Bookmarks settings not available

• With the latest version the bookmarks section of Settings is no longer accessible from the menu at the side (or anywhere else that I can find). Click on Bookmarks and nothing happens. Also, and the reason I wanted to get at bookmark setting, the latest build has opening bookmarks in the current tab as a default, but I want to open a bookmark in a new tab, and I'm sure I was doing this from the bookmarks bar in the previous version. Vivaldi 1.2.479.8 (Developer Build) (64-bit) Revision 5d484720b7ea51fccd35b8f9580e934136d87851 OS Windows

@dasym:

With the latest version the bookmarks section of Settings is no longer accessible from the menu at the side (or anywhere else that I can find). Click on Bookmarks and nothing happens.

Also, and the reason I wanted to get at bookmark setting, the latest build has opening bookmarks in the current tab as a default, but I want to open a bookmark in a new tab, and I'm sure I was doing this from the bookmarks bar in the previous version.

Vivaldi 1.2.479.8 (Developer Build) (64-bit)
    Revision 5d484720b7ea51fccd35b8f9580e934136d87851
    OS Windows

What "menu at the side" are you speaking of? The setting you want is at Vivaldi Menu/Tools/Settings/Bookmarks.

• Yes, that's what I mean. I choose Vivaldi Menu/Tools/Settings then click on Bookmarks in the list down the left that appears. Nothing happens. Some funny things happen with the other settings items as well - sometimes they bring up the correct options, other times they don't.

@dasym:

With the latest version the bookmarks section of Settings is no longer accessible from the menu at the side (or anywhere else ….

what happens if you type on the address bar?

vivaldi://bookmarks

@dasym:

Yes, that's what I mean. I choose Vivaldi Menu/Tools/Settings then click on Bookmarks in the list down the left that appears. Nothing happens. Some funny things happen with the other settings items as well - sometimes they bring up the correct options, other times they don't.

It appears your profile may have gotten corrupted. Do you know what to do about that?

• @lamarca:

@dasym:

With the latest version the bookmarks section of Settings is no longer accessible from the menu at the side (or anywhere else ….

what happens if you type on the address bar?

vivaldi://bookmarks

That brings up my bookmarks, but the problem I have is with the bookmark settings.

• @Ayespy:

@dasym:

Yes, that's what I mean. I choose Vivaldi Menu/Tools/Settings then click on Bookmarks in the list down the left that appears. Nothing happens. Some funny things happen with the other settings items as well - sometimes they bring up the correct options, other times they don't.

It appears your profile may have gotten corrupted. Do you know what to do about that?

Thanks for that. I renamed the profile folder and recovered it from a backup and it's now working properly.

• interesting, because I've the same problem (and some others also, see actual blog news (search for my username))

@dasym:

Also, and the reason I wanted to get at bookmark setting, the latest build has opening bookmarks in the current tab as a default, but I want to open a bookmark in a new tab, and I'm sure I was doing this from the bookmarks bar in the previous version.

is this also fixed, when you deleted your profile?

• @derDay:

interesting, because I've the same problem (and some others also, see actual blog news (search for my username))

@dasym:

is this also fixed, when you deleted your profile?

New tab from bookmarks is working for me now after I regained access to the setting for it.

• @Ayespy:

It appears your profile may have gotten corrupted.

With respect, whilst this might apply for some people, it's not a universal root cause for this now-much reported problem in latest SS of Settings - Bookmarks breaking (i realise you never claimed nor intimated it might be universal, but i'm clarifying here for others]. I extensively tested this as advised in the blog https://vivaldi.net/en-US/teamblog/114-snapshot-1-2-479-8-more-keyboard-shortcuts-and-a-small-update-to-1-1 :

"Settings have gone gaga [cannot display [i]Bookmarks section at all, nor Display All, then after viewing other sections they begin to randomly intermix]."

"Well, after hours of further testing, in Mint KDE & Kubuntu, i'm a bit shocked to have discovered that my Bookmarks file, in my Profile, is somehow the "cause" of the weird behaviour noted earlier in Settings. When i upgraded my main Mint OS's V many hours ago this morning, via normal repository Update Manager, that triggered the weird Settings behaviour. When i reproduced that process in my Mint Testbed VM, the identical fault occurred. When i installed V into my new Kubuntu VM [never had V in it b4], with therefore a clean Profile, Settings was fine. If i then replaced that Kubuntu's Profile's clean Bookmarks file with my real one, Settings went gaga. Back in my Mint Testbed VM, i replaced my real Bookmarks file with a copy of Kubuntu's clean file… & thereafter its Settings behaved well… but at the unacceptable price of losing my thousands of bookmarks. This is crazy; how could moving from chromium 50 to 51 do this? I hope the Devs fix the underlying root cause ASAP."

This afternoon i closed the logical loop, & proved what yesterday i'd only strongly suspected… that the root cause of my observed defects in latest SS were/are NOT due to my profile being damaged (including, thank goodness, my Bookmarks file). Today i proved this simply by downgrading my Mint Testbed VM's V from latest, back to 1.2.470.11, whilst retaining my same profile folders & files. Voila - once again Settings fully behaves, & also as a fillip i can again open bookmarks in background from Panel with middle-click, AND actually save new bookmarks again via the address bar rhs icon [function is dead for latest Linux Deb SS].

So, logically, at least some of the users who also experienced the same symptom as me wrt gaga Settings - Bookmarks, can be comforted that it's something broken by Chromium 51 rather than their profile becoming corrupted. Over to you, Devs.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.