Sync on cloud using dropbox or similar service

• Hello, I'm loving Vivaldi so far but it's a bit annoying to not have extensions, bookmarks and settings not synced across computers at work and home. Has anyone tried syncing these via services like Dropbox? If so, do you sync the entire Vivaldi folder or have specific folders that you sync? The Vivaldi folder is 500MB+, so it would great if I could sync just the specific items... but not sure if I'll miss something by doing that if there are dependencies in folders that are not obviously named (i.e. extensions, bookmarks, etc.)

User The_Solutor has done it successfully by installing a standalone version to his DropBox folder. Another user said he tried that and it caused duplicate data files.

• @blissfool:

Hello, I'm loving Vivaldi so far but it's a bit annoying to not have extensions, bookmarks and settings not synced across computers at work and home. Has anyone tried syncing these via services like Dropbox? If so, do you sync the entire Vivaldi folder or have specific folders that you sync? The Vivaldi folder is 500MB+, so it would great if I could sync just the specific items… but not sure if I'll miss something by doing that if there are dependencies in folders that are not obviously named (i.e. extensions, bookmarks, etc.)

The idea is to use, not Drobox or whatever as they are, but through Clouddrive that can mount a remote VHD file as a real local HDD. The virtual HDD appears exactly like a real HDD, can be formatted, partitioned, mirrored with other disks placed on any other cloud service, it will be cached locally for spped, and last but not least can be encrypted making the use of the cloud services less worrying.

Then just use the switch –user-sata-dir to place there the whole directory or use Vivaldi]s profile in the stock location and sync just the relevant files using the Powertoys or a similar app.

There can be a lot of variations. Keep in mind that the Windows version has the passwords and the extensions are tied whit the UUID, so a real sync can be possible only for domain users which shares the same UUID.

In linux there shouldn't be any problem.

That are the basics but this "ghetto" sync can be implemented in many ways, It's just mater of fantasy, skill and time spent in testing it.

• Thank you for that info. That sounds more work than I would like to do for the amount of things that I want to sync. Haha.
    Cheers!

• Hey The_Solutor,

Would you mind elaborating on a couple of things?

1. What do you mean "through Clouddrive that can mount a remote VHD file". Why would you use a .vhd?
    2. When you say that the Windows version is tied to the UUID, you mean the user SID, the drive UUID or … ?

Thanks!

• @The_Solutor:

That are the basics but this "ghetto" sync can be implemented in many ways, It's just mater of fantasy, skill and time spent in testing it.

I was thinking about using a git repo because of merging capabilities.
    But I have no idea if simple merging is enough to keep it working
    Is bookmarks file format common with Chrome? (I ask because I don't use Chrome)

@The_Solutor:

Keep in mind that the Windows version has the passwords and the extensions are tied whit the UUID, so a real sync can be possible only for domain users which shares the same UUID.

Which GUID did You mean? :P

• Hi, I checked Unison today on Linux with Dropbox.
    It is available for all platforms.
    I sync the whole "default" directory and settings, bookmarks, passwords are working.
    It seams even extensions are working, have to check later.
    Passwords are may not work on Windows but cant test on my systems.
    Make sure you backup your default directory.

[attachment=4675]unison.gif[/attachment]

http://unison-binaries.inria.fr/

Cheers, mib
    EDIT: These attached pictures look lousy. :/
    EDIT2: Change format to .gif, not perfect but better than .png or .jpg.
    Attachments:

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.