Distinguishing hibernated from non-hibernated tabs

• I keep a lot of tabs 'open' (vertical tab bar), but most are hibernated. Depending on the task I'm working on, a few will be active, but visually there's no difference, and it would be really helpful to be able to quickly 'see' which are in memory and which aren't. I tried via Inspect to see if this was possible with CSS, but the only class I saw added was 'active' to the currently active tab. Is there another way? If not, feature request: Add 'hibernated' class to hibernated tab divs... On the theme of hibernation, I'd like a 'hibernate / unhibernate' button on the tab like the close button - finding it in the context menu is cumbersome, and I'd also like to be able to hibernate the currently active tab (behaviour would be as if tab was closed - i.e. jump back to previous tab, but leave tab hibernated for later). This button would need to know the current hibernation state obviously.

• I always kind of thought the unread indicators were meant for hibernated tabs, and just didn't work correctly all the time. But I leave that option off, so I don't know.

If you want to see what tabs are active and taking up resources, you can press shift + esc(Windows), and see your processes there for now.

• Hmm - I haven't looked at that option, but your comment that it "just didn't work correctly" doesn't inspire confidence :)

In general, I try to minimise the number of 'loaded' tabs, but a quick visual clue as to which are loaded and which hibernated would be useful for more than just resource management. I use the tab bar as a kind of instantly visible bookmark list for sites I use a lot (for example, I manage 7 websites each of which have 4 'tabs' for the staging and production front end and back end, and I regularly switch between them). Then I have other tabs with various sources of information relevant to whatever I'm working on on those sites. Pretty soon it's a long list, and quickly locating the last few loaded tabs amongst the hibernated ones is tricky. Treevstyle tabs on Chrome did this really well, and I was much more efficient using it, but am determined to support Vivalid, and the integrated UI is much cleaner than TST.

• Well, I haven't used unread tab indicators in a very long time, so don't take my word for it. Maybe it works now, but I haven't used it. Try it out and see if it works, or if that's it's function in the first place. :)

• Turns out I already had 'Use Unread indicators' checked, and now experimenting with it, I can't see any difference between ticked and unticked. So I guess you're still right sadly :).

Incidentally, the settings search bar for 'unread' doesn't bring up this option either.

• That's odd. So either I don't know what the real function of unread indicators are, or they don't work. You could try writing a bug report here if you want to let the team know it's not working: https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

• As far as I know, the point of the unread indicators is merely what the name literally suggests – an indicator of "Here's a tab you opened in the background that you haven't read yet". I find it useful (although I changed it to a bright green dot at the center-top of the tab, finding that better at catching my attention).

• I concur. Unread indicators simply show you haven't looked at that tab yet (it will only appear if you create a background tab from a link on an existing page).

It never had anything to do with hibernation (so I don't think anyone should file a bug on this!).

• +1 for the 'hibernated' class (or alternately a 'loaded' class for loaded tabs)

I tried custom styling the .progress-indicator to achieve this, but it is not reliable when navigating within stacked tabs, or for manually hibernated tabs.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.