What was your first computer?

• My first computer, apart from a Sinclair programmable calculator, was a Sinclair ZX80. I was fascinated and started learning how to program. I remember reading about the CHR$ instruction and figured out how to get it to write on the screen Hello World one character at a time. I thought I was very clever until I turned over the page of the manual and learnt about strings and found I could do it in one command. Computers were brilliant because they would do exactly what they were told—unlike the kids I was teaching chemistry at the time.
    My next computer was a BBC Model B (Much better manual and you could save on 5¼" discs!) I switched to teaching computers and found myself also teaching the staff how to use them. I learned how to network the computers using a 380Z fileserver. I bought a 10MB hard drive thinking "I'll NEVER fill that!"
    From the BBC B I went to Acorn Archimedes RISCOS computers - my favourite machines of all time. I still miss their 3 button mouse concept where right clicking had the opposite effect to left clicking.
    Sadly Acorn died leaving only it's subsidiary ARM. I moved to PCs.

• Ah.... my old Commodore Vic-20 and the tape drive. That, a soda, and a copy of Compute! magazine machine language software and I was a happy boy. 🙂

• Vivaldi Ambassador

This one Schneider Euro PC in 1989

Imgur

• Wow, I've never heard of that before... Is it related to anything else? Reminds me somewhat of a "grown up" professional take on the Spectrum +3. Hard to imagine now that Europe was once the most diverse and eclectic computer scene and world back in the day.

My first machine was an Atari 800XL which I absolutely loved, even though I got it when when next gen 16/32bit Amigas and STs where already out there (I got a second hand once as a Christmas present). It started a lifelong interest in programming and computers in general. Alas it got stolen when our house was burgled some years later, but it made me a fervent Atarian and I've still got an 800XL, STe and a TT030 now.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

Grade 1, 1966. We had an abacus in the classroom.

• Vivaldi Ambassador

@krystal said in What was your first computer?:

Wow, I've never heard of that before... Is it related to anything else? Reminds me somewhat of a "grown up" professional take on the Spectrum +3. Hard to imagine now that Europe was once the most diverse and eclectic computer scene and world back in the day.

My first machine was an Atari 800XL which I absolutely loved, even though I got it when when next gen 16/32bit Amigas and STs where already out there (I got a second hand once as a Christmas present). It started a lifelong interest in programming and computers in general. Alas it got stolen when our house was burgled some years later, but it made me a fervent Atarian and I've still got an 800XL, STe and a TT030 now.

Schneider is a French company that continues to manufacture PC, they have a basic laptop of quite good quality for less than € 150 (Schneider SCL141CTP) in its range, although currently they are mainly dedicated to automation and industrial electronics.

• Here's my first one:
    alt text

Just kidding 😉 🤓

My first was a Sharp MZ-700 (1982).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_MZ

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.