Is it possible to share/sync profile with Windows?

• Windows will probably always be my default OS. Seeing that there is no present online sync option for Vivaldi (a roadmap project?), would like to know if it is possible to sync Vivaldi profile on Linux to Windows one via Dropbox maybe?

They are transferable from one to the other by actual physical file copy, but there is no reliable way to sync them using the cloud.

LastPass extension works, when set to binary. (it works in regular mode, too, but slow to sign in) People also use XMarks and EverSync with some success, except that these extensions have also been seen to impair some of Vivaldi's own bookmark settings.

There's no perfect way right now, but people are using workarounds.

• Thanks Ayespy!

Will be content with way things are for now and pickup on those occasional "workarounds".

• Would it be possible to set up a symlink for some of the key files if you dual-boot (assuming you also auto-mount the partition that has your Windows appdata)?

Maybe symlink to the bookmarks and notes files.

I'm in the process of setting up a dual-boot, and it was something I'm going to try. I think I remember people saying you could do it with old Opera, but there might have been some issues.

• A symlink is not possible, e. g. password store is encrypted and cannot be used on another system.

You could sync the files between Linux and Windows using rsync on Linux:

$ rsync -nauxv --exclude-from=~/vivaldi_excludes <linux_path_to_vivaldi>/ <windows_path_to_vivaldi>/

$ cat ~/vivaldi_excludes
    /Channels 
    /chrome_shutdown_ms.txt 
    /First Run 
    /Local State 
    /Safe Browsing Cookies*
    /Default/Service Worker/CacheStorage/</windows_path_to_vivaldi></linux_path_to_vivaldi>

Do this before shutting down Linux and booting Windows. After booting Linux do it with pathes switched:

$ rsync -nauxv --exclude-from=~/vivaldi_excludes <windows_path_to_vivaldi>/ <linux_path_to_vivaldi>/</linux_path_to_vivaldi></windows_path_to_vivaldi>

• I'm not geeky enough.
    Never heard of symlink or rsync before, but i i follow your directives for rsync and paste them into the terminal, it should work?

• It should work. I transferred profile from vivaldi-snapshot to vivaldi sometimes this way (they are two different packages on Linux with two different profiles). I copied the profile (excluding directories in ~/vivaldi_excludes) from Linux to Windows, too. Both ways worked fine.
    But you should have access to the Windows profile dir in your Linux system. If you are not really familiar with Linux you should have a partition, directory, share or whatever that is mountable on both system.
    Then you can copy your Linux profile with rsync command into an "transfer directory" (under Linux) and then copy everything from "transfer directory" into your Windows profile directory (under Windows).

• Hope to try this next Monday.

If there was a way to share via Dropbox then it could serve as Vivaldi backup/restore too maybe?

• My Vivaldi profile has approx. 13k files. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to sync this via Dropbox ;-)

For Backups I would write a script that sync profile into a temporary directory without excludes and then zip the directory.

• @tstiefel:

A symlink is not possible, e. g. password store is encrypted and cannot be used on another system.

I was able to use a symlink, but not for the full profile. I don't use the internal password storage. A symlink to bookmarks file and the notes file worked. For me, that's all that really matters. Mail too, eventually.

• @ugly:

@tstiefel:

A symlink is not possible, e. g. password store is encrypted and cannot be used on another system.

I was able to use a symlink, but not for the full profile. I don't use the internal password storage. A symlink to bookmarks file and the notes file worked. For me, that's all that really matters. Mail too, eventually.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Symlinks were working for my bookrmarks and notes files. But at some point, the symlink gets over-written. Not sure what causes it. I did a quick search and it seems it is something that Chromium does.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.