Missing Forward gesture Opera functionality

• In the old Opera there was a very useful extra functionality added to the forward gesture: when no forward navigation is possible (button '->'is disabled), the gesture acts like "next item in list". Very useful for

• list of files (usually pictures): you may (optional) click on one of the pictures and to open next picture you don't need to return in the root folder. Instead just make 'forward' gesture to open next picture in the list.
    • pages with "<<Prev" "Next >>" buttons. Same here: forward button acts like clicking the 'next page' button. This doesn't work on all paged sites, but works in most cases and is very convenient.

This functionality is not present in any other browser including the new Opera and Vivaldi. I would be glad to know the name of this feature (if present).

• The function is called Fast Forward, and will work on some sites like a Google search results page. I expect Vivaldi will get a similar feature sooner or later.

Opera 12.17 is customisable by editing fastforward.ini. It can be useful on some forums in multi-page threads.

Opera Preferences version 2.0
    ; This file is part of the Opera browser.
    ; This file is UTF-8 encoded.

[Fast forward]
    ;First some built in types and their scores
    Link element=400
    Wand login=300
    Show image=50
    Next image=200

;Then other words and their scores.
    ;If no score is given, it defaults to 100
    ;If score is 100 or more, Opera will allow
    ;the word or words to also only be the start or end
    ;word of the whole link text

;Special ones
    "->"
    "- >" 
    etc.

• Thanks for the answer. I needed this name to search for it in the Firefox and Chrome plugins for mouse gestures. Still not sure if they will work with the same gesture as 'history forward'.
    These little things make transfer from Opera to other browser to be so hard.

• The mouse gesture for Fast Forward works as expected in Google Search results, but not in most other pages I have tried. I think we need something akin to fastforward.ini to configure how it behaves on other sites like forums or when browsing local folders.

History Forward and Fast Forward are different commands, and have different gestures.

Likewise with History Back, and History Rewind.

• In the old Opera I use this feature with the same gesture as 'history forward'. Try it! Never used the gesture for fast forward and even don't know it. I thought this is used when multiple 'back's are used to return to last 'forward' after that.

• @colombino:

In the old Opera I use this feature with the same gesture as 'history forward'. Try it! Never used the gesture for fast forward and even don't know it. I thought this is used when multiple 'back's are used to return to last 'forward' after that.

Opera 12.17 can "pipe" commands. The command for GestureRight is

Forward | Fast forward

That means, "If Forward cannot be done, then do Fast Forward." It's a very useful feature, but not yet available in Vivaldi. For GestureDown in Opera I have this:

Open link in background page | Go to end | New page

That means: "If over a link, open it in the background; if not, go to the bottom of the current page; and if already at the bottom of the current page, open a new tab."

Vivaldi has commands like "Clone Tab in Background, or, if over a link open the link in the background" but there's no option to edit the second part of the command.

• Thank you alot! Very useful answer. It's not very common.
    Actually this is not 'pipe' for me, this is logical OR (|| in C-like languages).
    Also I use version 12.14, not 12.17. I hope all you told for 12.17 will work for 12.14 too. But this is not important, because my version of Opera just works as expected and as desirable.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.