Singleton locks exists - re-insall does nothing - Vivaldi Dead

• Singleton locks exists - re-insall does nothing - Vivaldi Dead ubuntu@ubuntu:~/.config/vivaldi$ ls Certificate Revocation Lists EVWhitelist ShaderCache CertificateTransparency First Run SingletonCookie Crash Reports Local State SingletonLock Default Safe Browsing Cookies SingletonSocket Dictionaries Safe Browsing Cookies-journal ubuntu@ubuntu:~/.config/vivaldi$ ls -l total 188 -rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 177100 Jun 3 17:24 Certificate Revocation Lists drwx------ 4 ubuntu ubuntu 80 Jun 3 21:39 CertificateTransparency drwx------ 2 ubuntu ubuntu 40 Jun 3 17:18 Crash Reports drwx------ 13 ubuntu ubuntu 880 Jun 3 22:33 Default drwx------ 2 ubuntu ubuntu 60 Jun 3 17:20 Dictionaries drwx------ 3 ubuntu ubuntu 60 Jun 3 17:39 EVWhitelist -rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 0 Jun 3 17:18 First Run -rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 2279 Jun 3 23:59 Local State -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 7168 Jun 3 23:55 Safe Browsing Cookies -rw-r--r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 0 Jun 3 23:55 Safe Browsing Cookies-journal drwx------ 3 ubuntu ubuntu 60 Jun 3 17:18 ShaderCache lrwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu 19 Jun 3 21:33 SingletonCookie -> 2336503173952332344 lrwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu 12 Jun 3 21:33 SingletonLock -> ubuntu-12769 lrwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu ubuntu 48 Jun 3 21:33 SingletonSocket -> /tmp/.com.vivaldi.Vivaldi.JUMyhF/SingletonSocket ubuntu@ubuntu:~/.config/vivaldi$ vivaldi [15839:15839:0604/000323:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(270)] Failed to create /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi/SingletonLock: File exists [15839:15839:0604/000323:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1446)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption. LaunchProcess: failed to execvp: /proc/self/exe ubuntu@ubuntu:~/.config/vivaldi$ ^C ubuntu@ubuntu:~/.config/vivaldi$ Running on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Live CD. This isn't the first time. There is another instail, not vivaldi, where a lock file has to be removed manually. So, the "Re-install" method of making stuff work again just doesn't work.

• Remove the singleton file and restart vivaldi:

rm /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi/SingletonLock
    vivaldi

If this does not work, you might consider deleting the profile directory (but you are going to lose your settings/customization)

some preferences/settings can be saved from ~/.config/vivaldi/Default
    here are the files:

• Bookmarks
    • Notes
    • Login Data

if you use Vivaldi with passwd stored, have a look here

• It did happen more than once. Nothing stored of any value. Live CD.

I did delete the Singletonlock file but may have attempted a re-install instead of a re-run.

The bad part, is that re-install does nothing and there is no remove option. Usually through the Software center you get remove, install and re-install as appropriate.

• If nothing is of value, then (depending whether you have installed stable or snapshot version):

Delete ~/.config/vivaldi
    Delete ~/.cache/vivaldi

Delete ~/.config/vivaldi-snapshot
    Delete ~/.cache/vivaldi-snapshot

Purge the package
    sudo apt-get purge vivaldi
    sudo apt-get purge vivaldi-snapshot

Then, if any of those directories exist, remove them
    /opt/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi-snapshot

Then reinstall and you should be good to go

• Sure apt-get purge? I only know

sudo apt-get --purge remove <package></package>

• It happened again. Vivaldi was open and I logged into a hotspot with a start page.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ vivaldi
    [29067:29067:0722/105225:ERROR:process_singleton_posix.cc(270)] Failed to create /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi/SingletonLock: File exists
    [29067:29067:0722/105225:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1446)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
    LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
    /proc/self/exe
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ps -e | grep vivaldi
    4717 ? 05:49:44 vivaldi-bin
    4733 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-sandbox
    4734 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-bin
    4736 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-bin
    27806 ? 00:00:09 vivaldi-bin
    27822 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-sandbox
    27823 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-bin
    27825 ? 00:00:00 vivaldi-bin
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ rm /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi/SingletonLock
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ rm /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi/SingletonLock
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ vivaldi
    LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
    /proc/self/exe
    Created new window in existing browser session.

It says it created a new window in existing browser session, but it did not.

Vivaldi dead!

• It seems about the same.

I logged out and logged back in again and got the "Profile error", but Vivaldi launched. I did the log in/log out thing a few more times and Vivaldi gets the "profile error" but will launch.

So, I guess it's too easy to get profile corruption.

