Add Bookmarks to Top or Bottom of Folder

• Hello,

When adding bookmarks to bookmarks folders, they go to the top of the folder by default.
    Most other browsers add them to the bottom. An option would be useful to let the user set the default behavior.

Thank you.

@ronyxs Here, they are added at the bottom of the folder. I have the sort order set to Sort Manually.

You probably have them sorted by date created, descending. Click the Up Arrow at the top of the bookmarks panel to reverse the sort order.

0_1522276197523_New Bookmark.png

• Mine is also set to "sort manually" and it works exactly the same as "sort by date created". It always goes to the top.
    I guess the feature request would be to have two sort by date methods, one for ascending and one for descending. Right now it's all descending.

• Actually, I need to correct that. I just realized that when I select a sorting method, e.g. sort by date, it no longer lets me move bookmarks within the folder. That's bad. That is definitely not what I had in mind.

What I had in mind is use manual sorting, so we can move bookmarks around, but add new bookmarks to the top or bottom as a setting. Again, I have it set to manual sorting, and new bookmarks goes to the top by default. I"m not requesting a new sorting method, I'm requesting let the user choose where new bookmarks are placed in the folder, given manual sorting.

@ronyxs If bookmarks went to the top or bottom when they are sorted by Title or Date Created, then they would no longer be sorted. That is a non starter.

With manual sorting, they go to the bottom of the folder, whether using the Bookmarks Bar or the Bookmarks Panel.

An option to add new bookmarks at the top would be useful for some users, though not for me personally. I tend to rename bookmarks after adding them, and then sort them manually to wherever I want them.

• @pesala said in Add Bookmarks to Top or Bottom of Folder:

If bookmarks went to the top or bottom when they are sorted by Title or Date Created, then they would no longer be sorted. That is a non starter.

I agree, and I never suggested that, so I'm not sure what you were responding to there. I'm only discussing the bookmark behavior with manual sorting enabled, not any other sorting methods.

@pesala said in Add Bookmarks to Top or Bottom of Folder:

With manual sorting, they go to the bottom of the folder, whether using the Bookmarks Bar or the Bookmarks Panel.

Not true. At least not in my case. When I drag a bookmark to a folder, it goes to the top. I'm using manual sorting. See clip below.

The clip shows the following issues I have:

1. New bookmarks go to top of folder
    2. I cannot move bookmarks within a folder on the bookmarks bar, even with manual sorting enabled. I can only move them around in the sidebar.
    3. I cannot even right click on the bookmarks inside a folder on the bar. When I right click, it opens the page just like left click. So I cannot delete them, or do anything else with them. I can only right click on bookmarks that are sitting directly on the bar, and also in the sidebar.

Bookmark issues

So are these bugs?

1. Try opening any folder on the bookmarks bar, and "Add active tab." Or, click on the Add bookmark icon in the URL or use the Ctrl+D shortcut to open the Add bookmark dialogue. Drag and drop cannot be used on the Bookmarks Bar except for top level folders. It can be used in the Bookmarks Panel, where it will also add bookmarks to the top.
    2. The Bookmarks Bar code is incomplete. It's not a bug, strictly speaking, just a missing feature.
    3. Vote for the existing feature request for Context Menu in the Bookmarks Bar in the Bookmarks Bar.

• @pesala dragging and dropping is how I add bookmarks to folders 99% of the time, and the most efficient way. Any other methods are not useful to me.

Anyway, currently the bookmark bar is just not working right, and that's really hampering the experience (that, and the broken tab mute). Hopefully they'll fix it up soon. I'll check back in a few updates.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.