Keyboard Shortcuts For Main Menu

• I have found that the keyboard shortcuts for the main menu e.g. ALT+F for the 'File' menu item have not been working since the last few versions:

When ALT is pressed the Menu DOES show the Underline for the character that can be then pressed in conjuction with ALT, but when that character is pressed the underline disappears and nothing else happens.

Tested on Fresh install of Windows 7.

There is no single key shortcut for File menu.
    It is:

1. press Alt key
    2. then press F key

Works foe me on: 1.13.1008.18 and 1.12.955.48 on Windows 10 x64

• @gwen-dragon

I have acknowledged that in my original message:

QUOTE:

• list item'When ALT is pressed the Menu DOES show the Underline for the character that can be then pressed in conjuction with ALT, but when that character is pressed the underline disappears and nothing else happens'

If the browser menu bar is displayed, then Alt+F should pull down the menu. Anything else is clearly a bug. I think this did work in earlier versions, but I don't use the menu bar.

Alt, then F is arguably the correct behaviour for the button menu, but that too would be easier to use with Alt+F.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit ā€¢ Snapshot 1.13.1008.18 (64-bit)

Ah ok, i misunderstood which menu was meant.

Yes, if the horizontal menu is visible is Alt+F should open the files menu.

Bug is: VB-32821 "[regression] Alt+letter shortcut doesn't work to open main menu"

• @gwen-dragon

Not fixed yet in v1.13.1008.32.

Alt+FEVTWH should also work for the button menu!
    In v1.12.955.48 it works either way!

Please append these in VB-32821 if lacked.

• Just adding a "me too" for this bug: -

• 1.13.1008.32 (Stable channel) (32-bit)
    • Windows 7 64-bit

I must admit I'm bit surprised this managed to get through QA and into a release. I just upgraded and hit this within 5 seconds! :slight_smile:

@vias said in BUG: Keyboard Shortcuts For Main Menu:

Please append these in VB-32821 if lacked.

Done.

• Still broken in Vivaldi 1.13.1008.36 32-bit.
    Running on Windows 7 64-bit.

@martyn Yes. I guess some recent fixes for shortcuts in web applications like GMail or Wordpress etc. broke use of shortcuts in Vivaldi menu.
    But this bug has not high priority as users can use the menu by pressing Alt to open the menu and then the underlined key of menu entry.

• Thanks for the update @gwen-dragon.

But I'm a little surprised if that how the dev team operates. If my dev team introduce bugs while trying to fix others if they cannot fix it straight away, their change gets rolled back until they can provide a quality fix.

It appears you're operating with practice of "last-commiter-wins" which should be a concern.

Does Vivaldi have a documented QA/acceptance process?

@martyn Your assumptions are all wrong. You do not really have insights on the Vivaldi dev and testing process and QA.

But with your huge knowledge and you large developer team you can fix the bug, please give us a hint. Awaiting your suggestions.

How to do a bug report for Vivaldi

Report each bug separately at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/
    Describe the issue as precise as you can.
    Add some information about extensions you use.
    Add information about the operating system and version you use.
    Add some information which security tools you use.
    If you have problems with video or audio give us information about your installed codecs and graphics
    card/GPU.
    Add a exact link to the page where the issue comes up and can be tested.
    After reporting the issue, you will receive a confirmation mail from the bugtracker.
    In a reply to this mail you can add more information and files (like screenshots or testcases) as
    attachments and it will be added automatically to bug report.

If you have questions about the bug please ask in forum first and do not forget to post the VB-XXXXX
    bug number (you can find it in confirmation mail).

Thanks in advance for helping us to make Vivaldi better!

@martyn The way I see it is that the fixed bug has more severe consequences for more users than the newly introduced regression caused by fixing the original bug.

I am sure that some users still use the Browser Menu Bar, but that far more do not. On the other hand, many users need shortcuts to work for editing in Web Applications.

• @gwen-dragon I wouldn't say this bug doesn't have user impact. It makes the menu all but unusable for keyboard users.

As far as I can tell (1.14.1072.3 on Windows 10 64-bit) there's absolutely no way to use menu commands without resorting to the mouse. Alt+F highlights the "File" entry but doesn't actually open the menu. The focus stays on the page.

Another related issue is that the cursor left/right keys don't work to navigate in the menu, so even after you open, say, the File menu with the mouse there's no way to navigate to the Edit or Tools menu by keyboard.

This has been 100% reproducible for me in the last few releases. I'd be glad to provide extra information if necessary.

@mrubli2 said in BUG: Keyboard Shortcuts For Main Menu:

@gwen-dragon I wouldn't say this bug doesn't have user impact. It makes the menu all but unusable for keyboard users.

Depends how users act with keyboard usage.
    Users can use the menu pressing the keys in a sequence. That is usable.
    May be that is not the behavior some user like you want to have.

The issue is known but no fix in progress.

• @gwen-dragon said in BUG: Keyboard Shortcuts For Main Menu:

Users can use the menu pressing the keys in a sequence. That is usable.

Would you mind elaborating on this? What keys do you press to get any of the menus to show up, e.g. the Window menu? No matter what sequence of keystrokes I press (Alt+W, Alt+W then Enter, Alt then Enter, etc.) I can't get it to open.

As a fellow developer I appreciate that some bugs take a while to resolve. I just hope it's being tracked as something that does have real user impact, especially on those of us who love Vivaldi because it allows us to get stuff done efficiently without constantly reaching for the mouse.

Cheers.

What keys do you press to get any of the menus to show up

First, disable the Browser menu bar. Then use the Alt key to show the menu, then F, E, V, T, W, or H.

Would you mind elaborating on this? What keys do you press to get any of the menus to show up, e.g. the Window menu?

Sequence of key strokes:
    Hit Alt
    Release Alt
    Hit W

• Ah, the key was to disable the menu bar which I normally have enabled. Thanks! That'll do as a workaround for now. I hope VB-32821 covers both cases. :fingers_crossed:

I hope VB-32821 covers both cases.

I think so.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.