Where is the mail panel?

• If you press F4 you can't add the mail panel, why is this? I really liked that feature in Opera 12 and it was the main reason why I was probably going to use Vivaldi.

• The mail client will be included when its ready.

there was mail panel in the early snapshot with a message "mail is not available for technical preview"
    according to ruario interview the mail client will be introduce before the year is out.

source: https://opensource.com/life/16/4/young-vivaldi-browser-taking-its-cues-community

• This is most excellent news, for the year is almost over!!

+1 for mail

• @lamarca:

"according to ruario interview the mail client will be introduce before the year is out.

source: https://opensource.com/life/16/4/young-vivaldi-browser-taking-its-cues-community

Doesn't look like this will be true anymore, right? How about Q1 2017 for sync/mail?

Looking at the state of the email client as I test it daily, I cannot conceive of how it could reach a state that would permit it to be released this year.

• @Ayespy:

Looking at the state of the email client as I test it daily, I cannot conceive of how it could reach a state that would permit it to be released this year.

Bad news. The mail client is overdue. I would have supposed that a mail client is not that difficult to program as all the standards were laid down ages ago and there are already dozens of independent mail clients.

• Vivaldi Translator

@ghpy:

I would have supposed that a mail client is not that difficult to program as all the standards were laid down ages ago and there are already dozens of independent mail clients.

The mail client is not only about implementation of transfer protocols ;)
    If You think so - why not to use Telnet? ;) I suppose You will spot the difference :P
    It's like saying "How complicated is to build a new car? There are thousands of car companies and everyone knows how combustion engine is built"

Arguably, a mail client is technically as difficult to build as a browser, if not more so.

• @ghpy:

Bad news. The mail client is overdue. I would have supposed that a mail client is not that difficult to program as all the standards were laid down ages ago and there are already dozens of independent mail clients.

#1 Vivaldi is not build from scratch like Opera Presto was, that gives less freedom and some complications when the engine is upgraded upstream, but at the same time it's an huge work already done.

The email client needs to be coded from scratch given no other browser (except Opera) includes it. And the old M2 code belongs to Opera (the company)

#2 A browser that has some crashes, or some unexpected behavior on few websites is mostly an annoyance.

An email client that sends an email to the wrong destination or that deletes a folder on your mail server could be a drama.

So the testing phase must be taken to the next level.

• @Ayespy:

Arguably, a mail client is technically as difficult to build as a browser, if not more so.

Thats only true if you get the complete browser engine for free B)

These days, that's a given.

• I wonder why so many email clients appearing on Android market?
    Do they have much larger dev teams, or more careless about user data? ;)

• @vladimyr Probably because the original android is open source, and I believe that includes a mail app already, which may make it easier to build a new one rather than starting from scratch. There may also be some that just use a web wrapper.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.