Can't even start. Major bug.

• Hi, I've been using Vivaldi for at least 5 months, yes the previous beta versions we're like a walk to the bug museum but at least I could use the browser like any other browser. Since I updated Vivaldi to 1.1, EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the .exe, it starts but nothing is ever brought to screen. I can see the miniature peek in the taskbar as a totally crammed, tiny window but nothing more. My first solution was to right click the icon on the taskbar and then select "Open a new window", close the first window and then start using the second. It happens whenever I close Vivaldi and run it again, no matter if I was working with it all day long or just rebooted, it was always the same. My second and final solution? Uninstall Vivaldi. You might say "Wow, the solution is as easy as opening a new window and that's it"... Yeah but then I'd be losing all my tabs which is something I'm not willing to do every time I need to close my PC. I'm using Windows 10, if that helps?

Have you tried cleaning your profile?

• I too have this problem. Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Vivaldi 1.2.490.43 64-bit. I've had this problem since last (one before current one) stable release. Please help!

• Does this happen when you switch to sleep mode, or close your notebook screen, and then log back into your Windows profile?

I know that causes a lot of pain to many programs…

@mogarr:

I too have this problem. Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Vivaldi 1.2.490.43 64-bit. I've had this problem since last (one before current one) stable release. Please help!

Have you tried cleaning your profile?

• Clean what profile, there is more than one profile, windows 10, vivaldi ?? Also if it is a vivaldi profile and you can't start vivaldi how would you get to that profile.

I my case, I cannot launch vivaldi either from the shortcut or the .exe file in the users directory, however if I click a link, vivaldi executes (vivaldi is set as default browser) minus the tabs of course.

I have removed and recreated shortcut, and have also reinstalled latest version of vivaldi. Neither of these have helped, the same result -> 'no to a vivaldi launch, but vivaldi executes minus tabs when link click' result

So again what profile to look at, or does this description indicate a differing solution??

@pazl:

clean what profile, there is more than one profile, windows 10, vivaldi ??

In Windows, the profile is by default found at Users/(you)/appdata/local/vivaldi/user data/Default. You rename the Default folder when Vivaldi is closed, and it creates a new Default folder when you open it again. All of your settings, vital data, etc. is in the old renamed folder, so it opens as though you were a brand new user, but the bug or corrupted file is ALSO in the old renamed folder, so the browser usually functions correctly. If so, you turn it off again and move all of your vital data from the old folder to the new one, re-set your settings, and THEN, if you had any extensions, you re-install each one, one at a time, testing for proper function after each one, and if the problem was caused by an extension, this will reveal that fact. If so, uninstall the extension and don't install it again, and all should be well.

• Wow, I kept editing mu original post, and hadn't noticed that you had already replied. You response was right on the button, Vivaldi launches again, and I am now going through Default.old and pulling the tabs and other info to the new Default folder, Of course being a retired programmer those diagnostic question boil up :-) what corrupted the Default file in the first place ??

Of course retired programmers sit around the virtual pickle barrel and blah blah blah :-) Thanks

• @pazl:

…. Of course being a retired programmer those diagnostic question boil up :-) what corrupted the Default file in the first place ?? Of course retired programmers sit around the virtual pickle barrel and blah blah blah :-) Thanks

With a browser, there are a lot of disk read/writes going on constantly back and forth from the browser residing in memory, as well as other things going on simultaneously in the system. Anything from a power spike to cosmic rays (!) to some peculiar timing hiccups in coded operations that inadvertently interrupt or confound other operations underway on the system can cause a bit/byte error or a partially-written file fragment to be stored to disk. In the wrong place in the disk file(s), these can hang a program when it restarts and tries to properly reload from the disk files to memory. Sometimes the cause may be timing races or failed register-clearing operations, etc due to coding issues in the program - these tend to be recurring for other users as well, though they may happen only rarely. Other times, there are odd conflicts with other software on a given user's system running in the background. And at still other times, the cause is truly random. The key, of course, is to parse out what commonality lies in multiple, independent failures and figure out the causes… and that, as you know from your programming days, can take a lot of time and effort.

• <<begins gazing="" at="" her="" navel="">></begins>

I wonder why soooooooooooooooo many new V users / new forum members don't think to use Search before writing a brand new post in a brand new thread, for a topic that has already been asked sooooooooooooo many times, & answered soooooooooooooooooo many times, in all these other posts.

[attachment=4146]VSearch_20160728_17:55:59.png[/attachment]

<<stops gazing="" at="" her="" navel="">></stops>

…....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.