[Feedback / Suggest] Open in new (background) Tab behavoir and why it should be better adjustable.

• Hi everyone. I searched for ways to tweak the 'open new tab' behavior in Vivaldi and learned that except the 4 combos (middle-click on the link, ctrl+click on the link, context-menu action "Open in background tab", using mouse gestures) there are no other ways to adjust how to open tabs in that matter. I'm used to open multiple tabs in the background and work through them later on. While it is okay that there are actually four ways to do this, chrome, opera and firefox doing this all by default when clicking 'open in new tab' without having to fiddle with alternate context menü options, mouse gestures or other combo mumbo jumbo. I dare to say this seemingly trivial 'problem' has been possibly underestimated and how deterring it could be for possible new users, without offering options to adjust this to personal preference. And this is the thing: It feels like slowing my personal 'browsingflow' from a 2016’s Formula One race car to a 1960’s Volkswagen Bug, which I obviously dislike a lot. I actually tried to to deal with it for a week or so; 'You get used to it' - that's what I thought. I didn't. I switched back to chrome just because of this. As a browser-purist, I also have no intention to work my way around this through a addon or anything else. While I know that it is a personal preference and other users might be super happy with the behavior as it is right now, I don't see any reason why not to implement the option to adjust it in the browser settings to your own personal liking. Something like: [ul] [li]○ 'always focus new tab (default)'[/li] [li]● 'always open new tab as background tab'[/li] [/ul] That would actually make the extra context-menu action redundant and don't clog the context menu (which is always a good thing). By the way, speaking of context-menu actions: Personally I think it is inconsistent, not to group the context-menu actions by their purpose (see attached picture). [attachment=3619]Vivaldi.jpg[/attachment] Of course I could use middle mouse button or other combos for it. I simply don't want to / I can't get used to it. And I assume so do others too, deinstalling within minutes and never look at this great browser again and don't let you know about it. I know a bunch that did exactly that. :) At this point I have to say I really like Vivaldi and it's features. The browsers offers so much that I really enjoy, that it seems absurd that I'm not using it as my main browser, just because of this tab thingy. People hardly change their habits. But that's how it is. Attachments: [img]https://forum.vivaldi.net/uploads/attachments/81363/Vivaldi.jpg[/img]

• @Rumblecrumple:

I simply don't want to

That's all we should know

• @Rumblecrumple:

Of course I could use middle mouse button or other combos for it. I simply don't want to / I can't get used to it.

I respect your POV but still don't get what's wrong in middle button.

I use it since the day it was introduced in opera and it does its job really well.

Anyway swapping the middle and left button functionality can make sense for people provided by a two button only trackpads

• I assigned GestureDown to Clone Tab in Background / Open Link in Background Tab.

That makes it very easy to open multiple links in the background. Later, maybe we will get a Links Panel.

Of course an option to choose would be optimum, though perhaps not trivial to code.

To put the issue in context, I think the flood of interest from users of Chrome and Firefox is a bit unexpected. Jon's stated aim starting out was to make a comfortable home for refugees from Olde Opera (which, if I'm not mistaken, introduced the "open link in new tab" feature), and in that browser, people are used to getting instant focus on the new tab. It was that way for a couple of decades, and for my part, the fact that Chrome and others corrupted the function to hide the new tab from me in the background, and make me hunt for it to read it, really pissed me off. It was so uncomfortable, that I began to avoid using the function, since I could not avoid using a "modern" browser. At least in Vivaldi, one has the choice - focus new tab or open in background. In these "modern" browsers that corrupted the function, you are denied the option to focus new tab.

So, yes, an option would be ideal. But I think it is not random or thoughtless that the default in Vivaldi is the way it is. It was aimed at the specific public that Vivaldi itself was aimed at.

• Thanks for your responses so far! I expected just something like the first one.

And as you all mentioned, there is nothing wrong with the combos / middle click and so forth. I am aware that this is a pure personal preference thing.

Unlike Ayespy who explained why he prefers the current default focus method, I did arrange myself at the time back then with the 'corrupted function' and got used to it over years now. Like he can't stand the corrupted method, I can't stand the uncorrupted. ;)

I didn't meant trivial problem / issue in terms of coding complexity - I meant it in terms of handling the browser for the (unexpected) audience coming from other browsers.
    I meant it like: It might be trivial for you (that are happy with it as it is), that this feature, could prevent users to switch to Vivaldi.
    I'm not a native english speaking person, my apologies if that was unclear.

