Content settings and advanced privacy settings

• With all the options available, where are the standard chromium content settings, to control cookies, plugins etc? Will you also being adding advanced privacy settings? Such as built in tracking blocking, HTTPS everywhere functionality, WebRTC IP leak protection etc? I also can't find an option to change the destination of the new tab button...to a page of my choosing. Also, the speed dial pages that come included all have nice icons instead of a thumbnail that appears when one adds a custom one. Is there an option to specify the icon that appears so one can make it look clean rather than having messy looking thumbnails? Thanks!

@hereforthecakes:

With all the options available, where are the standard chromium content settings, to control cookies, plugins etc?

Will you also being adding advanced privacy settings? Such as built in tracking blocking, HTTPS everywhere functionality, WebRTC IP leak protection etc?

I also can't find an option to change the destination of the new tab button…to a page of my choosing. Also, the speed dial pages that come included all have nice icons instead of a thumbnail that appears when one adds a custom one. Is there an option to specify the icon that appears so one can make it look clean rather than having messy looking thumbnails?

Thanks!

The standard Chromium Content items are not yet in the Vivaldi UI. They will be. The UI part of it has to be written from scratch. For now, you can find the content settings at chrome://settings/search#content
    Other security and privacy settings can be found at chrome://settings/search#pass

Vivaldi cannot yet offer you the option to open new tabs in other than the Speed Dial interface. I think there's a Chrome extension that can do it.

There is a hack to change the Speed Dial thumbnails, but I don't know it. It is a hack, and you can search the forum using the search option that drops down from the "Forum" button up top, to find it. I personally don't do hacks.

• @hereforthecakes:

… WebRTC IP leak protection ...?

There are older threads in our fora on this general topic & certainly including the desire / need for V to block the egregious chromium WebRTC IP leak.. & i'm one of those who have whinged about that fault several times before. Only a couple of days ago i was re-reminded of this annoyance in V [& other but not all chromium browsers] when i was mucking about with my old Pale Moon x64 installation [coz i discovered it now has an endorsed PPA with which i can obviate the hitherto need to manually download & install its updates; thus in this regard it's now as convenient for me as V] – anyway coz i was launching PM [my default daily browser is V, & has been so since early last year] i rediscovered that it nicely blocks the WebRTC leak (i mean, i've known that for ages, but given PM is not my daily browser, this fact wasn't top of mind]:

[attachment=3424]PaleMoonWebRTC_20160429_13:24:36.png[/attachment]

Conversely sadly Vivaldi:

[attachment=3425]VivaldiWebRTC_20160429_13:23:23.png[/attachment]

And Slimjet PROVES that chromium-browsers CAN block WebRTC:

[attachment=3426]SlimjetWebRTC_20160429_13:38:48.png[/attachment]

I do hope that Vivaldi gains this protection, like Slimjet & non-chromium browsers, asap.

Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE.
    Attachments:

• @Ayespy Yeah, I feel the same way about hacks. Certainly when it comes to a browser that prides itself on being so customizable, having an option not to change the default new tab page and or the thumbnails of the start page icons is extremely odd. Especially given how prominent these features are.

@Steffie With all the options given and all recent publicity given to increased privacy. I would have thought Vivaldi would come with such an option OTB. That and more options to control a users privacy, similar to what Firefox gives users.

• @Steffie:

@hereforthecakes:

… WebRTC IP leak protection ...?

manually download & install its updates; thus in this regard it's now as convenient for me as V] – anyway coz i was launching PM [my default daily browser is V, & has been so since early last year] i rediscovered that it nicely blocks the WebRTC leak (i mean, i've known that for ages, but given PM is not my daily browser, this fact wasn't top of mind]:

Pale Moon has no WebRTC, so it's easy for it to block the leak. :P

• Teehee, fair comment, looks like i over-egged the pudding there a bit. However, my more overarching point was/is that if my daily default browser was PM, i'd not be divulging IP info… if my daily default browser was SJ [which is chromium-based], i'd not be divulging IP info… but coz my daily default browser is V, i am divulging IP info via WebRTC. Until i discovered that SJ can/does block it i'd assumed that chromium innately couldn't be secured in this regard, but SJ proves it can be done… hence i want my precious V to also do it.

BTW, another commendable capability of SJ that i also want V to do, is that it does already also block HTML5 Canvas Fingerprinting. Pls Devs, give us these two important security/privacy features in V.

@hereforthecakes:

@Ayespy Yeah, I feel the same way about hacks. Certainly when it comes to a browser that prides itself on being so customizable, having an option not to change the default new tab page and or the thumbnails of the start page icons is extremely odd. Especially given how prominent these features are.

@Steffie With all the options given and all recent publicity given to increased privacy. I would have thought Vivaldi would come with such an option OTB. That and more options to control a users privacy, similar to what Firefox gives users.

I don't fault what you say. I think you just envision Vivaldi as a MUCH more mature project than it is. It's in its infancy yet.

• A few questions about security and I apologize in advance if I am posting in the wrong area.

1. Is there a way to remove the list of pages using persistent storage either by individual selection or selection of them all, as was possible with older versions Opera up to 12.17 before it became a Chrome clone? The same applies to cookies since there is presently only an option to remove them all.

2. In addition, will it ever be possible to delete the cache as was possible with the old Opera? Ex: Tools-Preference-History- (Memory cache, Disk Cache or both)

3. Finally, what was beautiful feature about the old Opera, was when "Delete Private Data" was selected, the items were truly deleted which was proven by the fact that any opened pages would loose the content and turn blank. Then by creating a shortcut on the desktop to where the cache was built and stored or the hard drive, a user could remove all the cache items and thus the browser and all traces were removed. This is not not case with Viv after "Clear Private Data" is selected as many items remain and I have yet to learn where the cache on the hard drive is stored; perhaps it is under a CSS sheet, I don't know,

4. Finally, since there is no Home button, and I do not like the default start page, I use the workaround by entering the page I want displayed at startup by using the specific pages option. However, if the clear private data option is used after an Internet session, the page url is cleared. Is there any way to have Viv retain the desired url such as it does with the homepage url? Perhaps this needs to be under the privacy section along with cookies and passwords.

Any feedback would be appreciated but as it can be seen, none of the above items are critical items, just dream schemes for making Viv the best browser available and with options not available by most other browsers; with exception of SRWare Iron (64-Bit) which is also a chrome clone but does offer the option of a home page button in the event a user does not want the start page default that is typical with most chrome clone browsers.

Thank you.

• Hi,

I guess this can help -> WebRTC Network Limiter. I used option "Use my proxy sever (If present)".

Then it couldn't detect my address in tests:
    https://www.doileak.com
    https://ipleak.net/
    https://www.browserleaks.com/webrtc#webrtc-disable

But sure it would be much much better to have native option in Vivaldi to disable it. I mean to completely disable WebRTC. Not to use complicated and less safe way using external Extension to do basics.

• Cool, many thanks!

• just signed-up to say that you could reach some of the settings (cookies, javascript exceptions, etc.) if you click the favicon, and then 'site settings' at the bottom.

The address bar shows 'vivaldi://settings/content', but entering this manually takes you to the general settings page.

• Given all the hard work on themes etc I assume lots has changed in regards to my original post?

• As of SS 1.3.534.3 (Developer Build) dev (64-bit), WebRTC IP leaks are stopped [yay]. The next privacy-breaching item i'd love V to block is HTML5 Canvas Fingerprinting.
    …....................................................................................
    My on-SSD OS = Linux Mint x64 17.3 KDE 4.14.2.

• Awesome to see some privacy/security related enhancements. I look forward to many more.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.