Browser response is sluggish
I've using Vivaldi as my primary browser on both my Linux Mint desktop and my Windows 10 laptop for years. I gave up Firefox in favor of it. I've enjoyed using it on a daily basis, which involves checking my gmail and having a few additional tabs open for browsing, e-shopping, etc. It's always been reliable and fast. But in the past six months or so I've noticed a marked drop in performance. It literally takes seconds (5-10) for any mouse clicks to produce a result. If I'm checking my emails, for example, and I click on on an email it'll take seconds for it to open. If I'm browsing a website and I click on a link, same thing. If I push the back button, once again I'll have to wait seconds for it to respond. It's gotten to the point where it's nearly impossible to really get anything done on it. And I have only 3 or 4 tabs open and 3 extensions (AdGuard, Bitwarden, and Save to Pocket) active. In contrast, I can run Opera with 6 workspaces, each containing 10-15 tabs open, at lightening speed. I've cleared everything from the browser. That didn't help. I've contemplated creating a new profile but I honestly don't want to start fresh with the browser and spend all the I've spent previously recustomizing it. It's just that I do some pretty essential work on Vivaldi and the thought of replacing it with another browser feels unsavory. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
There are a lot of potential reasons - it could be a particular website, extension, 3rd-party software or even corrupted data. As your experience seems to be an isolated case, I'd have to ask you a couple of things:
- Are you experiencing the same issue on your Windows 10 laptop as well?
- Did you try creating a clean profile or simply opening the guest window (and closing other Vivaldi windows) just to verify whether the problem is universal to Vivaldi on your desktop?
- Did you try any of the basic troubleshooting?
There are a couple of other things to try in such a scenario, but let's just start with these, and let us know how it went.
iambozdar last edited by iambozdar
Recommendation: Gentoo and Arch distributions are so complex that it is always better to ask for help in their own forums. They always have a different way to set up a simple thing than the rest of the Linux distros.
@pafflick I just saw your reply. Thank you for responding. I've cleaned cache, history, cookies, etc. I have not tried creating a clean profile, as I had done that only a few months ago. I do not see the same issue on my Windows laptop. I've instinctively tried most of the basic troubleshooting steps, but not all. I will do all of them and open a Guest window and report back to you shortly. Best regards.
I'm seeing similar behaviour on my Fedora 36 / KDE. Open a new tab or a window and then do a Google search, clicking or CTRL+clicking on them appears to do nothing and then after 5-10 seconds Vivaldi reacts and loads the clicked link.
Right clicking on a new page gives the same sluggish response, 5-10 seconds before it gives any response.
It's not site specific, I do a bing search, load any page and it's always the same sluggish behaviour.
(On top of that opening a new window no longer puts the input focus to the address bar but I'll create a separate topic for that)