Hebrew fonts not displaying properly

• I'm on Linux Lite, a ubuntu derivative.

At https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+34&version=WLC;ESV, the hebrew characters in the WLC version do not all display correctly. Slimjet, another Chromium deriv, also displays them imperfectly. Yet the Epiphany browser displays them fine.

I have SILOT font installed on the machine.

Thanks,
    Paul

• @paul1149 said in Hebrew fonts not displaying properly:

the hebrew characters in the WLC version do not all display correctly

Works on Windows.

On Ubuntu 17 i can see the issue.
    0_1496827791389_blank-hebrew.png

Looks like some special "space" characters are missing.

Page uses fonts in CSS like "Helvetica Neue",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
    Perhaps the substitute font on Ubuntu is broken.

My Ubuntu uses:
    [email protected]:~$ fc-match Arial
    LiberationSans-Regular.ttf: "Liberation Sans" "Regular"
    [email protected]:~$ fc-match Helvetica
    n019003l.pfb: "Nimbus Sans L" "Regular"
    [email protected]:~$ fc-match "Neue Helvetica"
    DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
    [email protected]:~$ fc-match Verdana
    DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"

Installing more fonts did not help:
    sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer culmus

• @Gwen-Dragon Mine looks exactly like that. Now here it is in Epiphany, which is WebKit based, on the same linux install:

0_1496830355992_Selection_001.jpg

It appears to be a non-breaking space that is at issue, because I don't see any missing characters.

I didn't see any font spec in Inspect Elements, and I didn't see any way in Vivaldi to check or spec text encoding for the page.

• @paul1149
    That page look like this on my Vivaldi Snapshot.
    0_1496831309339_d6037d2e-691d-4b3a-a482-0579c283ddcd.png

My regular Sans font=Ubuntu, Sans-serif=Liberation Serif, Monospace=Ubuntu Mono.

Play with these settings, especially Sans Serif. That page alone use common web font family "Helvetica Neue",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif.
    0_1496831417505_maim_2017-06-07_17-27-09.png

BTW, I can't find information about SILOT font.
    Ignore, my Cursive & Fantasy I don't have "Impact" and or "Comic Sans MS". :grin:.

• On my Debian 8.8 KDE i get the broken dispaly of the font, too.

• If it works on Windows, then I suppose it's a Linux problem.

SILOT is a Hebrew font that I found in my Bible program, theWord, which runs in WINE, which has its own font stock. I took it and installed it directly in Linux. I'm not sure what other Hebrew-capable fonts are on board.

The odd thing is that Epiphany handles it well. I find it difficult to imagine that Epiphany, which is on the bare-bones side, would come with its own fonts.

Back to Vivaldi (1.9.818.50 (Stable channel) (64-bit), BTW), https://www.blueletterbible.org/wlc/psa/34/1/s_512001 displays the page perfectly. I see that it calls for the SBL_Hebrew font, but I don't see that installed on my system. Would this not mean that the system is not at fault? What's left, page encoding?

• Ah, if i go to Vivaldi Settings ā†’ Webpages and change the default fonts to Droid Hebrew all is fine.

• @Gwen-Dragon
    All I could think of right now,

• Font cache broken or incomplete.
    • fontconfig error. Unlikely if we just leave it default settings but possible.

Try to run;
    @> fc-cache -rv
    That will force rebuild our font cache (~/.cache/fontconfig or old place ~/.fonts) & take a while depended to how many fonts we have. Restart any Chromium based browsers and or restart your X session.

On side notes; that Tofu (blank box) shouldn't show up from beginning. Hebrew was supported by any standard fonts on all OS. Linux = DejaVu/Bitsream Vera families.

• @dLeon No, i cleared/rebuild the font-cache already for user ans OS.
    Looks like Vivaldi does not use the correct substitute font chars on Linux.

• Ok. First, here's a proper install of ezra-SIL hebrew font:
    http://www.fontspace.com/category/hebrew

I did that and logged in again. No change. Then I specced Ezra-SIL-SR as V's "Standard" font, and the page immediately corrected itself without reloading - which I find odd.

