Sidebar toggle button

• I want to suggest changing the sidebar toggle button location next to the Backward/Forward buttons, because as it is right now, it takes viewing space from the webpage and I'm not really a fan of that idea, therefore I have to resort to pressing F4 to have it open/close every time I need it. Not only that, but sometimes I have to use the On-Screen Keyboard, and pressing F4 isn't possible there. Why next to the Backward/Forward buttons? It could be on the status bar, but if you only have the URL overlay, there is no other sensible place to put it than next to the Backward/Forward buttons. In that notion, I would like to suggest adding an option to the sidebar settings that turns it into an overlay window, so that when it pops up, it doesn't "squeeze" the page content, but actually overlaps it and pressing anywhere outside of it closes it. [img]https://i.imgur.com/0Z3S394.png[/img] Or maybe put the panel on the right side: [img]https://i.imgur.com/eQ0oejr.png[/img]

• In settings, panels you can put the panels on the right.

You can also hide the Status bar, or show it as an overlay, saving more screen space, and then there is no panel toggle button (which should be moved to the right if the panel is on the right)

(VB-8055) Icon to Show/Hide Panel on Wrong Side
    (VB-8054) Icon to Hide Panel has tooltip "Show Panel"

There are two sidebar panel toggles: One at the bottom in the status bar and one that appears in a very thin strip at the far edge of the browser when you turn on "show panel toggle" in settings.

Which of these buttons did you want in the position you suggested?

• @Pesala:

In settings, panels you can put the panels on the right.

You can also hide the Status bar, or show it as an overlay, saving more screen space, and then there is no panel toggle button (which should be moved to the right if the panel is on the right)

(VB-8055) Icon to Show/Hide Panel on Wrong Side
    (VB-8054) Icon to Hide Panel has tooltip "Show Panel"

Dude… what?! O_O did you really read my post AT ALL?!

I know you can move the panel to the right, I know that you can replace the full status bar with an overlay that only displays the URL the cursor is hovering on. I don't wanna sound mean, but your reply is like one of those Microsoft vague replies where people ask a question regarding a problem they have and the Microsoft staffer copies and pastes something from a Help file that even the original person already knows or just answers something really idiotic. I'm sorry if I offended you, but your reply makes no sense regarding the discussion, because even in the second mockup I made, I had to switch the panel to the right in order to make it.

@Ayespy:

There are two sidebar panel toggles: One at the bottom in the status bar and one that appears in a very thin strip at the far edge of the browser when you turn on "show panel toggle" in settings.

Which of these buttons did you want in the position you suggested?

Well, I'm not familiar with Vivaldi's UI "anatomy", so I don't know if I should say "the one in the status bar" or "the thin strip", so I will say, "whichever". This is all in hopes of streamlining the UI even more. I recently made Vivaldi my main browser and DuckDuckGo my search engine, so when I'm not using Chrome/Google Search I can find missing features or flaws and report them to their respective developing teams. I'm hoping my suggestion and examples raises a good enough point in order to be considered a potential feature.

OK. Just to be clear, when you go into settings and tell it to "show panel toggle," a tiny thin strip appears at the right or left edge of the browser with a little bitty arrow in the center of it. It takes up almost zero room. You can see it with the status bar on or off. When you click that strip, the panel bar appears or disappears. So there is a panel toggle that consumes zero vertical space. On the status bar at the bottom of the browser, if you have the status bar turned on, there is a box at the far left side which is 1/3 white and 2/3 black. That's the other panel toggle. If you're very thrifty with vertical space, you will have the status bar off, so you will never see that button. So it would make sense that if you turn off the status bar, a panel toggle would appear next to the address bar so that you could still toggle the panel without the tiny strip visible, either.

Of course you could have both the panel toggle AND the status bar off, and just hit F4 and make the panel bar appear or disappear. So there's that…

• @LAMBDA471:

Dude… what?! O_O did you really read my post AT ALL?!

You have a really bad attitude. Of course I read your post.

The second screen shot looks like a mockup because the download panel is not full height. Both of your screen shots show the status bar, so maybe you don't know that it can be hidden? After all, you're the new kid on the block, and don't yet know the correct terminology for the Panel Toggle, which is not the button on the Status Bar. The Panel Toggle does not seem to be shown in either of your screen shots, so I had to assume that you meant the button on the status bar, which can be hidden, saving some important vertical screen real-estate.

I can manage without the toggle strip as I leave the panel toolbar on always.

• I want to suggest changing the sidebar toggle button location next to the Backward/Forward buttons,

How a toggle button, that hides itself the first time you click on it, is supposed to work? :blink:

The two actual ways to toggle the whole side panel are placed on the status bar and on the windows border, for a reason. A good reason.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.