Anyway - While I'm happy that Vivaldi gets more attention then initially expected and my issue originates from the fact that I'm not in the initial targeted usergroup (which I didn't know), I still would appreciate the possibility to adjust that to my liking, whereas I now can better understand why this might be not a thing in the near future / at all.
    So thanks for clearing that up for me.

Have a great time with Vivaldi further on!

• @Rumblecrumple:

Unlike Ayespy who explained why he prefers the current default focus method, I did arrange myself at the time back then with the 'corrupted function' and got used to it over years now. Like he can't stand the corrupted method, I can't stand the uncorrupted. ;)

In my case, I learned to use Mouse Gestures and (now that they are configurable) I can configure the way I prefer UNTIL the configuration option becomes available - I do believe it will (When It's Ready).

@Rumblecrumple:

I didn't meant trivial problem / issue in terms of coding complexity - I meant it in terms of handling the browser for the (unexpected) audience coming from other browsers.
    I meant it like: It might be trivial for you (that are happy with it as it is), that this feature, could prevent users to switch to Vivaldi.
    I'm not a native english speaking person, my apologies if that was unclear.

Not unclear at all. Your English is fine.

@Rumblecrumple:

Anyway - While I'm happy that Vivaldi gets more attention then initially expected and my issue originates from the fact that I'm not in the initial targeted usergroup (which I didn't know), I still would appreciate the possibility to adjust that to my liking, whereas I now can better understand why this might be not a thing in the near future / at all.
    So thanks for clearing that up for me.

Have a great time with Vivaldi further on!

Actually, I think someone who wants to be able to configure Vivaldi to work THEY want is now the target Group B)
    From Vivaldi.com

Powerful and Personal

However, it can't be done all at once.
    You could always keep an eye on the latest Vivaldi Snapshots until it is "good enough" for you.

• Hi Everyone

I just started using Vivaldi, having used Firefox exclusively for many years. Ars Technica recommended Vivaldi for those users looking for a more customisable experience with less reliance on addons, so I thought I would try Vivaldi out.

Apart from having some trouble getting chrome extensions to run properly, i've mostly been able to replicate my firefox preferences in style, layout and functionality in vivaldi. All that is except for the behaviour when right clicking a link and selecting open in new tab.

Like the OP, I am used to the default behaviour being that the focus stays on the tab I am on, and opens the new tab in the background. This is my preferred behaviour for browsing. I have found it very jarring having the focus dragged to the new tab each time and having to click back on the tab I was on.

Until I read this thread, I actually didn't even notice the "open in background tab" option in the menu - thats how used I am to just right clicking and hitting the top option to open a new tab.So for the moment I will be using that instead to achieve what I want.

That said, I would still like to lobby for the Vivaldi team to add the OP suggested option into the settings to change the default behaviour for new tabs to user preference and remove the menu bloat. Everything else in vivaldi appears customisable this way, so it was disappointing for me to hunt through the menus and realise this option wasn't there anywhere. Please consider adding this option in a future build as a more seamless solution to fit users of both worlds.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Mordd

• As a user of original Opera for over 10 years right-clicking to opening tabs in background I had few problems adjusting to new Opera Blink tab handling. I can't adjust to horisontal tab bar limitations of new Opera, and are now trying to adopt to Vivaldi since Opera 12.17 is struggling with todays webpages.
    When Vivaldi got an option for background tabs by using right-click mouse menues it improved things, but I frequently miss and hit the option "Open in new window". Then I have to be very careful and close the right window, to avoid closing the window with all my open tabs.

Please add more settings for default new tab handling, or separate the tab/window-options better like original Opera did (divider line between the options)

• I, like others here, had also been wondering how to open new tabs in the background from links. It is also how I work. I had also not noticed (until I read this thread) that there is an option in the right-click context menu to "open link in background tab".

But seeing Vivaldi is quite customisable, and the option exists in the context menu, I don't think it would be very difficult to have a default option setting for this? It would just add that cherry on the top for me and make it work even more smoothly.

For now I'll try retrain my click to select the 3rd option from the top. I'm really enjoying using Vivaldi though!

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.