My Wish List

• For a technical preview this browser is looking promising! Hopefully they can restore the old Opera magic. Here's my wish list of features: - Sessions / Session Manager - Click-to-play (for video and plugins) - Adobe Flash support?? (at least it doesn't seem to load the plugin on my WIn8.1 laptop, haven't tried on a Win7 machine) - Confirm on Exit - Be able to turn off password manager - custom themes - When right-clicking a link, have an option to open the link in a tab in the background (same as Ctrl-click, but it's nice to actually have the menu option) - Javascript options/controls - Be able to set default download location

• I am needing a Session Manager for now

themes… yeah ok, but I miss the skins so much, if possible, bring it back

• First of all i need a portable version

• @streunerx:

First of all i need a portable version

That was discussed a lot of times.

It's actually pretty easy to get a proper portable version

Just download the installer, unpack it with 7zip, place a file inside it (same level as vivaldi.exe) named stp.viv containg the text

../

That's all.

The user profile will be created inside that folder, no matter its actual placement.

It's longer to explain than to do it … ;)

• @The_Solutor:

@streunerx:

First of all i need a portable version

That was discussed a lot of times.

It's actually pretty easy to get a proper portable version

As someone who actually did it for a few weeks, I would disagree…

@The_Solutor:

Just download the installer, unpack it with 7zip, place a file inside it (same level as vivaldi.exe) named stp.viv containg the text

../

That's all.

The user profile will be created inside that folder, no matter its actual placement.

It's longer to explain than to do it … ;)

Except that if you are trying to be "proper" portable - i.e. USB key - then this solution really isn't very good at all! The Chromium caching is HORRIBLE: it is constantly reading and writing big cache files to the user directory - so on flash memory it is reeeaaaallllyyy reeeeaaaalllllyyy sssllllooooowwww.

The only way I could actually use Vivaldi from a USB key was by making a batch file to create a user directory on the local hard disk, copy the user data from USB to hard disk, then run Vivaldi. After using Vivaldi, I ran another batch file to copy the user data back to the USB key and delete the local copy.

Until Vivaldi automatically selects the fastest drive for cache, trying to run it from USB is not a solution…

• @mossman:

Except that if you are trying to be "proper" portable - i.e. USB key - then this solution really isn't very good at all! The Chromium caching is HORRIBLE: it is constantly reading and writing big cache files to the user directory - so on flash memory it is reeeaaaallllyyy reeeeaaaalllllyyy sssllllooooowwww.

Proper portability has nothing to do with that.

You are asking for improvements/tweaks over a proper portable installation.

You're right the chromium caching is horrible but is horrible on standard installation too.

An option o move the cache elsewhere would be welcome.

–disk-cache-dir

Just set somewhere outside the USB.

• That could indeed be useful - if I use the USB install again I might try changing it to cache in %TEMP%/Vivaldi and then delete that directory on exit.

• Decided to raise this thread from the dead since I spent a little time this week tweaking my USB copy of Vivaldi and now it works very nicely indeed!

So for anyone who's interested, here's a relatively easy and useful portable solution:

To start with; the "installation"… if you already have a copy on your PC, the easiest thing to do is simply copy everything:
    from c:\users[user name]\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application
    to [USB drive]:\Vivaldi\Application

You can also copy your User Data files to the USB version as well if you like.

Then, I just created the following two batch files in the [USB drive]:\Vivaldi directory:

vivaldi.bat

Application\vivaldi.exe --disk-cache-dir="%TEMP%\Vivaldi"
    rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi
    rmdir /s /q %TEMP%\Vivaldi

vivaldi-userdata.bat

mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\"
    mkdir "%TEMP%\Vivaldi"
    xcopy "User Data\*.*" "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\" /e /j /h /r /y
    Application\vivaldi.exe --disk-cache-dir="%TEMP%\Vivaldi"
    xcopy "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\*.*" "User Data\" /e /j /h /r /y
    rmdir /s /q %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Vivaldi
    rmdir /s /q %TEMP%\Vivaldi

The first file will run a clean copy of Vivaldi as quickly as possible on any PC you plug the USB key into. This is useful for just quickly looking something up, checking your webmail etc. It will clean the PC of all temporary files after closing.

The second file will copy all your user profile from a copy in [USB drive]:\Vivaldi\User Data to the host PC, run Vivaldi (with the faster host PC cache), copy the User Data back to USB after closing and then clean up the PC. This is useful if you want to run Vivaldi on a random PC for a couple of hours, with access to all your bookmarks and other standard settings. It is slower than the first file since it takes a couple of minutes to copy the ~250MB of user data before and after running Vivaldi.

The great thing, having created these batch files, is that I don't have to think about copy data or cleaning the host PC any more - just insert the USB key, double-click the option I want and use Vivaldi. Afterwards, just let it clean itself up while I move on to something else. :)

Edit: delete the User Data\Default\Cache and User Data\Default\Media Cache from the USB key to speed up the copying of files backwards and forwards - there can be thousands of files in there and they're not used anyway since the scripts do the caching on the local hard disk instead.

• @Sajadi:

• Advanced toolbar/toolbar button customization - i want to place UI elements where i want to have them or being able to remove them from the UI

@dragonmastr:

• custom themes

If you know CSS you can do a ton of stuff with the UI. Here is a thread that has a tutorial on using it and code snippets.

Looks like your connection to Vivaldi Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.