Why does openSUSE "zypper install" threaten to remove "Desktop" [but not do it, phew!]?

• Hello

I remain happy with my distro & DE, but i also like exploring alternatives [in VMs], for fun, learning [& masochism?]. Currently i'm dabbling with openSUSE-Tumbleweed-x64-Snapshot20170510, with Plasma5 DE. It's pretty impressive, though i'm not yet familiar enough with non-Debian/Ubuntu file manipulations. I have learned & successfully used [eg]:

sudo zypper install <<pgm>> → There is a peculiar thing/bug though... see this sample copied from Konsole:

me@linux-sr0s:~> sudo zypper install kmymoney
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 19 NEW packages are going to be installed:
    <<snip>>

The following application is going to be REMOVED:
     Desktop

Happily, it does not actually delete the desktop [that would be catastrophic]. However WHY does it say this? Does it like to make timid new users run & hide under the bed?

..............................................................................................
    Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    Vivaldi 1.10.845.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

..............................................................................................

I do not know, but Desktop looks like a meta-package and you should first inspect which packages depend on Desktop.

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Why does openSUSE "zypper install" threaten to remove "Desktop" [but not do it, phew!]?:

should first inspect which packages depend on Desktop.

Danke. I did these, & learned nothing useful.

steffie@linux-sr0s:~> rpm --test -e Desktop
    error: package Desktop is not installed

steffie@linux-sr0s:~> rpm -q --whatrequires Desktop
    no package requires Desktop
    steffie@linux-sr0s:~> rpm -qa | grep Desktop
    steffie@linux-sr0s:~>

Puzzling!

Really strange.
    I do not know OpenSUSE. But what the hell is the application called Desktop? DDG was not finding any information.
    Does OpenSUSE really mean: KDE Plasma Desktop!?

• @Gwen-Dragon said in Why does openSUSE "zypper install" threaten to remove "Desktop" [but not do it, phew!]?:

I do not know OpenSUSE.

Me either. My total experience with it is merely a couple of hours of mucking about with it in a VM over the past few days. It's been one of the distros i've had for ages on my "might be interesting to learn about" list. Since i came to Linux from Windows in 2013/14 i have gravitated somehow to Debian/Ubuntu-based distros, so "other" systems like Fedora, Arch/Manjaro, openSUSE etc are still a bit "strange" for me, & i still feel rather "uncomfortable, off-balance, & lost" in them. Having said that, so far i am really very impressed with openSUSE [i'm playing with its rolling release Tumbleweed stream, KDE/Plasma5 DE (not GNOME, which i really dislike in all distros)].

Given i've not yet discovered what "Desktop" truly means in those Konsole windows, i'm kinda leaning towards the warning messages being maybe just a bug. All i can say for 100% certain is that ignoring it & proceeding with those installations did NOT remove the Plasma Desktop. Also, if i choose to install those same packages via the YaST2 GUI instead of Konsole, NO such warning messages appear at all.

Obviously if i registered myself in the openSUSE fora & posted my enquiry there, i might find the answer. I initially just tried here in V first, as i was feeling too lazy to bother with the new user registration palaver over there ;-)

Tower & Lappy = Maui Linux 17.03 x64 Plasma 5.9.3.
    Vivaldi 1.10.845.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.