Question about links

• So whenever I create an Internet Shortcut by dragging an URL to the desktop or to a folder, it places a number in front of the shortcut name. What is that and how can I get rid of it?

@jhkumar:

So whenever I create an Internet Shortcut by dragging an URL to the desktop or to a folder, it places a number in front of the shortcut name. What is that and how can I get rid of it?

Don't know. Doesn't happen here.

• It's doing it for me too. The number is part of the Forum thread's URL.

https://vivaldi.net/forum/vivaldi-browser/12128-question-about-links/reply

I get it. You can see it if you drag a forum topic - but only then, because it's part of the name. I had not tried that.

• It's not just forum links, it's any URL and it's been that way since day one.

@jhkumar:

It's not just forum links, it's any URL and it's been that way since day one.

Not here. What's your version number? What's your platform?

• @Ayespy:

@jhkumar:

Not here. What's your version number? What's your platform?

Windows 10 64-bit and Vivaldi 1.2.490.43, but this problem has existed all along and I started using Vivaldi pretty early in its development cycle.

And do you use the 64-bit or the 32-bit version of the browser?

• @Ayespy:

And do you use the 64-bit or the 32-bit version of the browser?

32-bit. I didn't even know that there was a 64-bit version. Haha.

Well, I'm on the same setup as you, and I have never seen the symptom you are having.

I wonder if a profile refresh would fix it?

• @jhkumar:

Unable to confirm here.

• @Ayespy:

Well, I'm on the same setup as you, and I have never seen the symptom you are having.

I wonder if a profile refresh would fix it?

How do I do a profile refresh?

Find your "Default" folder as indicated at the entry, "Profile Path" under Menu/Help/About.

Shut down Vivaldi, go to the Default folder and re-name it. If the Browser begins working normally, then move your vital data from the old re-named Default folder to the new one Vivaldi created when you started it back up. If you had extensions, re-ad them one at a time, and check after each one to see if the browser is still working normally.

• @Ayespy:

Find your "Default" folder as indicated at the entry, "Profile Path" under Menu/Help/About.

Shut down Vivaldi, go to the Default folder and re-name it. If the Browser begins working normally, then move your vital data from the old re-named Default folder to the new one Vivaldi created when you started it back up. If you had extensions, re-ad them one at a time, and check after each one to see if the browser is still working normally.

Ayespy, I did exactly what you suggested. I shut down Vivaldi, went to the User Data folder and renamed the Default folder. I restated Vivaldi, and dragged couple of URLs from various news sites. The problem persists. Whenever I create a URL shortcut by dragging, Vivaldi either inserts a numeric value or creates its own name. Let me give you an example. I created two shortcuts by dragging to desktop, one from Firefox, one from Vivaldi

Firefox created this: "Brexit David Cameron to quit after UK votes to leave EU - BBC News"

Vivaldi created this: "uk-politics-36615028"

• @jhkumar:

Windows 10 64-bit and Vivaldi 1.2.490.43, but this problem has existed all along and I started using Vivaldi pretty early in its development cycle.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit and Vivaldi 1.2.490.43 (32 bit) [ same with Vivaldi 1.3.519.25 (64-bit) ]

Went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Dragged the link for "Cameron to quit after UK votes to leave EU" to desktop.
    Shortcut is labelled "Cameron to quit as UK votes to leave EU"
    Shortcut URL is "http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36615028"
    (Just as a check, I tried with setting, "show full url", Enabled and Disabled - made no difference.

However, as the label is slightly different, I suspect you did not use the BBC site.

• @TbGbe:

@jhkumar:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit and Vivaldi 1.2.490.43 (32 bit) [ same with Vivaldi 1.3.519.25 (64-bit) ]

Went to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Dragged the link for "Cameron to quit after UK votes to leave EU" to desktop.
    Shortcut is labelled "Cameron to quit as UK votes to leave EU"
    Shortcut URL is "http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36615028"
    (Just as a check, I tried with setting, "show full url", Enabled and Disabled - made no difference.

However, as the label is slightly different, I suspect you did not use the BBC site.

I followed your link and created a shortcut. It reads: "uk-politics-36615028." :( And, yes, enabling "Show full url" has no effect.

I wonder if you are on a proxy or something? When I drag a link it shows up on my desktop with the exact same label it had on the web - no difference.

• @Ayespy:

I wonder if you are on a proxy or something? When I drag a link it shows up on my desktop with the exact same label it had on the web - no difference.

No, I am not. I do run a VPN, although having it on or off seems to have no impact.

Well, unless someone can replicate it, there's no way to fix it.

• @Ayespy:

Well, unless someone can replicate it, there's no way to fix it.

Okay, thank you! I truly appreciate the time you spent on this. I'll keep fiddling with it and report back if I have success.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.