Closing last tab in a window broken again

• Using 1.2.490.3 (Developer Build) (64-bit) on OSX 10.11.4. If I open a new window, and then open a few tabs in that window, then close those tabs (using either CMD+W or clicking on the X), the last tab will not close with the whole window until I click on an area that is NOT the "X" of the tab, but is still in the tab bar OR if I trigger a navigation event (like clicking a link on the page displayed in the tab). Closing the window by using the "X" on the window always works.

• This bug keeps coming, it's so frustrating. I think it's been here for the last couple of snapshots.

1. You start Vivaldi.
    2. You create a few tabs.
    3. You start closing them (either using the mouse or by CMD+W).
    4. The last=first tab and the application window unexpectedly stays open, regardless what you do (unless you close the main window using the window close widget).
    5. At this last-standing tab, once you enter an URL (either type in the URL field and press enter or by any other way) the application window unexpectedly closes.

• The proper behaviour IMO would be:

• close last tab
    • show speed dial

@hosjenken:

The proper behaviour IMO would be:

• close last tab
    • show speed dial

Under your Tab Features settings, is "Always Keep Last Tab" checked?

• using 1.3.501.6 (Developer Build) (64-bit) on OS X 10.10.5

Exact same behavior as OP. Cmd-W does not close last tab (i.e. the window itself) until you click any part of the tab other than the close tab X itself. Clicking the tab's X close icon does not close the tab either regardless of whether Cmd-W was attempted first. Closing all but the last tab with Cmd-W but then closing the window itself using OS's the top-left-most close window button does close it on first attempt.

"Always Keep Last Tab" not selected, but tried enabling, reloading, and disabling it again with no resolution.

Is there an easy way to post tab and theme settings?

• Version: 1.2.490.39 () (64-bit)

I have the Always Keep Last Tab disabled (the behaviour seems to be correct if enabled).

For me the following steps reliably reproduce the issue.

[ol]

• Launch Vivaldi.
    • Open a second tab (keyboard shortcut or via mouse - makes no difference).
    • Try to close both tabs (keyboard shortcut or via mouse - makes no difference).
      [/ol]

The first tab will close and as the others are reporting the last tab will not result in the window disappearing.

Possibly related but I've never managed to get the developer tools window to close using ⌘W either.

• I can confirm that the bug came back: closing the last tab does not close window.

CMD+N to open a new browser window; if you don't create any new tab besides the default one, CMD+W will close the tab as well as the window. However, if you CMD+T to create new tabs, CMD+W will NOT be able to close the last tab. But under this scenario, the last tab is not "live" either, it will be closed if you perform some other operation, for example, CMD+T again to create a new tab, then the previous last tab will be closed.

Step to reproduce:
    (Scenario 1)
    1. CMD+N to create a new window(Window-A)
    2. In the default tab (Tab-A) in Window-A, navigate to any web site, e.g., www.google.com.
    3. CMD+W
    4. Verify Tab-A is closed AND Window-A is closed.

(Scenario 2)
    1. CMD+N to create a new window(Window-A)
    2. In the default tab (Tab-A) in Window-A, navigate to any web site, e.g., www.google.com.
    3. CMD+T to open a new tab (Tab-B)
    4. While on Tab-B, hit CMD+W. Verify Tab-B is closed.
    5. Now focus should be on Tab-A.
    6. CMD+W. Verify Tab-A is NOT closed. Verify Window-A is NOT closed.
    7. CMD+T to create another tab. Verify Tab-A is now closed as soon as the new tab is created. Window-A is NOT closed.

@Vivaldi, please fix this bug!

• @vivaldi, Can we get some updates on this? Is this added to your bug backlog? Is it a behavior change? Or is it just gonna be left unattended?

To me this is clearly a bug. I can confirm it's working in 1.1.453.47, but ever since 1.2 it's broken. Yes I downgraded to 1.1 because of this bug.

Waited patiently for the latest snapshot but disappointed to find out it's still not addressed. Vivaldi seems to be pushing so hard on new features, and marking the browser fancy and shiny with all the coloring stuff, but it's all these details that makes or breaks a software.

Btw, pinch zooming stopped working since 1.2 too. It works in 1.1.453.47.

Please. Some updates on this.

They are working heavily on tab behavior, and made some fixes in version 1.3.519.25 (Developer Build). Are you updated to it?

• Thanks Ayespy for the reply. I tried 1.3.519.25 as soon as I saw it's available. I can confirm the bug (as described in the thread) still happens.

And you're on Mac. Yup, you are the guys with that problem. Hope the developers can iron it out soon…

• Before 1.3.519.25 came out today, I did verify and was able to reproduce the exact same bug on Windows. I'll test 1.3.519.25 in Windows later today.

• @chill8:

I can confirm that the bug came back: closing the last tab does not close window.

CMD+N to open a new browser window; if you don't create any new tab besides the default one, CMD+W will close the tab as well as the window. However, if you CMD+T to create new tabs, CMD+W will NOT be able to close the last tab.

Confirmed with Win 10 Pro and Vivaldi 1.3.519.25 (Developer Build) (64-bit).
    Tools/Settings/Tabs "Don't Close Window with Last Tab" NOT activated.

With one window open,

• Open a second window (Ctrl-N) [Opens with SpeedDial Tab] - now Ctrl-W will close this (second) window.
    • Open a second window (Ctrl-N) [Opens with SpeedDial Tab]; Open a second tab in this window (Ctrl-T) - now Ctrl-W will close the second tab, but Ctrl-W again does not close this (second) Window.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.