Strange Audio Blip/Distortion on Startup

• Year long user (since March 2015), first time poster. I've noticed that, around the first stable edition, bringing up Vivaldi causes a slight audio distortion when I load the browser. I replicated this on another Mac aside from my primary MBPr mid-2015--that one being a late 2010 Air with both running El Capitan (10.11.5) Sometimes happens when bringing up a private window upon loading Vivaldi, but aside from that, everything else runs smoothly including video and audio. Has anyone else encountered this? Could it be an issue with Chromium?

• Hi!
    I have the same strange sound when I launch Vivaldi, although it does not happen all the times.
    And it also happens with the latest versions of Opera.

• Glad I'm not alone on this! :) If it's also happening with recent Opera builds it may be something to do with Chromium. I'd like to know if any other Chromium-based browsers, including itself, have this same issue or if it also occurs in Chrome proper. Anyone?

• No, it does not happen with Google Chrome.

• Just took a look at Chromium's bug list* and found one that might be related to the issue… [attachment=3820]ScreenShot2016-06-11at2.49.17PM.png[/attachment]

Hope this helps! :)

*This takes you a few pages into the complete list.
    Attachments:

• Bumping this topic to note that the issue still occurs in the latest snapshot (1.3.519.25) as before along with the recent update on the stable channel, noting that the former builds–including the last one–had nothing in their notes about any updates to Chromium.

Edit: Only tested this out on the MBPr, but not the Air. Decided to stick with Firefox on that one for the time being.

• Occurs for me as well, but only in Vivaldi (no other Chromium based browser). It also happens when I open a new tab, and is especially pronounced if I open a lot at once; for example I sometimes drag a bunch of URLs into a folder to deal with later, then open them all up at once, and the distortion can be pretty bad in this case. To clarify, this is when opening new tabs with content (not when opening a new tab with the speed dial page), e.g- command-clicking on links or opening a bunch from a folder, external links (from Mail) and so-on.

I find it strange that this should occur though; surely the browser only needs to interact with audio APIs if it encounters some kind of audio content, otherwise it should do nothing audio related at all.

• @Haravikk:

Occurs for me as well, but only in Vivaldi (no other Chromium based browser). It also happens when I open a new tab, and is especially pronounced if I open a lot at once; for example I sometimes drag a bunch of URLs into a folder to deal with later, then open them all up at once, and the distortion can be pretty bad in this case. To clarify, this is when opening new tabs with content (not when opening a new tab with the speed dial page), e.g- command-clicking on links or opening a bunch from a folder, external links (from Mail) and so-on.

I find it strange that this should occur though; surely the browser only needs to interact with audio APIs if it encounters some kind of audio content, otherwise it should do nothing audio related at all.

I'm rather glad you mentioned this, Haravikk. My issue was merely with opening up the browser, or opening a new private window, along with opening the speed dial on* startup. Hopefully, this gets addressed somewhere down the line and soon.

It's the most unusual bug I've encountered with a web browser that I can recall.

*Upon? First time I used this sort of phrasing. Wanted to make sure I got it right.

• With advance apologies for bumping this post. Just wanted to note that the blip issue has improved on my end. Most times, it only happens upon first opening the program, more specifically a new private window. If I have the computer still running, from said boot, the issue doesn't occur at all. This all applies to the 1.3 stable build.

How is fairing for everyone else?

• It happens every startup if Vivaldi is selected to load at startup.

• It's happening for me too. It only happens when I start Vivaldi, not when opening other tabs.

• yup, same here, everytime I load the browser I hear this sort of clip/distortion (Vivaldi 1.4.589.11 on Yosemite)

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.