src="https://update.vivaldi.com/stats/piwik.php?idsite=1&rec=1&bots=1" style="border:0;" alt=""

Destiny of MyOpera's Webmail Interface

• Hi, Just wondering.... when MyOpera finally closes in March, what will be the fate of the webmail interface? It seems a shame to let a nice design like that go to waste. I've always liked it. If it could be adapted for vivaldi.net somehow (as an alternate interface) that would be great. :) If not, I wonder if Opera is planning on letting FastMail use it for their own service.

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastmail.fm

According to the Wikipedia article, Opera and Fastmail are no longer together as a company. I believe that Fastmail provides the myopera e-mail and will continue to do so until the closure. I get the impression from being a user of both services, and from reading the article, that the webmail interface was Fastmail's anyway, and the myopera relationship was temporary.

The interface in my Fastmail account is the same one as from myopera. Fastmail works great, but the old free accounts are absolutely worthless, and the paid accounts are MUCH more expensive than comparable providers.

• The FastMail interface is pretty similar to My Opera Mail.

• Thanks for the responses.

Just to be clear, I was interested in the 'theme' or skin. I know the interface itself is very similar to FM's functionally (on the surface), but MyOpera's interface sports a more colorful theme. IMO it's much more pleasing to the eye than the rather bland, blue FM theme(s). (Why are default interfaces always loaded with blue?) So, precisely because they are so similar, I thought FM might natually want to take the MyOpera one and adapt it for their own service. But they haven't done so so far and have said nothing about ever doing so. :(

And if that's the case (i.e. if FM doesn't want it for whatever strange reason), it would be a shame to see it just dumped. And what would be more appropriate than that vivaldi.net (try to) adapt it for their own webmail? :)

That's all. I was just curious.

• My gut feeling is that most people don't really care about themes or skins for email. I remember back in the mid to late 90's we were constantly playing around with stationery and skins for our email. Outlook offered all sorts of templates as did other email programs (and of course you could make your own and I did with Netscape mail). Then much of that disappeared and I think that with it most people began to think it superfluous. I want reliable email… not necessarily "fancy" or "pretty" or "decorative". Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's my guess that most of us don't care about email themes and skins and it's probably one of the reasons programs like incredible mail never really grew (aside from the fact that it's a breeding ground for viruses). Just a guess, mind you.

• I do care about themes :) I think products should be both reliable and pretty to be considered as high quality.

• @James:

My gut feeling is that most people don't really care about themes or skins for email. …

I guess your´re right. Cant´t imagine that this is important for most users. I, for example, never use the providers interface. Additionally to MyOpera I have accounts at t-online and vodafone but Í´ve never used their interfaces, although they are clear and well-structured.

I use M2 (Opera Mail) as client and thats enough. Btw. the program itself does not matter - what matters is yet, you have all accounts well together in a client and have not to call the websites of the providers individually.

• @Ice007:

what matters is yet, you have all accounts well together in a client and have not to call the websites of the providers individually.

Ice007, can you elaborate on the above? Thanks.

• He is referring to IMAP or POP :-)

• Ah… got it.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.