Why does H.264 support is not installed by default in Vivaldi?

• In the last few weeks the missing H.264 codec has become a problem. I saw many alternatives to using it on vivaldi but why it is not included by default?

which platform?

@guiscaranse:

In the last few weeks the missing H.264 codec has become a problem. I saw many alternatives to using it on vivaldi but why it is not included by default?

What platform? Works perfectly on Win 10. I've done absolutely nothing to alter the browser's video compatibility. Downloaded nothing.

• Linux Opensuse, thought it was a "all platforms" problem. Didn't know it was installed by default on windows.

• @guiscaranse:

Linux Opensuse, thought it was a "all platforms" problem. Didn't know it was installed by default on windows.

Actually is not vivaldi that installs the h264 codec on windows. Microsoft does it (and pays royalties to do so).

Most of the Linux distros can't do so (hardly they can/want pay royalties for the official proprietary codecs, and the opens source version of them are in a not so clear legal position, at least on some countries, starting from US)

• @The_Solutor:

@guiscaranse:

Linux Opensuse, thought it was a "all platforms" problem. Didn't know it was installed by default on windows.

Actually is not vivaldi that installs the h264 codec on windows. Microsoft does it (and pays royalties to do so).

Most of the Linux distros can't do so (hardly they can/want pay royalties for the official proprietary codecs, and the opens source version of them are in a not so clear legal position, at least on some countries, starting from US)

Any alternative for it on linux?

• @guiscaranse:

Any alternative for it on linux?

Vivaldi uses a specially compiled version of FFmpeg on Linux and the MS codecs on Windows.

Because the sandbox and other technical complications it can't use a "suitable codec" like any mediaplayer does.

So the answer is basically "no"

The same is true for other chromium based browsers, except Chrome which come bundled with many proprietary things.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.