Urlfilter.ini

• Hello! First, congratulation to this Browser, i really like it! (i'am one of these guys still using opera 12 ;) the only thing i'm missing at the moment is the good old urlfilter.ini, is such a feature planned in future? many thanks for developing a real alternative to opera 12!!

• Hi,

Opera has never been number one for me. But urlfilter.ini was good solution.

Best Regards

• Hi,

I totally agree. urlfilter was fantastic! It was a lot better than any bloody extension. urlfilter was a core functionality that even blocked sites during thumbnail creation.
    All flavors of Opera did support that functionality even the mobile version! Today there are so many different mobile browsers on the market and not a single one is offering something similar to urlfilter.
    If you consider the amount of data usage spoiled just for ads and shit like that … urlfilter would be "the killer feature"!
    As far as i know urlfilter was an essential feature of Presto engine and Vivaldi is based on Blink (based on WebKit). So I doubt that urlfilter will be implemented in Vivaldi. In case they do so it won't be a low level implementation as it was in Presto. Maybe they will offer similar functionality as an extension but then it would be only half as good as it has been back in the days.
    I could continue for hours pointing out why people want to have urlfilter.ini back … but I will end for now and keep hoping for the best! ;)

• Maybe some kind of hybrid urlfilter.ini would be possible in collaboration with the Adblock maker so you could update it with the already known Ad urls and it would work faster than extension if it's integrated to the program?

Totally support, my urlfilter.ini blocks almost all ads and breaks no functionality, something that happens with extensions.

• Hi,

the main problem is that the extensions are not active all the time. It is just an add-on and not part of the rendering engine. Even if you have your adblocking extensions active it will be bypassed in some situations.

I have attached some screenshots.
    If you look at Opera 12, urlfilter will remove ads as expected. But the same content will also be removed during thumpnail creation. On the Speed Dial page you will see that even there all ads have been blocked.
    If you compare with Opera 27 (or Chrome etc.) you will see that the adblocker is removing ads, but not on the Speed Dial page!

An extension will get bypassed while urlfilter.ini won't! This is why it always have been a killer feature! ;-)

You can say that urlfilter.ini always does what you expect it to do, while an extension doesn't. Simple as that. ;-)
    Attachments:

Another way is to think an urlfilter.ini tells the browser to deny connections from those hosts. While an extension is merely looking at the requests the browser will make to then block them.

• Yes, both URL filter and ad-blocker should be added in Vivaldi.

• When Vivaldi adding AdBlock feature to the browser (i.e. urlfilter.ini or other methods), the one / maybe the only solution for adblocking is the use one of the adblock extensions of Chrome.

I use uBlock; and it's OK, now: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

Why use uBlock? Here is the answer by developer:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pqggnbOipZF-6cOJuBXrI7db5niHlhZqPoe9fRT5taBEmu5W6oJ2kqk0caDoMxGhrjW6FG1q=s640-h400-e365-rw

• Hi,

I really believe that an extension / ad-on always remains as second best choice over an urlfilter that is built into the rendering engine.
    Sure, it will remove ads when browsing … so the annoying part will get removed. But still the ads will be loaded when a thumbnail of the page is being rendered.
    When data usage is of any concern, then people would really prefer a low level urlfilter that ensures in all cases that all the unneeded images, flash and nasty js won’t get loaded at all.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.