The question I have is, why is V not finding a newly-installed appropriate font? It seems I shouldn't have SIL in my "Standard" font designation, and I don't see where else to put it. But then, it seems that having it there doesn't interfere with normal English pages.

Also, I just realized I have a couple of local style sheets that affect BibleGateway.com. But back to Open Sans as V's Standard font, I turned the style sheets off and it still displayed imperfectly.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Hebrew fonts not displaying properly:

Looks like Vivaldi does not use the correct substitute font chars on Linux.

Check my screenshot above, even if I set it to Sans, Sans-serif & Monospace in Webpage settings, Vivaldi show the page like that.

I tested with Google Chrome Beta 59.0.3071.83, same result.

• The problem for these rectangles mostly are missing Unicode glyph in font for language specific spacing.

• @paul1149

The question I have is, why is V not finding a newly-installed appropriate font? It seems I shouldn't have SIL in my "Standard" font designation, and I don't see where else to put it. But then, it seems that having it there doesn't interfere with normal English pages.

Finding font:
    The explanation really round around confusing. I spend years to roughly understand fontconfig, unicode & fonts in Linux or any OS overall.

Even if you have your favorite font installed it's not instantly used by program.
    It need to be register on top font search in fontconfig configs. Or, like you did, specifically select that font in program.
    For me, those fontconfig configs are nightmare.

The font cache only act as a register that show a font capable to support specific language.

Program will use what ever registered/listed first in config especially for Latin it's DejaVu families or Arial if that installed per most Linux distro. If current font not capable to show the glyph/character, fontconfig will search capable font & show that, draw back is it could show broken/ugly paragraph. If all fail, Tofu (blank box) show up.

As you mentioned the Tofu glyph also happening in other Chromium based browser. The problem might be lay somewhere else.

Font on page:
    All HTML, set default fonts.
    For https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+34&version=WLC;ESV was Helvetica Neue",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif
    Now for Linux fontconfig default settings, Helvetica Neue, Verdana & Arial was set to same as DejaVu Sans which in turn set as default system Sans Serif. So Latin are safe.

I know my attempt to explain all those fonts issue was dreadful. I'm sorry for that.
    It just like that. The issue Why, Who, What, Where, How is just too big.

• @paul1149
    About SILOT font.

No wonder I couldn't find info about it.
    I have that Ezra font in my repo. Download it. The filename was SILEOT full internal name Ezra SIL.

• @dLeon said in Hebrew fonts not displaying properly:

Font on page:
    All HTML, set default fonts.
    For https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ps+34&version=WLC;ESV was Helvetica Neue",Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif

Thanks, that was helpful. It seems that perhaps the problem is that BibleGateway does not spec a dedicated Hebrew font for the page, while BlueLetterBible, where the Hebrew works, does. If it did, would V then look for a substitution? But then, Gwen says V displays correctly in Windows, so it can't be a site problem.

• I just install that directly to the system (before it was in user font folder). No difference.

• @paul1149 said in Hebrew fonts not displaying properly:

But then, Gwen says V displays correctly in Windows, so it can't be a site problem.

It is a problem with the Linux's substitution for undefined characters in required font with installed fonts.

If you found a bug, please report the issue to the developers to fix it.

How to do a bugreport for Vivaldi
    Report each bug seperately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    if you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics card/GPU.
    Add a link to a testpage where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.
    If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

• @paul1149
    Yeah, the issue with why both of you has font problem in Vivaldi and how HTML page show characters were different.

I don't know why @Gwen-Dragon Vivaldi also show Tofu glyph. She already ruled out my thought.

For HTML specific page, we could change its default font with CSS userstyle. So we don't need to change browsers default font or even system default font.

• @dLeon said in Hebrew fonts not displaying properly:

For HTML specific page, we could change its default font with CSS userstyle. So we don't need to change browsers default font or even system default font.

Ok, I added "Ezra SIL SR" to my local style sheet, and the problem immediately resolved. I'll try to get to the bug report. Thanks again to both of you.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.