Don't copy automatically highlighted address bar text

• Hi, When I start typing in the address bar, for example [i]tr[/i] to go to [i]translate.google.com[/i], the autocompleted end of the address is highlighted and copied to the [b]mouse middle-click clipboard[/b], even though I haven't selected anything, let alone touched the mouse. This seems silly – I now have "anslate.google.com" in the clipboard, why would I want that? At the same time it erases whatever I had wanted to paste to the translator. How to fix this?

• Vivaldi Team

@kumiponi:

Hi,

When I start typing in the address bar, for example tr to go to translate.google.com, the autocompleted end of the address is highlighted and copied to the mouse middle-click clipboard, even though I haven't selected anything, let alone touched the mouse. This seems silly – I now have "anslate.google.com" in the clipboard, why would I want that? At the same time it erases whatever I had wanted to paste to the translator. How to fix this?

Yep, you're right. It does copy it to the middle click cllpboard. I tried on Windows, doesn't happen there. Anyhow, is this a bug? I think it is. Anyone think it's a feature? :)

//C

• @christian:

Yep, you're right. It does copy it to the middle click cllpboard. I tried on Windows, doesn't happen there. Anyhow, is this a bug? I think it is. Anyone think it's a feature? :)

Most likely, it is the X clipboard which is activated whenever X sees selected text. A standard feature of X, which is why you cannot reproduce it on Windows. (I am not able to reproduce it either on Linux, because I disabled the middle-click clipboard globally).

Although this arises from a feature of X, the way Vivaldi handles it makes it pretty much a bug: the remainder of the URL is selected, but not from a user's action (so IMHO this should not copy the text to the clipboard) and also it is only the remainder of the URL that is copied. So if not a bug, it is still completely useless as is.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.