An option to hide Speed Dial

• I know some people probably like the Speed Dial screen, many browsers have something like it, but in those other browsers, the Speed Dial screen can be hidden away. I would like to see an option where Vivaldi can do this too. On startup, I have set Vivaldi to display my homepage (Google Search), but the Speed Dial is there too on another tab. Ideally, I only need the homepage on startup, similarly, if I want a new tab, I would prefer to define what that new tab is. In other browsers, I have set that to the homepage as well. On the whole though, Vivaldi is shaping up well, and with a few choice extensions, is running the way I like it, and looking forward to seeing more improved function and stability (it has only had 1 ABEND so far in a week of usage).

• @DRGreen7:

On startup, I have set Vivaldi to display my homepage (Google Search), but the Speed Dial is there too on another tab.

This is a known bug. For now, use the Startup with specific pages option.

If you don't like the speed dial, you don't have to use it. Use the Quick Commands Dialogue (F2) to open new pages instead.

• @DRGreen7:

I know some people probably like the Speed Dial screen, many browsers have something like it, but in those other browsers, the Speed Dial screen can be hidden away. I would like to see an option where Vivaldi can do this too.

On startup, I have set Vivaldi to display my homepage (Google Search), but the Speed Dial is there too on another tab.
    Ideally, I only need the homepage on startup, similarly, if I want a new tab, I would prefer to define what that new tab is. In other browsers, I have set that to the homepage as well.

On the whole though, Vivaldi is shaping up well, and with a few choice extensions, is running the way I like it, and looking forward to seeing more improved function and stability (it has only had 1 ABEND so far in a week of usage).

This will solve your problem

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-start-page-pro/mjfahldkpjhcnfbbmdhpjolcjpcfhcpj

• I tried the option of Startup with a specific page/s, and the results were the same as Startup with Homepage; The Homepage and the Speed Dial page.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work as you expected it to.

• I tried the "New Tab Start Page Pro" extension as suggested, and I was amused to see that pressing the "+" button to get a new tab generated 2 new tabs; one with the Quick Dial, and one with the page specified in the extension configuration.

It was not quite the solution I was looking for. But thanks anyway.

It used to work perfectly. Now it appears it doesn't work on some systems - especially some Linux systems.

• It may well be a platform issue, I am using Win 7 Home Premium SP1 with Vivaldi 1.0.435.42.x64
    If it works for you, you may be running a different version/platform.

Perhaps so. I haven't tried it in a long time, but I just now did, and it works fine with Vivaldi 32 on Win10 X64.

• @DRGreen7:

I tried the option of Startup with a specific page/s, and the results were the same as Startup with Homepage; The Homepage and the Speed Dial page.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work as you expected it to.

No double tab here. Not in Win10 nor in Manjaro linux.

Be sure you don't have vivaldi set to start with hompage, last session should be fine. It's what I use.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.