• Looks like there's a problem here alright. These forums are supposed to bring such issues to the attention of the developers, but they all seem to be out to lunch. Is there a way to notify them and ask them to take a look?

The developers and internal testers read here regularly. They just don't necessarily comment all that much. To be absolutely sure to get a bug registered, report it at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport.html

If you do so, it will be tested internally to see whether it can be replicated, and added to the list of bugs to be fixed. At the moment, something in the neighborhood of twenty thousand individual bug reports have been logged. Some are duplicates of others, of course but there's too much work to do to implement fixes, to chat about what's going on here.

I guarantee you that every single bug that gets formally reported, gets looked at.

• OK thanks, I'll do that.

@Ayespy:

The developers and internal testers read here regularly….

true!

Looks like there's a problem here alright….

please, post the output here:

sudo find / -name 'vivaldi*' 2> /dev/null

• This is what I got:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo find / -name 'vivaldi*' 2> /dev/null
    /etc/alternatives/vivaldi
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
    /etc/cron.daily/vivaldi
    /etc/default/vivaldi
    /home/ubuntu/.config/vivaldi
    /home/ubuntu/.cache/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_material_200_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_100_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_200_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_material_100_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/cron/vivaldi
    /usr/bin/vivaldi
    /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable
    /usr/share/applications/vivaldi-stable.desktop
    /usr/share/doc/vivaldi-stable
    /usr/share/doc/vivaldi
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/vivaldi.png
    /usr/share/menu/vivaldi.menu
    /usr/share/xfce4/helpers/vivaldi.desktop
    /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/vivaldi
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vivaldi-stable.prerm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vivaldi-stable.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vivaldi-stable.postinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/vivaldi-stable.list

The "check the profile" really doesn't give me any idea what to look for and I don't see any sort of "profile"name in any settings.

It's happened 2x so far and I believe it happened both times, when the browser was open and the laptop moved to a physically different place miles away for internet access.

Currently, I have not "fixed" ("Launch without the profile error splash screen") this install except for the log in/log out thing.
    That just made Vivaldi start.

Asides:
    1. I am getting rare crashes (dead birds), but need to track the URL's and report. Refreshing the page works. Posted briefly.
    2. The PDF Viewer has the wrong arrows > instead of V search down a page. (not reported).
    3. I believe there is a really simple way to install pepperflash and I'll report when I duplicate it. Two directories need to be created and two files downloaded from Adobe need to be placed in there. If it works, I'd probably recommend that the Vivaldi installer create those directories as empty.

The "profile" is the Default folder identified in help/about/profile path

@KeepItSimpleStupid:

This is what I got:

thx. it's like mine.

in absence of any other advice, i suggest to move your profile folder to another location (see vivaldi://about/) and issue the following command:

sudo apt-get --purge remove 

after that: download Vivaldi here and install using sudo dpkg -i

• please, post the output here:

Reply to lamarca:

qbx:~># sudo find / -name 'vivaldi*' 2> /dev/null
    /root/.opera/icons/vivaldi.net.idx
    /root/.opera/icons/vivaldi.com.idx
    /root/.config/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_100_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-sandbox
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_material_100_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_200_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/cron/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi_material_200_percent.pak
    /opt/vivaldi/resources/vivaldi
    /opt/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin
    /etc/default/vivaldi
    /etc/cron.daily/vivaldi
    /etc/alternatives/vivaldi
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list
    /work/Audio/MusicData/Apps/Rosegarden/Files/vivaldi.rose
    /work/Audio/MusicData/Apps/Rosegarden/vivaldi.rose
    /work/Audio/MusicData/Apps/Rosegarden/Dir/common/music/vivaldi.rose
    /work/Audio/MusicData/Apps/Rosegarden/music/vivaldi.rose
    /work/Software/Vivaldi/vivaldi-stable_1.2.490.43-1_i386.deb
    /work/Gentoo/Backup/Qbx11-130707/root/.local/share/rosegarden/examples/vivaldi_op44_11_1.rg
    /work/Gentoo/Backup/Qbx11-130707/root/.local/share/rosegarden/examples/vivaldi-cs3mv2.rg
    ^Cqbx:~>#

NOTE the Ctl-C to end the process.

Looks like its been told to scan the filesystem in search of info for multimedia etc and gets lost in the process.

A bit too intrusive, in my opinion, even though every CleverDick app does it.

@Vitency:

A bit too intrusive…

from man pages: find - search for files in a directory hierarchy

did you try this?

@Vitency:

These forums are supposed to bring such issues to the attention of the developers, but they (…)

No. The forum is not a bugreport page which is visited every 5 minutes by developers.

The forum is a place to discuss bugs. If bugs are reproducible for other users, the bug should be reported
    at https://vivaldi.com/bugreport/

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.