Windows Update not updating (Windows 7 64-bit)

• Hello everyone!

I have a dual-boot PC with both Windows 7 (64-bit, which was pre-installed) and Linux. The Windows side of this PC also has Vivaldi installed and I have Vivaldi installed on my other PC which is Linux only.

For close to one year now, Windows Update has not updated with any of the updates from Microsoft and I'm at a loss as to why.

I have downloaded and run software from Microsoft's web site that supposedly would have fixed whatever the issues are, however Windows Update still fails to indicate any updates. I could turn the PC on, log in, manually launch Windows Update from the Control Panel and let it sit there for 2+ hours and it still shows it's looking for updates.

Is there anything I could look at to see what exactly is going on?

The current setting for it, is to download updates automatically and let the user choose to install them. I have also had this set to check for updates first, then choose which ones to download and this had the same behavior.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Windows 7 has End of Life. No regular user support any more since 01-2015.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

• @edwardp

So there is not one single solution here?

https://www.google.com/#q=windows+7+64+bit+update+issues&*

If not, it's time to move on to Windows 10.
    I never had an update issue there. :grinning:

• Vivaldi Translator

@Gwen-Dragon said in Windows Update not updating (Windows 7 64-bit):

Windows 7 has End of Life. No regular user support any more since 01-2015.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

But we are not Microsoft employees so we can ignore this date...
    Windows 7 has security support until 2020, so Windows Update should work.

@edwardp said in Windows Update not updating (Windows 7 64-bit):

and let it sit there for 2+ hours and it still shows it's looking for updates.

Windows Update is unfortunately sometimes crappy.
    Did you try to install these updates manually?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53332

Or you can try to install "Service Pack 2":
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1

• @Gwen-Dragon It should still receive the extended support though (probably security related items only), through the 14 January 2020 date.

• @nfsmaniac I will download those two updates, as well as use the settings on the above referenced Microsoft page and see how it goes.

Thank you for the links.

• @Dietrich The first link in those search results (which I didn't get!) has some great information.
    I will report back with what occurs.

• @nfsmaniac One of the two listed updates, was already installed. Upon installing the second one, that fixed Windows Update. It subsequently retrieved numerous updates.

It is now working again. :)

Thank you all for the help.

• Vivaldi Translator

One of the two listed updates, was already installed. Upon installing the second one, that fixed Windows Update. It subsequently retrieved numerous updates.

Yes, the first update was a dependency to the second update. So I had rather listed that update.
    I'm glad that it's working fine again for you.

• @nfsmaniac I noticed there are some new (?) Security and Quality Rollup updates. Windows Update (WU) first displayed the rollup for March. As is, that particular update failed with a certain error code indicating a privilege issue (don't have privileges to install, even though my account is the Administrator account). The rollup description mentioned the same fixes were also available in both separate Security and Quality updates, both available from the Microsoft Catalog web site. Then when both of these were installed separately, the installs were successful.

Today, WU displayed the same type of rollup update was available, but for January. That also failed with the same error, but when I looked at that description, the March update(s) superseded it, so the system should otherwise now be up to date.

I don't mind manually installing updates if need be, I already do it that way in Linux. :)

• Vivaldi Translator

If all fail.
    Isn't Microsoft provide collection of updates in ISO file freely enable for download? They're targeted for corporate administrators.
    I forgot where they put those things, maybe at MDN. I already left Windows years ago.

No need to be read, just story:
    When still using Windows, I also update it manually. Really manually. With batch file installing their update*.exe /i /q(or something) in succession sorted by date.

Windows update historically, killed or destroy my system more than 5+ times. I said neva again.
    In Linux? Naah, same. Ubuntu auto update also did same thing to me.

On all case they were not easy to track, which updates break the hell. Seeking advices what to do, first three hundred (maybe they're Spartan) will tell me to re-install OS.

• @dLeon Microsoft has a web site known as Microsoft Catalog, which only works with Internet Explorer. I had to download a few updates from that site when the full rollup would not install via Windows Update, but everything else comes through WU.

Even with Linux, I manually update (in Fedora: sudo dnf upgrade). Works for me.

• Vivaldi Translator

Microsoft has a web site known as Microsoft Catalog, which only works with Internet Explorer. I had to download a few updates from that site when the full rollup would not install via Windows Update, but everything else comes through WU.

Yeah, I know.

Even with Linux, I manually update (in Fedora: sudo dnf upgrade).

:thumbsup_tone3:

• @dLeon It took four evenings (of a few hours each) to get all of the updates from the past year to be installed...

• Vivaldi Translator

It took four evenings (of a few hours each) to get all of the updates from the past year to be installed...

:grin:
    I can't tell if you're happy, mad or want to punch someone face.

BTW, how big is that (probably roughly) total updates from last year to now?

• @dLeon I'm actually happy that it's now updated. :)

I'll guess that around 750Mb of updates were downloaded in all. The largest group, which was on the first successful check after it started working again, was around 340Mb. Then as I ran it again a few times each night, updates still continued to be displayed each time, until of course, there was nothing available.

Why all of them didn't display at once, I'm not sure, but it's entirely possible that some updates were contingent upon earlier updates being installed.

• Vivaldi Translator

@edwardp

Why all of them didn't display at once, I'm not sure, but it's entirely possible that some updates were contingent upon earlier updates being installed.

It's how Windows Update work. Some updates only show up after we do have other needed updates.
    Most noticeable before/after Service Pack update.

• @dLeon Windows 7 (Home Premium) came pre-installed on the system and it included Service Pack 1. Although if the hard drive eventually fails (as it did on my other PC with Vista pre-installed), I have no way of reinstalling it, so the system would then become Linux only. Everything I can do in Windows, I can do in Linux. :)

• Vivaldi Translator

Although if the hard drive eventually fails (as it did on my other PC with Vista pre-installed), I have no way of reinstalling it, so the system would then become Linux only.

It's true, that OEM licenses are quite restricted. But a hard drive is NOT critical. I suppose that you have some recovery partition from PC manfacturer. If you lost it because of hard drive failure, you can simply download CLEAN Windows (e.g. from MSDN) and use the product key from Windows license label sticked to your PC (but of course you'll have to obtain and install drivers by yourself).
    Or you can use some partion-management SW to backup the recovery partition and then restore it to a new HDD.

• I just gave up on W7 & switched to Fedora Linux last weekend 8)
    W10 is Malware!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.