Search Engine

• Good morning: I am pleased to see that DuckDuckGo is one of the search engines provided in Vivaldi. My personal preferences are Startpage and Ixquick . In a the previous version of Vivaldi, I was able to add them to Vivaldi, but in the most recent version, this does not work. Would it be possible to bring these search engines back into Vivaldi? Thanks.

• Adding search engines manually should work, see this thread.

The default bing search though seem to have extra parameters tacked on. Is there something to be worried about…
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/bing-search-deeply-embedded-starts-through-www/5cb2ab98-0dff-420b-9e32-f1c81e0cdbc5?auth=1

• Thanks again vbop! That does exactly what is needed.

As for bing, I never use it, so had deleted it from the proposed list. I have DuckDuckGo, Wikipedia and Google, with Startpage now as my default ( and home page). :woohoo:

@vbop:

Adding search engines manually should work, see this thread.

The default bing search though seem to have extra parameters tacked on. Is there something to be worried about…
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/bing-search-deeply-embedded-starts-through-www/5cb2ab98-0dff-420b-9e32-f1c81e0cdbc5?auth=1

The default search will probably ALWAYS have extra parameters tacked on, to monetize it. Opinions are divided as to whether this is something to be worried about. Without the extra parameters, Vivaldi is not funded to continue operations. With them, the search request passes thru a portal owner who sells statistical results to their customers, and kicks back a fraction of the money they earn to Vivaldi, so they can pay their team. It's a tossup. If Vivaldi had identified this as a security or privacy threat, they would not have signed the contract. On the other hand, you can enhance your "privacy" (as though such a thing existed) and deny Vivaldi funding, by deleting the search parameter Vivaldi installed with the browser and and adding your own direct from the search site.

• Wasn't Yahoo! the default search engine? After the update to Vivaldi 1.3.544.25 (Developer Build) (32-bit) Yahoo! seems to be gone. I had to choose one manually again. Was there a special reason to remove Yahoo! or is only something wrong with my update?

• @RJules3:

Wasn't Yahoo! the default search engine?

It was just a test. The default is now Bing

Search engine changes

Some of you might notice that the default search engine is now Yahoo!. We are conducting a test and would like to hear what you think. You can always change it back to Bing or any other search engine. This won’t affect those who have already changed their default search engine.

• Thank you, Pesala!
    From the team blog: … We are conducting a test and would like to hear what you think. ...

So I can assume the response was that negative, Yahoo! was removed from the list of search engines? Are these comments published anywhere? It is kind of astonishing since Yahoo! is 'Powered by Bing TM'. Don't get me wrong, I don't need Yahoo! as a search engine, I'm just curious to hear what was wrong there.

• Would also have been nice if any other default search had been activated after removing Yahoo where it had been the default. :whistle:

• Is good to have diferent search engines, but my preferent is DuckDuckGo

Yahoo as default was a limited time test. Everyone who tested it decided to use a different search engine.

Snapshots are not stable versions and are not intended to be a final product or to see broad public use, necessarily.

I noticed that when Yahoo was not default, it was not included in the package at all - again, it is "powered by Bing."

So anyone on a snapshot can assign whatever default search they wish, add back Yahoo if they miss it, etc. Unknown whether it will be included in the 1.3 Stable version when it's released to market.

• Not everyone.
    I used it BECAUSE it was a test.

I didn't see that test was finished and thought the update was broken for a few minutes ;)

This is the "Joy of Snapshots".

• @TbGbe:

Not everyone.
    I used it BECAUSE it was a test. …

Was it really a test? I thought it was Vivaldi's way to generate some traffic and I felt like a supporter. :)

@TbGbe:

… I didn't see that test was finished and thought the update was broken for a few minutes ;) ...

That's pretty fast! I needed more time to understand why after the update to the latest snapshot suddenly the search box wasn't working anymore. I didn't think the removal of a search engine to be something like a necessity.

• I usually used F2 as search, when nothing happened I tried restarting etc. When I tried Search URL Field then I noticed no engine mentioned.
    So checked search settings and Voila!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.