Opera Neon - What is it?

• The link gives a 404 error currently. Maybe it was something that was leaked accidentally. :D

• @kumiponi said in Opera Neon - What is it?:

The link gives a 404 error currently. Maybe it was something that was leaked accidentally. :D

Hmm ... Opera delete files :)

Here it is:
    http://www.gigabase.com/getfile/HXO91X.ykaGZN1E-MaJnq-BB/Opera-Moment-Developer-1.0.2429.0-Autoupdate.exe.html

• Here are some images:
    6_1482426248450_opera-neon-start.png
    5_1482426248449_opera-neon.png
    3_1482426248448_opera neon snap.png
    2_1482426248448_opera neon snap 2.png
    4_1482426248449_opera-neon gallery.png
    1_1482426248447_opera neon player.png
    0_1482426248445_opera neon about.png
    It says in about: "The fast, easy and safe browser". It's also codenamed "Opera Moment" in "about:version": 0_1482426432631_IDR_PRODUCT_LOGO.png

• Vivaldi Translator

It's looks like UC Browser + Yandex Browser with new interface Calipso

• It's officially out now

http://www.opera.com/computer/neon

• Vivaldi Team

I see the blog post is written by my old boss and makes a few dubious statements, like

Here are some new features you won’t have seen in a browser before

and then listing things like

Vertical, visual tab bar on the right side

Not only do we have this but you can have them on the top, left, bottom, or no visuals, or show only favicons, or removed completely…

They also talk about things like Split screen mode, which I consider to be a signature feature.

P.S. Our latest snapshot lets you copy the screen shot directly to the clipboard.

• They seem to be doing their best to alienate *nix users, not even a mention about it in the release. Even their stable and beta versions force a choice between a deb/rpm.

• @ruario Didn't old opera have vertical visual tabs too? Neon seems like Opera trying to get back to it's roots via Vivaldi features. They do have something with the snapshots accessible from the side menu though.

• I kinda like that GUI. Practically nothing on it. I wonder if that left and right bar can be hide. More contender more fun.

@Jargonius
    Getting ideas from anywhere just okay you know. As long we stay away from copyright materials. I don't recall any Vivaldi features copyrighted. Their problem is how they said no one ever did that before, marketing.

@hasina
    No, I don't thing they even thought to try alienate *nix users. It's their habit to throw for Windows first. Anything else follow. So does most any software devs that provide multi-platform softwares. They will throw for Windows first, Apple first or Android first. Only opensource devs who usually do the other way around.

• Huh. Kind of an interesting approach. The extreme scarcity of keyboard shortcuts means it's still a toy for me for now, but it's certainly clever.

Having read the descriptions, and user comments on their blog, I can't bring myself to try it. It would be totally incompatible with my work flow. And I can hardly imagine anything worse than tabs that re-position themselves.

• Just installed it - it has a hugely irritating idea of an inch strip down the right side telling you what page you're on - WHY IS THIS NECESSESSARY ? and a smaller strip down the left taking valuable mm's off the main screen - and for what ????
    Please let me know how to get rid of both please.....

• Oh - one other thing. Just got rid of Vivaldi as it refused to search from the address bar. Also, kept giving notices of posts on Facbook - which I don't want, and hadn't a clue how to put both right. So - back to SR Iron which hasn't let me down

• It's just a concept, I think it's nice they are trying something new with the layout. That being said... the browser is just a waste of screen space. The actual content of the webpages is displayed painfully small. Instead of maximising vertical viewing area, which oughta be natural because they already got rid of tabs and address bar on top, they manage to put it all to waste by displaying a big title bar for webpages. They also should have made the speed dial transparent instead of copying the wallpaper, would have made much more sense.

• Just tested it and for me it seems like a browser inside some form of a System. I would say, even though I never tried it, this should hint at a possible competitor to Chrome OS more than a desktop browser.

As a desktop browser the UI, even though is beautiful, it is not practical.

Also it seems that one of big boasts about this new browser in Opera site and the media is the ability to split screen tabs. They never heard of Vivaldi for sure.

Curious to see were they take it or if it will only ever be a concept, but a desktop browser it is not for sure

• Houston we have a problem!! :alien:
    • OK! Please use Vivaldi. :art:

:laughing:

• The majority of time I'm using Vivaldi, I have it in 'chromeless-UI mode,' as I can't stand clutter and prefer using keyboard shortcuts and command lines/overlays as I need them. That should tell you how much Neon appeals to me :P

• @purgatori said in Opera Neon - What is it?:

The majority of time I'm using Vivaldi, I have it in 'chromeless-UI mode,' as I can't stand clutter and prefer using keyboard shortcuts and command lines/overlays as I need them. That should tell you how much Neon appeals to me :P

What do you mean by "overlays"?

• @dLeon It's okay to copy but it makes them less new/innovative if they do.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.