Please fix Vivaldi's excessive disk writing to topsite file - it's killing my SSD.

• Hey. Running latest Vivaldi on Win 10. I know it was supposed to be fixed months ago but I still experience the issue. I've been using Vivaldi for a year and the topsites bug is still present on my computer. Worst part is I switched to SSD and now I can't hear the excessive writing to the disk. With HDD I heard the writing and could delete the topside file but with SSD I resort to running taks manager fomr time to time to see if Vivaldi performs heavy writing on the disk. This is urgent. Vivaldi manages to write around 20 GB/hour on the SSD. I'm worried with its lifetime. Please fix this already. I also know when the bug is triggered. It's when my speedial begins to miss some or all of the thumbnails, then I open task manager and see Vivaldi performing excxessive writing to the disk. When I delete both topsite files the bug is gone for some days/weeks. If you want me to provide any logs or possible feedback - feel free to ask.

• Deleting the 2 top site files have fixed that issue for me completely. And i am far away from reaching 20 GB/hour. Perhaps you should try a totally fresh profile or rebuild your old one. Now, with the switch towards the Chromium 52 engine it would be a good time for doing so.

• To prevent the high hard drive usage I have to delete both Top Site files every 3-4 weeks. I use the Linux version

• @Stephan_63:

To prevent the high hard drive usage I have to delete both Top Site files every 3-4 weeks. I use the Linux version

You're happy with your 3-4 weeks. I gotta delete them every 3-4 days, if I want to avoid excessive HDD writing.

• In my point of view the error in not acceptably and I think about to return to Opera.

• I agree. I am too thinking about going to my older browser, but not because disk problems, I don't have that, it's more because of ram usage, with the same tabs and no extensions activated, vivaldi uses 350-400ram, while Firefox was using 200-250MB, both with 5 tabs open.

• @Khidreal:

I agree. I am too thinking about going to my older browser, but not because disk problems, I don't have that, it's more because of ram usage, with the same tabs and no extensions activated, vivaldi uses 350-400ram, while Firefox was using 200-250MB, both with 5 tabs open.

For the 10 years in using Firefox I've never seen it with anything less than 700MB. 250MB is only when I open just one tab with Settings. :lol:

• Problem with high hard disk usage , happens only if you have speed dial's?

• @rado84:

@Khidreal:

I agree. I am too thinking about going to my older browser, but not because disk problems, I don't have that, it's more because of ram usage, with the same tabs and no extensions activated, vivaldi uses 350-400ram, while Firefox was using 200-250MB, both with 5 tabs open.

For the 10 years in using Firefox I've never seen it with anything less than 700MB. 250MB is only when I open just one tab with Settings. :lol:

LOL
    here is a scrnst of my firefox:
    https://i.gyazo.com/087ed7605951d80afe5dd91a975dfc4c.png

webpages open:
    softpedia.com
    wired.com
    ghacks.net
    mozilla.org
    microsoft.com
    html5games.com
    http://html5games.com/Game/Football-Headz-Cup-2/f65dfdc8-40e5-461d-908e-3164f5da22d0
    http://games.cdn.famobi.com/html5games/f/football-headz-cup-2/v040/?fg_domain=play.famobi.com&fg_aid=A1000-1&fg_uid=f65dfdc8-40e5-461d-908e-3164f5da22d0&fg_pid=4638e320-4444-4514-81c4-d80a8c662371&fg_beat=900#_ga=1.247103181.817593449.1469738362 –-----------> actual html5 game running

as you see, 8 tabs opened and even with a game playing, it didnt even reached 500MB. are you sure you just don't use a reckless amount of extensions or something?

• is this fixed in the 1.3 release?

• Sadly it isn't fixed in the 1.3 release, i don't know why this isn't their #1 priority.

• Hi, the problem is it seams only 2-3 user have the problem but there are 10000´s of user don´t have it.
    I use Vivaldi on several systems with HDD, SSD on Linux mostly but two on Windows and never had this problem.
    The only thing I can remember I wipe the "default" directory several times on all systems since I use Vivaldi for years now.
    I always use latest snapshots.

Cheers, mib

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.