Twitter videos not playing

• That's the whole problem; most twitter videos don't play, giving the message "this browser does not support video playback". I've searched a lot and understand that it might have something to do with H.264. There are even some packages for linux; any similar solution for OS X? (I'm on El Capitan 10.11.5, latest Vivaldi snapshot, but the problem has been here for many versions now) Thanks.

I just did a Twitter search for "video" and tried to play the first 10-15 videos. All of those worked flawlessly for me and none resulted in the "this browser does not support video playback" error message you have mentioned. I'm also on OS X 10.11.5 and latest Vivaldi developer snapshot (v1.3.501.6).

Could you give us a few links for Twitter videos that don't work for you so we can try to reproduce the issue? Also, do you have Flash installed or any browser extensions that could affect video playback?

• I also have been having this issue. Not all videos, but this one for example:
    https://twitter.com/BuzzBird_tweet/status/735094204066451456
    I'm on the latest snapshot, latest OS X

Thanks for the link, ChimeraTech.

On my MacBook Pro, that video, too, plays without a problem. However, on a Mac Pro that I sometimes use for testing how Vivaldi behaves with a (somewhat) clean profile, I now do get the "this browser does not support video playback" error message. That's very interesting.

The affected Mac Pro is still on OS X 10.11.4, but that does not seem to be the issue, as others are reporting that they experience the problem on 10.11.5.

I tried a whole bunch of things but I could neither get my MacBook Pro to show the error message, nor could I get the Mac Pro to not show it. If anyone has a good idea for things to try, I'm all ears.

• @BohemiaDrinker:

That's the whole problem; most twitter videos don't play, giving the message "this browser does not support video playback". I've searched a lot and understand that it might have something to do with H.264. There are even some packages for linux; any similar solution for OS X?

(I'm on El Capitan 10.11.5, latest Vivaldi snapshot, but the problem has been here for many versions now)

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay. Almost no video plays in Twitter. Flash is installed and up to date, and videos, in general, plays fine. The issue is only on twitter.

As for extensions, the ones that could mess with video, I think, are uBlock and YouTube Center; but I have tried to load twitter with all extensions disabled and the problem persists.

I tried playing Twitter videos on yet another Mac (a Mac Mini running 10.11.5) today, and there, they also didn't work, just like on my Mac Pro. So it really looks like the Twitter videos working on my MacBook Pro is somewhat of a freak incident, likely caused by something in my extensively modified profile.

On the plus side, reproducing the problem should be relatively easy for the devs by just using a fresh Vivaldi profile.

• @NSSynapse:

I tried playing Twitter videos on yet another Mac (a Mac Mini running 10.11.5) today, and there, they also didn't work, just like on my Mac Pro. So it really looks like the Twitter videos working on my MacBook Pro is somewhat of a freak incident, likely caused by something in my extensively modified profile.

On the plus side, reproducing the problem should be relatively easy for the devs by just using a fresh Vivaldi profile.

Hmmm, would mind me telling me what modifications you made, if it's not too much work? Maybe we can find a solution.

I've changed a ton of preferences and also hidden settings that you can only reach by chrome://settings/…, none of which I have really documented. I have also migrated a bunch of extension data from Opera, although I did try disabling all extensions and that didn't make a difference, so I would think that the issue is not related to extensions.

Finally, the Vivaldi profile on my MacBook Pro was created about a year ago when I first started playing with Vivaldi, so it is very possible that those early versions (or any version since then) modified my profile in such a way that prevents the problem from occurring.

I'll see if I can spend more time on trying to narrow down what it is exactly that is causing the Twitter videos to correctly play on my MacBook Pro but apparently not on any other Mac. On the other hand, the issue seems to be very easy to replicate, so I would hope that it wouldn't be too difficult to fix for the devs.

It looks like the issue has been fixed on Twitter's end.

I was just about to update Vivaldi on my Mac Mini, on which I did get the "this browser does not support video playback" error message before, when it occurred to me to test if the Twitter videos still cause problems. Lo and behold, they now work fine, including the one ChimeraTech posted earlier in this thread.

I don't remember making any changes to Vivaldi on that Mac Mini since I last observed the problem, which leads me to the assumption that Twitter made a change on their end that fixed the problem.

Has the problem been fixed for you guys as well?

• Unfortunately the link I posted earlier still isn't working for me.

https://twitter.com/yihsuan0820/status/739138862803345408

Would you mind trying this video (which also doesn't work for me) on your Mac Mini to see if it works as well for you? Thank you for your help

That video, too, works on my Mac Mini. When I tested it on my Mac Pro, though, I get the "This browser does not support video playback" message, which, it turns out, I also still get for the earlier video on that machine.

I then went ahead and deleted ~/Library/Application Support/Vivaldi on both of those machines to test if there was something in one of the profiles that would cause the different behavior, but it didn't make a difference.

After a bunch more tinkering, I figured out that if I disable the hidden setting "Use hardware acceleration when available" (chrome://settings/search#accel) on my Mac Mini, I start getting the error message again. So now I still don't have a good idea why my Mac Mini initially showed that problem and then was suddenly able to handle the twitter video a few days ago (I definitely did not touch that hardware acceleration setting until today), but it does look like that error message is related to hardware acceleration (or the absence thereof).

Maybe hardware acceleration is not available in Vivaldi on my Mid 2010 Mac Pro but it is available on my Mid 2011 Mac Mini (and my Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro) and Vivaldi is currently not able to handle video playback without it? This is turning into quite the wild goose chase…

• I have this same problem with a Mac Pro. I've tried with hardware acceleration option on and off, Ublock Origin on and off, Vivaldi 1.2 and 1.3.519.25. No videos play in Twitter at all. They do play in Tweetdeck though.

Which specific Mac Pro model do you have, Shojin? (-Menu->About this Mac)

I did some more testing and found out that Opera and Chromium also give me the "This browser does not support video playback" message for (most) Twitter videos on my Mid 2010 Mac Pro, so the problem does not seem to be limited to Vivaldi. Safari and Chrome do play the videos, though.

Here's some more evidence that the issue is indeed related to hardware acceleration not being available on some Macs:
    When you go to vivaldi://gpu, you can see an error log at the end of the page. After I unsuccessfully try to play twitter videos on my Mac Pro, I get the following error message in the log:
    [1633:1295:0629/204336:ERROR:gpu_video_decode_accelerator.cc(361)] : HW video decode not available for profile 1

• It's an early 2009 Mac Pro, but I've updated the firmware so it registers and works as a 5,1. It has a GTX980 GPU and X5690 CPU's.

Twitter videos work fine for me everywhere I've tried, except Vivaldi, including, as I mentioned, the tweetdeck website.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.