
    3. user input

There needs to be an easy way to recall old tags... good thing about folders is that like items have a better chance of ending up to one another since I must review my old filing system to determine where something should be filed.

With tags, I could have some things filed under #school and some things under #college ... and if I searched for one, I wouldn't finds bookmarks tagged the other way.

While the small bookmark dialogue is nice - wouldn't mind it being much larger with access to "available" or "previously used" tags...

Also in bookmark bar, would be nice when hitting + if it would auto-fill the current page info.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.