Why No MHT Option in Print Preview (Better Than PDF)

• Chrome extensions for MHT are not as good as Firefox's, and are not updated. Why not offer MHT as a print option, it would be way better than the current PDF option, which I've never used. MHT is a much better format than PDF, especially if you have an extension like Firefox's Scrapbook X for editing MHT files.

• I am not sure why this would be a Print option. Why not a File, Save as.. option like in Opera 12.17?

• Saving that way can be enabled in Vivaldi. If you bring up chrome://flags, you'll find this item:

Save Page as MHTML Mac, Windows, Linux
    Enables saving pages as MHTML: a single text file containing HTML and all sub-resources. #save-page-as-mhtml

Just click on Enable, restart Vivaldi at the prompt, and you're good to go.

• Or just go to this address: chrome://flags#save-page-as-mhtml click on Enable and relaunch Vivaldi.

That seems to work.

• Seems kinda strange that the browser knows the MHT format well enough to save-as, but not to open and display existing MHT files. Old Opera used to have this - it was one of the very few browsers that did - but new Opera and Vivaldi don't.

• @abm0:

Seems kinda strange that the browser knows the MHT format well enough to save-as, but not to open and display existing MHT files. Old Opera used to have this - it was one of the very few browsers that did - but new Opera and Vivaldi don't.

I have no problem opening the *.mht files that I saved from My Opera.

Its is not implemented by Chromium devs (and therefore not in Vivaldi code).
    I think because MHT is not a print output format but a MIME encoded HTML archive.

• MHTs open just fine for me in Vivaldi, but not by association from a file manager, which is obvious from the fact that the type has no icon. I have to open it from Vivaldi's File Open dialogue. If Internet Explorer were enabled, however – I've completely disabled it here -- it would probably open by association in IE.

MHTs are great for reading offline, but the original links are preserved, so one has to be online to follow them. When saving a complete web page with its connected folder, the links often point to that local folder.

• @fretist:

MHTs open just fine for me in Vivaldi, but not by association from a file manager

Mine opened in Opera 12.17, but I just changed the default associated program to Vivaldi.

• I always print to XPS files, and discovered that yes, MHT is a better route to take if you only want to view the page from a local file. Using the same web page (a news article), I made a comparison between the XPS output from Vivaldi and the same from a Gecko-based browser, K-Meleon. Vivaldi apparently created the XPS based on an image. I could not select any text in it, nor could I search for text, whereas K-Meleon's XPS allowed both. Not only that, but the text in the Vivaldi file was not very clear, in that the letters were squeezed together in many places; probably this was due to the same thing: it was actually only an image. That also accounts for its larger file size.

MHTs, on the other hand, preserve all the images. They seemed to have gone missing in both of my XPS files, although the online page was full of images. I always opt for background images, but these were foreground images. MHTs also preserve the links, whereas the links in the XPS files, while underlined, were not clickable.

I'm not sure, however, what kind of print output I would have gotten with PDFs, or on paper as a hard copy.

• @fretist said in Why No MHT Option in Print Preview (Better Than PDF):

I always print to XPS files[..]

In Windows, maybe. Which nobody uses any more (except -maybe- those forced by some of their work software and /or practices; & kids.)

@Pesala said in Why No MHT Option in Print Preview (Better Than PDF):

@abm0:

Seems kinda strange [..]

I have no problem opening the *.mht files that I saved from My Opera.

++

@Gwen-Dragon said in Why No MHT Option in Print Preview (Better Than PDF):

Its is not implemented by Chromium devs (and therefore not in Vivaldi code).
    I think because MHT is not a print output format but a MIME encoded HTML archive.

Right (?!??), so... I wonder what. the. hell. is about to happen once I RELAUNCH NOW. xD

SpaceWalkMHTML

• No need for the Save As MHT extension.

@fretist
    Vivaldi with the option enabled saves files with the .mhtml extension, maybe the reason why the type has no icon, but in my version of Windows it is associated to IE by default.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.